• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The dolphins....yay or nay this year

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely need one more year, but absolutely no reason you cant exceed that this year.
2022 will be a tough year. On the offensive side Will Fuller and Albert Wilson are UFA. Almost the entire LB corps which is their weakness are also UFAs or RFA. Plus they're already projected to be $12M over the cap. Small window. But if anyone can fix the D with those challenges, Flores can.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have 7 pics projected right now for next years draft. As long as the past two years butt load worth of pics and next years pics they could give the AFCE trouble.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2022 will be a tough year. On the offensive side Will Fuller and Albert Wilson are UFA. Almost the entire LB corps which is their weakness are also UFAs or RFA. Plus they're already projected to be $12M over the cap. Small window. But if anyone can fix the D with those challenges, Flores can.
Not really worries about albert wilson, but they can sign fuller if they wish... think they r putting pieces in to see if similar guys will work, like that speed element wr... but yeah will be interesting

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is sold on any rookie QB? Herbert could shit the bed next year and it wouldn't surprise me. Either way I'd rather trust Flo and Grier's opinion as they see the players every day. If he were shit I would think that they would have drafted another option this past year but they didn't.
I get your point, but I think the bigger picture for me is that I don't believe that Tua can develop into a top tier Franchise QB. When you look at guys coming out of the draft, it's always a crap shoot, sure, but you at least get some idea of how you think guys will do.

I've always been a fan of Mayfield - if he could get his head on straight. Looks like he finally has taken that next step. However, the talent was always there and pretty evident.

Burrow showed a ton of potential in his rookie year before the injury. The talent is there and is evident.

You have surprises like Herbert, who end up having a really good year kind of out of nowhere in some ways. Talent flashed, and now the question for him will be can he repeat this since it wasn't exactly expected.

You also end up with guys who people thought would be good, but never quite reached that level where everyone expected them to get to - that's Tua for me until he shows otherwise. It's not like he had a really bad 1st year, I'm not trying to dog on his play. He just didn't quite show the flash and the talent that comes with where he was drafted and the expectations that I think are attached to him.

Going beyond that, my biggest concern, though, for him coming out of the draft was the ability for his body to hold up long-term. He had 3, IIRC, pretty big injuries at Alabama. How is his body going to react to NFL sized defensive guys getting after him? In a year that looks like they clearly tried to protect him in many ways that may have limited his numbers, I'm not sure I saw a ton that makes me believe that in a QB driven league he improve upon his throwing and improve his output when going from 28-29 attempts a game, to in the mid/upper 30's.

While you are correct, they didn't draft another option this year, it's not like there wasn't a ton of smoke coming from that team about them looking at that option before finally deciding not to go in that direction. Smokescreen? Sure, maybe. Sure didn't seem like it, though, with lots of rumors swirling about some inside that organization who share many of the concerns that have been around since he was drafted.

Tua may end up making me eat my words - and that's OK. I'll full on admit if he is able to develop into the QB that the Dolphins think he can be - I'm not not sold on that vision. Time will tell.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, if you aren't factoring in Tua's hip surgery, I think you probably haven't played sports and recovered from something like that. His second year will be different than his first year.

Isn't the idea to win as a starting QB?

He had more wins than Burrow. Herbert won one game more than Tua but Herbert started 15 games.

Tua is a winner. It's highly likely that he will be proving his doubters wrong this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, if you aren't factoring in Tua's hip surgery, I think you probably haven't played sports and recovered from something like that. His second year will be different than his first year.

He had more wins than Burrow. Herbert won one game more than Tua but Herbert started 15 games.

Tua is a winner. It's highly likely that he will be proving his doubters wrong this year.
Regardless of what most people think about Tua in 2021, you guys are set up for a SB run in 2022 along with the Chargers and if things break right the Bengals because rookie QB contracts are spiffy and after 2021 a lot of QBs in the AFC are going to get paid. I think a lot of people are expecting AFC as normal next year but there is always a surprise team or two and I think all of that changes after next year.

