• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the way I see it:

13-0 Clemson is in
12-0 ND is in
12-1 UGA is in

Then you'd have, for scenario's sake, a 12-1 michigan who has at least 3 ranked wins and their only loss was by 7 on the road in week 1 against 12-0 ND.

Also 12-1 Oklahoma, who also has likely 3+ ranked wins who's only loss was against a ranked Texas by 3

I don't see both of them getting bumped by a team that didn't win their division, even if it's Alabama. Remember - had OSU been 12-1 last year and not lost to Iowa, they were in easily over Alabama. Even at 11-2, it was a serious discussion.

Problem is, in the hypothetical situation. I dont see Bama sliding past 5 if they lose to LSU. Cause you know its going to be a "close loss" if LSU wins.

Theyll then pummel Miss State and Auburn (both mediocre at best) and hop into the top 4 when whoever loses the SEC title game takes their 2nd lost

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been over this on this site ad nauseum. Autobids is the worst idea possible for doing anything post season. It solves nothing, promotes crappy schedules where you rest up your players and help lower injury risks by scheduling even worse OOC games than they do now since they would no longer be more than exhibition games, and would leave out way better teams in favor of so-called champions.

This year is a hard time to bang that drum. I don't care if UW ends up winning the Pac, there isn't a team from this conference that deserves a playoff slot. Period. More or less, should they go in over a 1 loss team on the back of a really solid schedule.

Still, your idea that you actually WISH for bad outcomes just so you can do something to prevent future bad outcomes defies anything that resemble logic and belies the fact you have an agenda you desperately want filled and don't care how bad the sport is broken to get there.

I disagree with this completely. No longer would any AD (or coaches like Mike Leach) have to worry about scheduling multi good OOC games, IMO it would explode into money for big P5 schools playing sponsored OOC neutral site games or just home and homes. There is enough money to finally incentivize conference challenges like in basketball since if you lose it doesn’t hurt you at all.

Does the Pac12 deserve a champ (besides obviously America’s team) probably not, but what is the point of conferences then? This is why they should never have opened pandora’s box of doing the BCS then the playoffs. It has taken away from bowl games which in turn has led to G5’s having a legitimate argument. Without the BCS or playoffs, Boise State never beats Oklahoma, Utah never beats Alabama nor does UCF beat Auburn. College football started whoring itself out long ago, it might as well go all the way instead of playing just the tip.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, in the hypothetical situation. I dont see Bama sliding past 5 if they lose to LSU. Cause you know its going to be a "close loss" if LSU wins.

Theyll then pummel Miss State and Auburn (both mediocre at best) and hop into the top 4 when whoever loses the SEC title game takes their 2nd lost
If they lose to LSU, I see next week's top 6 as:

1. Clemson
2. LSU
3. ND
4. michigan
5. UGA
6. Alabama

ND and Clemson aren't dropping if they're unbeaten, and LSU is obviously going to be ahead of them. michigan and UGA both face top 15 opponents this weekend, and if they win, they'll both be ahead of Bama. Both Clemson and ND are likely to win out, meaning they're unbeaten to end the year. Even if michigan isn't ahead of Bama after beating Penn State, they will be if they win at Ohio State. Lastly, it's obvious the SEC champ is in.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this completely. No longer would any AD (or coaches like Mike Leach) have to worry about scheduling multi good OOC games, IMO it would explode into money for big P5 schools playing sponsored OOC neutral site games or just home and homes. There is enough money to finally incentivize conference challenges like in basketball since if you lose it doesn’t hurt you at all.

Does the Pac12 deserve a champ (besides obviously America’s team) probably not, but what is the point of conferences then? This is why they should never have opened pandora’s box of doing the BCS then the playoffs. It has taken away from bowl games which in turn has led to G5’s having a legitimate argument. Without the BCS or playoffs, Boise State never beats Oklahoma, Utah never beats Alabama nor does UCF beat Auburn. College football started whoring itself out long ago, it might as well go all the way instead of playing just the tip.
We will have to disagree then.

I would DEMAND the termination of an AD for scheduling a bruising tough team and any starter they played got knocked out for their only games that matter. Again, you cannot compare football to basketball where the risks of injuries based on the level of play entirely doesn't exist. At all. Hell, there are teams right now that schedule Mercer and garbage because they can and use them as bye weeks. You think somehow that changes when there is even less reason to care about polls and what the quality of those games means when having extra bye weeks can give you a competitive advantage? You are entirely out of your mind to think that way. We have proof all around us now of how that would go down.

The purpose of conferences is joint TV revenue and buying power. That's 80% of it. The other 20% is established rivalry access in regular most every year matchups. It has ZERO to do with determining the national championship. And it should stay that way.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they lose to LSU, I see next week's top 6 as:

1. Clemson
2. LSU
3. ND
4. michigan
5. UGA
6. Alabama

ND and Clemson aren't dropping if they're unbeaten, and LSU is obviously going to be ahead of them. michigan and UGA both face top 15 opponents this weekend, and if they win, they'll both be ahead of Bama. Both Clemson and ND are likely to win out, meaning they're unbeaten to end the year. Even if michigan isn't ahead of Bama after beating Penn State, they will be if they win at Ohio State. Lastly, it's obvious the SEC champ is in.

I'd love for UGA to beat Kentucky, but then lose to Auburn somehow.

But then beat an undefeated Bama in the SEC title game.

While Ohio State/Michigan, Oklahoma and Washington State all win out. (With Clemson and ND going undefeated)

Gonna stick a 2 loss SEC team in over 3 1 loss teams because SEC!!!11!!?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love for UGA to beat Kentucky, but then lose to Auburn somehow.

But then beat an undefeated Bama in the SEC title game.

