• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The extra point experiment is stupid.

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, it takes the surprise 2 point conversion off the table and It won't change extra point percentage that much. Who knows maybe it would encourage everyone to go for 2 which, in my opinion, would be dumb as well.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will put a ton of pressure on kickers late in games if they eventually adopt the rule

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's much more difficult, unless of course you're Mason Crosby.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, it takes the surprise 2 point conversion off the table and It won't change extra point percentage that much. Who knows maybe it would encourage everyone to go for 2 which, in my opinion, would be dumb as well.

Have to disagree. If you decide to go for 2 from the new position, it might negate the surprise 2 pointer if you planned to try and run it in. But a smart team will then make their QB or atleast A QB the holder. It gives the offense more room to work with if they do infact go for the surprise 2 pointer. And it does put a little more pressure on kickers. The PAT right now is almost automatic considering i think there have been no more than 10 PATs missed over the past 5 years.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I hate most about it.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has there ever been an NFL season where they didn't change the rules?

I mean... technically we're watching a different game every damn year.

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to disagree. If you decide to go for 2 from the new position, it might negate the surprise 2 pointer if you planned to try and run it in. But a smart team will then make their QB or atleast A QB the holder. It gives the offense more room to work with if they do infact go for the surprise 2 pointer. And it does put a little more pressure on kickers. The PAT right now is almost automatic considering i think there have been no more than 10 PATs missed over the past 5 years.

No coach in his right mind would use a surprise 2 point conversion from the 15 when they can run a play from the 2 instead. A coach would probably lose his job over it(Unless he's Bill Belicheat).

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best part about this is the possibility to increase the amount of 2p conversions attempted.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No coach in his right mind would use a surprise 2 point conversion from the 15 when they can run a play from the 2 instead. A coach would probably lose his job over it(Unless he's Bill Belicheat).

Why not?? Again lets say you have a decent backup QB as your holder. He takes the snap and steps up to throw. Your WRs and TE actually have room to work to get open. I agree it takes the option of running for a surprise 2 point conversion off the table. But would you trust say Jimmy Graham or one of the other premier TEs on a jump ball when most of the special teams unit is 2nd stringers to begin with?? More to the point, would you expect some one to try and throw it in for two from the 15??

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not?? Again lets say you have a decent backup QB as your holder. He takes the snap and steps up to throw. Your WRs and TE actually have room to work to get open. I agree it takes the option of running for a surprise 2 point conversion off the table. But would you trust say Jimmy Graham or one of the other premier TEs on a jump ball when most of the special teams unit is 2nd stringers to begin with?? More to the point, would you expect some one to try and throw it in for two from the 15??

If Payton runs Graham out there on STs the opposing coach should know something is up because he's a liability as a blocker. They never keep him on the field for running plays, if they put him on the field to block for a kick, I'm calling their bluff.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Payton runs Graham out there on STs the opposing coach should know something is up because he's a liability as a blocker. They never keep him on the field for running plays, if they put him on the field to block for a kick, I'm calling their bluff.

Call their bluff. Reality is, this would change up who teams send out on extra points in general. If you change up who you normally send out, it has already tipped your hand. Worst case, you kick the extra point as normal. Best case, you change up WHO you put on the field for extra points in general and force teams to actually play football every play. Right now the extra point is pretty much automatic. I agree with the competition committee, that NEEDS to change. Otherwise just make a TD worth 7 and forget it. Since MOST "surprise" 2 point attempts come in obvious situations any way.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree that having the 2 pointer and 1 pointer from different spots is just stupid. So if its a bad snap the holder has to run 15 yards?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree that having the 2 pointer and 1 pointer from different spots is just stupid. So if its a bad snap the holder has to run 15 yards?

As a Cowboys fan, you of all people should know, if its a bobbled snap from the 2 or the 15, its likely a lost cause in any case. Since in most cases there will be no one in a pattern to catch a pass, so the holder is basically hoping he is lucky enough to outrun the rushers AND that none of them notices he has the ball. They either need to make the PAT more of a challenge, or do away with it.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicking it from the 15 yard line is too easy.

Make them kick it from the 30 yard line.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call their bluff. Reality is, this would change up who teams send out on extra points in general. If you change up who you normally send out, it has already tipped your hand. Worst case, you kick the extra point as normal. Best case, you change up WHO you put on the field for extra points in general and force teams to actually play football every play. Right now the extra point is pretty much automatic. I agree with the competition committee, that NEEDS to change. Otherwise just make a TD worth 7 and forget it. Since MOST "surprise" 2 point attempts come in obvious situations any way.

How are they going to change the personel on these kicks? Getting that extra point will still be the primary concern after any TD unless it's late and you NEED more points. In most situations the ends wouldn't justify the means to weaken your blocking by putting more pass catchers on the field when you dont really need them.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When was the last time anyone even tried a surprise 2 point conversion?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they going to change the personel on these kicks? Getting that extra point will still be the primary concern after any TD unless it's late and you NEED more points. In most situations the ends wouldn't justify the means to weaken your blocking by putting more pass catchers on the field when you dont really need them.

Most Extra point units have at least 2 TEs on them. You dont need to change up personnel aside from having a holder that is capable of throwing an accurate pass. I honestly dont see it as that big a deal from a making the extra point standpoint. And again, how many "surprise" two point attempts have we seen over the last three seasons?? Five or six maybe??

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of this. Instead of 99% of EP(s) being made, it will now be 98%. What's the point?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's much more difficult, unless of course you're Mason Crosby.

You sir surely have not been following football. Crosby corrected his bad year he had 2 years ago and was very good last year. He had one off year out of all the years he has been around. And so far this year in camp has missed like 2 kicks of all the ones they do in practice.