Mahomes went to a team that was already a playoff team and consistent division winner. Chiefs haven't been able to stock their team with the type of depth that the Dolphins have a chance to. The three other teams that had nutty draft stock recently were Tennessee (only really hit on a couple of draft picks), the Browns (probably the deepest roster in the AFC right now but how good is Baker?), and the Raiders (drafted about as well as my wife who doesn't watch sports). Miami is the next big thing in the AFC. Probably. The question becomes whether they are that team with Tua or someone next year. I really dont see a scenario where it isnt Tua or someone like Watson. Other teams will be more desperate for a QB in the draft next year imo.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am the Packers ot Texans I would be calling the Dolphins. The Fins have two first round picks in 2023 among other assets. However, the team knows that Tua's next chapter in his career is unwritten. The team isn't desperate to trade.

Flores values a good decision maker at QB and Tua doesn't turn the ball over much. The team will have guys that can get open and make plays downfield. It's not a big leap to invision Tua having a great year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually do factor in that hip - he's had 3 major injuries in 4+ years as a starter...that's fair game to question if his body can hold up year over year.

Wins as a QB is like wins as a pitcher - irrelevant, IMO. Like anything else, it's a team game. Wins are a nice stat, but it's not something I personally focus on.

I would hope he had more wins than Burrow - Burrow is on one of the worst teams in the NFL. The Dolphins, as a team, are set up for way more success than Cincinnati, but tell me you wouldn't be a bit more excited if Burrow were the QB in Miami compared to Tua.

I'll also agree, as another poster pointed out, last years' Dolphins had a ton "go" their way - that kind of thing has a way of balancing out - so it will be interesting to see how the chips fall this year.

I like Tua - don't get me wrong. I'm just not sold on him long-term. As I said - if I'm wrong, I'm wrong - I'm not inherently against the guy. My one step-son is a Dolphins fan - we discuss this often since Tua was drafted, and as a secondary team - I root for them for my kid. So, no ill-will on my end, just my opinion.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua was throwing to a bunch of fringe roster WRs his last few games. At his best, he was very good, I think the game @ ARZ was his most impressive.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also agree, as another poster pointed out, last years' Dolphins had a ton "go" their way - that kind of thing has a way of balancing out - so it will be interesting to see how the chips fall this year.

I like Tua - don't get me wrong. I'm just not sold on him long-term. As I said - if I'm wrong, I'm wrong - I'm not inherently against the guy. My one step-son is a Dolphins fan - we discuss this often since Tua was drafted, and as a secondary team - I root for them for my kid. So, no ill-will on my end, just my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

There is a view on this board by some that the Fins had lucky wins. I don't think that is the case. Well coached teams who have talented players find a way to win. Different guys step up each week and make big plays. The Fins have proven they can win close games when they need to.

RE Tua's future health: There is no guarantee that any player will stay healthy, however, the Fins have invested a lot of resources into protecting him. RE his talent: He will have more playmakers and depth at WR to work with this year which will help him develop his talent.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a view on this board by some that the Fins had lucky wins. I don't think that is the case. Well coached teams who have talented players find a way to win. Different guys step up each week and make big plays. The Fins have proven they can win close games when they need to.

RE Tua's future health: There is no guarantee that any player will stay healthy, however, the Fins have invested a lot of resources into protecting him. RE his talent: He will have more playmakers and depth at WR to work with this year which will help him develop his talent.
[/QUOTE]
Winners win. They make their own luck by preperation. Flo really is bringing a winning outlook to this team.
I pointed out that the fins had everything bgo their way and it was unlikely to happen again. I did not mean to imply that was luck.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winners win. They make their own luck by preperation. Flo really is bringing a winning outlook to this team.
I pointed out that the fins had everything bgo their way and it was unlikely to happen again. I did not mean to imply that was luck.
[/QUOTE]
Every team has lucky wins.

the steelers had a bunch on their way to 11-0.

good teams, with good coaches find ways. Like you said

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/QUOTE]

Flores learned from Belichick. There are a lot of similarities in roster and game planning.

How did everything go the Fins way? What? Enlighten me. There is an argument to be made that howard may not have 10 INTs, however, he could have more if QBs keep throwing his way. What's more likely is we see other guys getting more picks this year.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins started more rookies than any team in the league. These guys will be better this year. When you win 10 games starting rookies, I would say that the future is bright.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flores learned from Belichick. There are a lot of similarities in roster and game planning.

