• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always cracks me up on how these mediocre SEC teams beating up on eachother equates to "STRENGTH" but then you get the same thing in say the Pac 12 and it means the conference is dookie.
oooo kind of bad example this year. The Pac really is a steaming pile of shit this year. All of us. The two they have ranked is about right and both of them don't look the part of a national contender.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama being good doesnt mean the rest of the conference isnt just a steamy pile of mediocre

It's not set that Bama will be the one getting in and, truth be told, I'm not really seeing a conference out there that's really anything other than a couple of decent to good teams and then a steaming pile of mediocrity.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oooo kind of bad example this year. The Pac really is a steaming pile of shit this year. All of us. The two they have ranked is about right and both of them don't look the part of a national contender.

Outside of Bama in the SEC

I think LSU is good but theyre nothing special. Same with UGA

Kentucky has a good defense but a pretty tragically bad offense.

The rest is just mediocre-bad

But the way some pundits talk you'd swear the SEC was full of juggernauts top to bottom. When in fact its no different than the B1G or Big 12. 1-3 good teams and a bunch of mediocre inbetween with a few awful at the bottom.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, wanting more chaos than we already have and already have had in prior years simply to push harder to create new formats to help prevent it in the future seems very odd.

Like wanting to wish for someone to commit a crime simply so you can create laws to help prevent that crime in the future.

It's insane IMO.

People just get it in their minds that a 4 team playoff isn’t legit. They can’t defend it, but they know there needs to be at least 6 teams. 4 is working perfectly, no team you can legitimately complain about being left out so far, but 6!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should. Especially in a year like this one.

They always use the "THEY BEAT UP ON THEMSELVES" claim for the SEC

I believe the SEC does not have a single win vs a top 25 team (CFP ranking) in OOC this season.

Couldn't it be just a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other? But that media SEC #1!!!11!! perception keeps getting thrown in our faces.

You pretty much make my point here that the SEC has different rules than everyone else

The big reason why the SEC is perceived the way it is, is because they don't have any truly bad losses OOC(outside of Arkansas). The B1G for example has lost to Akron, BYU, Eastern Michigan, Troy, Temple, Kansas, ASU. And I may even be missing some. I think it's pretty obvious the SEC is the best conference this year, and it's not particularly close. Also, some of the good wins for the B1G OOC(BC and Texas) are negated by those same teams losing to EMU/Mizzou and Temple respectively.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bama gets in over a team they literally just lost their conference championship to? :lol: That would be good for college football........not
Says the Ohio State fan who’s team literally already did it first.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in no way advocating for Ohio State, even if we win out i dont wanna see us in the playoff. I'd rather have a chance in a NY6 game and regroup for next season.

Bama getting an automatic benefit of the doubt every year is complete BS though.

Their QB hasn’t thrown a pass in the 4th quarter, their starting QB has had to play a full 3 quarters yet. They have outscored teams in the 1st half by ONE HUNDRED POINTS more than the next closest team.

Until it is proven it is undeserving — they will continue to get the benefit of the doubt.

It is no different than UM right now. Everyone keeps saying UM has the best shot to win out, but IMO, it is OSU, because until UM proves they can beat OSU — they will be the underdog in my eyes.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their QB hasn’t thrown a pass in the 4th quarter, their starting QB has had to play a full 3 quarters yet. They have outscored teams in the 1st half by ONE HUNDRED POINTS more than the next closest team.

Until it is proven it is undeserving — they will continue to get the benefit of the doubt.

It is no different than UM right now. Everyone keeps saying UM has the best shot to win out, but IMO, it is OSU, because until UM proves they can beat OSU — they will be the underdog in my eyes.

If they lose to LSU and fail to win their division, they have proven to be undeserving. Unless a bunch of other conference champs end up with 2 losses.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big reason why the SEC is perceived the way it is, is because they don't have any truly bad losses OOC(outside of Arkansas). The B1G for example has lost to Akron, BYU, Eastern Michigan, Troy, Temple, Kansas, ASU. And I may even be missing some. I think it's pretty obvious the SEC is the best conference this year, and it's not particularly close. Also, some of the good wins for the B1G OOC(BC and Texas) are negated by those same teams losing to EMU/Mizzou and Temple respectively.

