• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The committee experiment failed

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have already said this, and i already said the gap between 3 and 4/5/6 is HUGE, clearly those teams are not that good, and whoever is in that position didnt play well enough to separate themselves from 5/6/7 etc... that is the entire point 1-3 are vastly superior teams to 4-8 the further away you get the larger the difference in quality/performance/ability
"clearly 4 is not that good"?

These guys beg to differ....

th

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Everyone was fine with it"? No one thought it was silly to have co-champs or not allow a team a shot because they had to play in a different bowl? No one?
That's going back to the early 1900's, and no they didn't. There wasn't any type of push for a unified champion for a couple of generations after that era.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said earlier I always thought 8 was the way to go. Admittedly, after the first playoff I could see thinking that would be some gauntlet had OSU had to win still one more game to be the champ.

But agree with you it's still my preference for the reasons you gave......I'm just more OK with 4 if that's where they stay

The biggest argument for an 8 team playoff to me based on how I would set it up is that every team would basically control their destiny excluding very unlikely scenarios. I also think a larger playoff might be better for overall competitiveness of the sport. As it is, the same teams always win.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"clearly 4 is not that good"?

These guys beg to differ....

th
The gap between #4 this year and 1-3 is Huge.

Love how rivals kiddies try to move goalposts.

Lets pretend you didnt just spew garbage all over and just say it applies to all years....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the ny6 still holds significant value (to most fans) but after that they are kinda meh not sure what can be done to separate the next 14ish bowls from the other 19 to make them feel significantly better (aside from records of the teams involved)
Going to 4 teams watered down the impact/importance of the big bowls. What was very important and sought after prizes became consolations for not making the CFP. Even during the BCS all of those bowls were very special to the teams that reached them. That is one of the things I didn't care for going to 4.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the ny6 still holds significant value (to most fans) but after that they are kinda meh not sure what can be done to separate the next 14ish bowls from the other 19 to make them feel significantly better (aside from records of the teams involved)
I guess all the bowls help when it comes to gambling as I enjoy the pools I enter, but other than that I agree. way too many games most fans would find insignificant before the "better games" get started.

But I guess for the kids who play in the lesser games they mean something.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest argument for an 8 team playoff to me based on how I would set it up is that every team would basically control their destiny excluding very unlikely scenarios. I also think a larger playoff might be better for overall competitiveness of the sport. As it is, the same teams always win.
8 team playoff would likely come at the expense of auto bids, which would reduce competition and teams would schedule their OOC later in the season like the SEC does now because they dont need to win those games to win the conference and make the playoffs, it would water everythign down and make it garbage

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to 4 teams watered down the impact/importance of the big bowls. What was very important and sought after prizes became consolations for not making the CFP. Even during the BCS all of those bowls were very special to the teams that reached them. That is one of the things I didn't care for going to 4.
oh for sure to an extent but to the G5 the NY6 is still the pinnacle of achievement, and you still have some people who think a Rose bowl is just as good as a natty, just ask OD :D

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You suggested the neb fan was claiming they were the best 4 teams. No one that I've read believes that. Most deserving doesn't necessarily mean best.
agree....and if they had criteria we all knew to determine "most deserving" I'd be more open to keeping it at 4. As it stands, they pick the 4 teams THEN tell us the criteria they used.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same teams always win because those same teams always win at recruiting. There is no amount of playoff expansion that will fix that. Kids get to choose where they want to go. In any given year there are less than 10-15 that can even attract one 5*, more or less the 2-4 that sweep up most of the blue chip players. You cannot level the playing field in college football as long as kids can select which college they want to accept offers from.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already explained what computers cannot see, computers cant see a team that just has a minor fluke for whatever reason (maybe the whole team has norovirus and is shitting their pants on the field, in the most literal sense ) a computer cannot see a team who is beating its conference who is full of crappy teams maybe they get to undefeated or 1 loss by beating inferior competition, a computer cannot gauge execution of assignments on each side of the ball when it can only see box score and stats and efficiency
Actually, a computer can see the competition another team might face.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess all the bowls help when it comes to gambling as I enjoy the pools I enter, but other than that I agree. way too many games most fans would find insignificant before the "better games" get started.