How did everything go the Fins way? What? Enlighten me. There is an argument to be made that howard may not have 10 INTs, however, he could have more if QBs keep throwing his way. What's more likely is we see other guys getting more picks this year.
[/QUOTE]
Several games playing against backup QB's. Some close wins. Nothing that disqualifies the good season.....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually do factor in that hip - he's had 3 major injuries in 4+ years as a starter...that's fair game to question if his body can hold up year over year.

Wins as a QB is like wins as a pitcher - irrelevant, IMO. Like anything else, it's a team game. Wins are a nice stat, but it's not something I personally focus on.

I would hope he had more wins than Burrow - Burrow is on one of the worst teams in the NFL. The Dolphins, as a team, are set up for way more success than Cincinnati, but tell me you wouldn't be a bit more excited if Burrow were the QB in Miami compared to Tua.

Some good points but what if Tua actually sat the whole season rehabbed and built up his strength? Would anyone be questioning him right now? Probably not as no one said a peep about Mahomes or Rogers when they sat. I actually look at him playing through the injury when not 100% as a positive thing. So many athletes take the easy way out and use the excuse to sit. I hate basketball for that reason hang nail I'm not going on the road coach. This kid fought through it expected to start but was a good teammate when Fitz went in. I think the coaches sheltered him for that exact reason he wasn't 100% but he was chomping at the bit to get in there. I won't go through the other reasons as most know them but his WR's towards the end of the year were practice squad. Cinci and LAC had better targets by far I don't think Burrow or Herbert would have had the same numbers in Miami sorry but no way. Just my two cents but I can't wait to see Tua sling it next year he'll have more big plays simply because the targets will be better and make more of it....oline as well.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good points but what if Tua actually sat the whole season rehabbed and built up his strength? Would anyone be questioning him right now? Probably not as no one said a peep about Mahomes or Rogers when they sat. I actually look at him playing through the injury when not 100% as a positive thing. So many athletes take the easy way out and use the excuse to sit. I hate basketball for that reason hang nail I'm not going on the road coach. This kid fought through it expected to start but was a good teammate when Fitz went in. I think the coaches sheltered him for that exact reason he wasn't 100% but he was chomping at the bit to get in there. I won't go through the other reasons as most know them but his WR's towards the end of the year were practice squad. Cinci and LAC had better targets by far I don't think Burrow or Herbert would have had the same numbers in Miami sorry but no way. Just my two cents but I can't wait to see Tua sling it next year he'll have more big plays simply because the targets will be better and make more of it....oline as well.
I'm neither sold on Tua nor a detractor.
If Tua has the Sophomore jinx instead of the 2nd year bounc, would you think less of him?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm neither sold on Tua nor a detractor.
If Tua has the Sophomore jinx instead of the 2nd year bounc, would you think less of him?

If Tua wins two games against the Pats would you think more if him? ( Since you like hypothetical questions)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yes - I'd still question him because I had/have questions about his durability. 4+ years and 3 major injuries - whether he sat our, or not, didn't affect how I felt about him at the draft. I thought he was a major risk as a guy who might not hold up at the NFL level. We'll see. I may be wrong, and if I am - I'll be here. Again, not rooting against the guy - just had my own personal opinion/concerns on him coming into the NFL.

Cincinnati had Higgins as a rookie, Boyd missed time in/out of games with injuries affecting his overall play - Tate missed games, Ross was a 100% bust, their starting TE tore his ACL, and AJ Green looked like he was using a walker to run routes - people see the names, but don't recognize that the play was abysmal.

I don't really know a ton of Miami's issues at WR - but I will bet that Burrow would have made them all better - not only because the WR situation was much closer than I think you realize, but because Burrow elevates the play of the WR room. He's got that kind of ability (or at least showed flashes of it before his injury). To me, that's one of the traits of a great QB - not just his own play, but the ability to raise up those around him - I just don't view Tua in that same light, either. I think he can be good, but I question his ceiling and his durability. Both things that I had about him prior to the draft - and questions that won't be answered until he can get a full healthy season - which may be this year.

Regardless - I wish Tua nothing but health for 2021 so that we can all see what he can do. Best of luck!