I dont see how anyone can watch Miss State and Texas A&M and honestly say "wow these are good teams"

Bama is elite. UGA and LSU are good but not world beaters. Kentucky is on the lower end of good.....the rest mediocre-bad.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they lose to LSU and fail to win their division, they have proven to be undeserving. Unless a bunch of other conference champs end up with 2 losses.
And this is something you actually hope for. So it can lead to changes that prevent it.

You want the system to be broke so there can be a fix to it, rather than simply wanting the current system to function as advertised.

It isn't broken now. At all. It doesn't need fixing. And it doesn't need some string of events to create a break that isn't there now, just to create a 'fix' that actually does break the sport.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how anyone can watch Miss State and Texas A&M and honestly say "wow these are good teams"

Bama is elite. UGA and LSU are good but not world beaters. Kentucky is on the lower end of good.....the rest mediocre-bad.
Can’t you do that with pretty much every conference?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t you do that with pretty much every conference?

Yes, I said that a few posts back. The SEC as a whole is no better nor worse than the Big 12 or Big 10. You could argue that Bama is better than the top teams in the other conferences, but as a whole body there isnt much difference.

The ACC and Pac 12 you could argue are on the weaker side this season.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is something you actually hope for. So it can lead to changes that prevent it.

You want the system to be broke so there can be a fix to it, rather than simply wanting the current system to function as advertised.

It isn't broken now. At all. It doesn't need fixing. And it doesn't need some string of events to create a break that isn't there now, just to create a 'fix' that actually does break the sport.

The system is already broke. How you gonna break whats already broken?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the word good is subjective in nature. Are both of them top 25 good? I would say yes. The back end of the top 25 in the CFP is very muddled. There are flaws with everyone. It all comes back to what you do OOC. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss all played OOC games either in a true road game on neutral field and all won. A&M played #2 Clemson to a close win. If leagues want to change the perception, you have to beat them OOC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are all based off of an initial preseason ranking which is based off of pretty much nothing but speculation.....which effects everything thru out the year along with your expected human biases.

no they aren't.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The system is already broke. How you gonna break whats already broken?
By implementing a system that is worse and completely negates all non conference games as meaningless like how you want it.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the word good is subjective in nature. Are both of them top 25 good? I would say yes. The back end of the top 25 in the CFP is very muddled. There are flaws with everyone. It all comes back to what you do OOC. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss all played OOC games either in a true road game on neutral field and all won. A&M played #2 Clemson to a close win. If leagues want to change the perception, you have to beat them OOC.

Those OOC games were against

Louisville (2-6)
Miami (5-3, unranked, 4th place in their ACC division)
Washington (6-3, unranked)
Kansas State (3-5)
Texas Tech (5-3, unranked, 5th in Big 12)

Murderers row..........

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this completely. No longer would any AD (or coaches like Mike Leach) have to worry about scheduling multi good OOC games, IMO it would explode into money for big P5 schools playing sponsored OOC neutral site games or just home and homes. There is enough money to finally incentivize conference challenges like in basketball since if you lose it doesn’t hurt you at all.

Does the Pac12 deserve a champ (besides obviously America’s team) probably not, but what is the point of conferences then? This is why they should never have opened pandora’s box of doing the BCS then the playoffs. It has taken away from bowl games which in turn has led to G5’s having a legitimate argument. Without the BCS or playoffs, Boise State never beats Oklahoma, Utah never beats Alabama nor does UCF beat Auburn. College football started whoring itself out long ago, it might as well go all the way instead of playing just the tip.

Conference are just a group of teams who decide to play each other every year. They aren't even formatted to try and find the best team in the conference, they ignore OOC games completely etc.

Why does winning your conference somehow make you deserving over other teams? Because a group of teams go together and threw a label on it that means something? Hell no.

And yet at the same time it's not a coincidence that all but 2 of the CFP teams have been conference winners. Because usually beating all those teams means you've done something.