While Ohio State/Michigan, Oklahoma and Washington State all win out. (With Clemson and ND going undefeated)

Gonna stick a 2 loss SEC team in over 3 1 loss teams because SEC!!!11!!?
In that case, Bama would get in over UGA, and it'd be ND, Clemson, Ohio State/michigan, and Bama.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, wanting more chaos than we already have and already have had in prior years simply to push harder to create new formats to help prevent it in the future seems very odd.

Like wanting to wish for someone to commit a crime simply so you can create laws to help prevent that crime in the future.

It's insane IMO.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case, Bama would get in over UGA, and it'd be ND, Clemson, Ohio State/michigan, and Bama.

So Bama gets in over a team they literally just lost their conference championship to? :lol: That would be good for college football........not

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to disagree then.

I would DEMAND the termination of an AD for scheduling a bruising tough team and any starter they played got knocked out for their only games that matter. Again, you cannot compare football to basketball where the risks of injuries based on the level of play entirely doesn't exist. At all. Hell, there are teams right now that schedule Mercer and garbage because they can and use them as bye weeks. You think somehow that changes when there is even less reason to care about polls and what the quality of those games means when having extra bye weeks can give you a competitive advantage? You are entirely out of your mind to think that way. We have proof all around us now of how that would go down.

The purpose of conferences is joint TV revenue and buying power. That's 80% of it. The other 20% is established rivalry access in regular most every year matchups. It has ZERO to do with determining the national championship. And it should stay that way.

Sure, injury risks but that IMO is a cowardly excuse. Injuries happen all the time without a game being involved. The risk reward for a player is better to do that type of OOC for essentially every player not in the SEC to get extra tape, especially since nearly all conference have different styles.

I get what your saying but since there has been a playoff nearly all blue bloods would make more money being independent than they are now. The only reason for conferences anymore is because schools have to schedule non revenue sports and it’s easier.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, injury risks but that IMO is a cowardly excuse. Injuries happen all the time without a game being involved. The risk reward for a player is better to do that type of OOC for essentially every player not in the SEC to get extra tape, especially since nearly all conference have different styles.

I get what your saying but since there has been a playoff nearly all blue bloods would make more money being independent than they are now. The only reason for conferences anymore is because schools have to schedule non revenue sports and it’s easier.
SEC teams can get away with their OOC, and pretty much ALL of the rest of us have added a yearly FCS team.. because they can and it doesn't hurt their chances of reaching a high ranking. We have ALL of the evidence we need to see how it would play out if OOC games no longer had any impact at all on reaching the playoffs. ALL of them would be against teams where you can play your greenhorns, rest up your starters, and be in a better place to face your real opponents. It just seems obvious to me.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC teams can get away with their OOC, and pretty much ALL of the rest of us have added a yearly FCS team.. because they can and it doesn't hurt their chances of reaching a high ranking. We have ALL of the evidence we need to see how it would play out if OOC games no longer had any impact at all on reaching the playoffs. ALL of them would be against teams where you can play your greenhorns, rest up your starters, and be in a better place to face your real opponents. It just seems obvious to me.

It should. Especially in a year like this one.

They always use the "THEY BEAT UP ON THEMSELVES" claim for the SEC

I believe the SEC does not have a single win vs a top 25 team (CFP ranking) in OOC this season.

Couldn't it be just a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other? But that media SEC #1!!!11!! perception keeps getting thrown in our faces.

You pretty much make my point here that the SEC has different rules than everyone else

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should. Especially in a year like this one.

They always use the "THEY BEAT UP ON THEMSELVES" claim for the SEC

I believe the SEC does not have a single win vs a top 25 team (CFP ranking) in OOC this season.

Couldn't it be just a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other? But that media SEC #1!!!11!! perception keeps getting thrown in our faces.

You pretty much make my point here that the SEC has different rules than everyone else
No, I pretty much make my point that going to an autobid would only make what you think you hate about the SEC schedules become more common and involve everyone.

Again, I'm not nearly as against a 6 team playoff if it is just expanding the current format, although I really don't think we need it and it won't do more than make everyone bitch about 7 or 8 being left off, but autobids are entirely dumb IMO.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always cracks me up on how these mediocre SEC teams beating up on eachother equates to "STRENGTH" but then you get the same thing in say the Pac 12 and it means the conference is dookie.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But hypothetically should a 1 loss Alabama who once again doesnt win their division really be getting in over a chance of THREE 1 loss P5 conference champs? I'd say hell no.

If it is one loss OSU? Absolutely — because OSU got demolished by Purdue.

If it is one loss UM? It’d be a coin flip, depending on how Bama looks in their loss. If it is a close loss (to Georgia in CCG) — Yes, Bama should get in. If they lose convincingly — no they shouldn’t.

If it is one loss Oklahoma — Yes, Bama should get in over them. OU lost to Texas and got taken to OT by Army.

I’ve said for two weeks — the PAC and Big 12 would need a lot of help to get in. Now the PAC is done and the Big 12 needs a ton of help to have a shot.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is one loss OSU? Absolutely — because OSU got demolished by Purdue.

If it is one loss UM? It’d be a coin flip, depending on how Bama looks in their loss. If it is a close loss (to Georgia in CCG) — Yes, Bama should get in. If they lose convincingly — no they shouldn’t.

If it is one loss Oklahoma — Yes, Bama should get in over them. OU lost to Texas and got taken to OT by Army.

I’ve said for two weeks — the PAC and Big 12 would need a lot of help to get in. Now the PAC is done and the Big 12 needs a ton of help to have a shot.

I'm in no way advocating for Ohio State, even if we win out i dont wanna see us in the playoff. I'd rather have a chance in a NY6 game and regroup for next season.

Bama getting an automatic benefit of the doubt every year is complete BS though.