But I guess for the kids who play in the lesser games they mean something.
The games always mean a ton to the younger players, they are getting extra practice for next year and trying to earn that #1 spot.

The impact on fans though i mean, who cares whether or not your team wins or loses against la-tee-dah in the pinstripe bowl aired at noon on a work day? in a battle of 6-6 teams one ends up 7-6 and one ends up 6-7 *twirls finger*

it has significance but as a fan its just a chance to maybe preview (especially with the new redshirt rules) the incoming talent

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO it actually is garbage, would be hard to be anything else. It belongs in a landfill. Literally
and again as I said.....if you would like to learn the correct usage f the word, just ask. Let's start by seeing what you know.

I am really hungry and say I could literally eat 1000 pizzas.
A) correct usage
B) incorrect

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in favor of 2 because of the issues with BYU in '84 and the split title in '91, both of which impacted my team. Yes, I'm old enough that I was a part of the debates over BYU at the time. I would have been fine if they kept it the way it was pre BCS, but accepted that very narrow addition to unify the champion and at least ensure they had to play one nationally recognised team before being handed it. It was a change, and one I was ok with. There was no need to go to 4. It didn't fix anything IMO.
Pretty sure some worthy teams have won the CFP who, under the old rules, don't even get a shot.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already explained what computers cannot see, computers cant see a team that just has a minor fluke for whatever reason (maybe the whole team has norovirus and is shitting their pants on the field, in the most literal sense ) a computer cannot see a team who is beating its conference who is full of crappy teams maybe they get to undefeated or 1 loss by beating inferior competition, a computer cannot gauge execution of assignments on each side of the ball when it can only see box score and stats and efficiency

So, competitions that use rules should adjust their standings in case starters are suffering with norovirus? And you think rules cannot account for differences in conferences? And we are going pick playoff teams based on execution of assignments? Name one time that ever was used. Execution of assignments doesn't even have a point value in a football game. What matters is most points no matter how good or ugly you looked getting there.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree....and if they had criteria we all knew to determine "most deserving" I'd be more open to keeping it at 4. As it stands, they pick the 4 teams THEN tell us the criteria they used.
I have no issues with that though.
Again, I have a very simple way of looking at it.
If you are in a P5 you entirely have your fate in your own hands. Period. Just win. Play every game with the intensity and focus of a champion. There won't ever be an example of a 13-0 P5 team left out, no matter what those humans say in their dark dungeons.
After you lose, you also lose the right to bitch over whatever mechanism is in place to decide if you were worthy. You can only blame yourself for not winning out.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and again as I said.....if you would like to learn the correct usage f the word, just ask. Let's start by seeing what you know.

I am really hungry and say I could literally eat 1000 pizzas.
A) correct usage
B) incorrect
Quote me when i unintentionally used the word literal incorrectly. Lets start there.

Me saying the NFL is literally garbage (garbage is quite the subjective term, another mans trash is another mans treasure) isnt incorrect either.

Please, do go and quote me using it incorrectly though lets discuss this, you seem very fixated on the word literal/ly

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey kid, you posted this exact post twice, how about you quote me posting with the incorrect usage instead of making things up.

Okay?
Here is the best definition of the word that should help you - "free from exaggeration or embellishment"

If you need further explanation just ask.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, competitions that use rules should adjust their standings in case starters are suffering with norovirus? And you think rules cannot account for differences in conferences? And we are going pick playoff teams based on execution of assignments? Name one time that ever was used. Execution of assignments doesn't even have a point value in a football game. What matters is most points no matter how good or ugly you looked getting there.
What i am saying is there are many reasons to use human elements, you can tell when a team is behaving "normally" vs a wtf fluke game but a computer cannot see that by watching how the players execute etc