• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The committee experiment failed

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the CFP playoff committee we are literally right back to where we were pre-BCS era. With humans picking the rankings and deciding who goes to what bowl, and essentially picking their national champion by having complete control over the top 4.

They tried to get the outcome of college football national champion out of human's hand by installing the BCS, and that failed, so they went back to people picking the outcome, which doesn't make sense. They have teams climbing and dropping in the polls by 8 spots a week.

I think they need to do something different.

1.) The Committee was basically put into place to avoid a couple of things, give teams like Boise St a chance if they were to have an undefeated season and to keep non conf champions out of the playoff. Well, they've failed on both fronts, UCF and their obsession with keeping Alabama in the talks. So to avoid this, let's have the BCS rankings still and the committee reviews the rankings and either approves or doesn't approve. Basically they have the authority to override a LSU/Alabama type matchup again, or if a deserving Boise State should get that 4th spot over a 2 loss Georgia team, they give it to Boise. So they just review the BCS rankings and step in to prevent previous mistakes the BCS made.

2.) Keep it mostly out of humans hands and just do Power 5 champs, maybe move one other conference up to give it a Power 6 and just have Power 6 champions go to the playoffs. 1 and 2 seeds get a BYE. The committee is there only to rank the seeds, which basically can be hinted to them by the combination of the Coaches and AP poll.

Reactions: 006

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was all put together to maximize profits.

And it seems to be doing a fine job of it.

That is terrible. If the NCAA is going to allow that, at least give us the ability to play NCAA Football video games so we can all create our own legit playoff.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is terrible. If the NCAA is going to allow that, at least give us the ability to play NCAA Football video games so we can all create our own legit playoff.
I rated your post “funny”.

then I realized you were probably serious.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is becoming increasingly apparent that it is an Invitational, and in no way a Playoff.

I think we got ripped off.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not reading all of that, normal for your posts, but I will say that I think things were and would be best with both a human and computer component.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L More drivel from someone misplacing his frustrations.

Oregon won't be left out because of the mean old committee.

Making a playoff that auto adds conference winners is simply stupid. A 2 loss team doesn't belong in a playoff. Keep trying to spin and create alternatives that make Oregon look better, but they still weren't worthy. Last year UW didn't belong in a playoff either. Auto bids make the playoffs WAY worse, not better.

Clue for Oregon fans: Get better and stop whining.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the CFP playoff committee we are literally right back to where we were pre-BCS era. With humans picking the rankings and deciding who goes to what bowl, and essentially picking their national champion by having complete control over the top 4.

They tried to get the outcome of college football national champion out of human's hand by installing the BCS, and that failed, so they went back to people picking the outcome, which doesn't make sense. They have teams climbing and dropping in the polls by 8 spots a week.

1.) The Committee was basically put into place to avoid a couple of things, give teams like Boise St a chance if they were to have an undefeated season and to keep non conf champions out of the playoff. Well, they've failed on both fronts, UCF and their obsession with keeping Alabama in the talks. So to avoid this, let's have the BCS rankings still and the committee reviews the rankings and either approves or doesn't approve. Basically they have the authority to override a LSU/Alabama type matchup again, or if a deserving Boise State should get that 4th spot over a 2 loss Georgia team, they give it to Boise. So they just review the BCS rankings and step in to prevent previous mistakes the BCS made.

2.) Keep it mostly out of humans hands and just do Power 5 champs, maybe move one other conference up to give it a Power 6 and just have Power 6 champions go to the playoffs. 1 and 2 seeds get a BYE. The committee is there only to rank the seeds, which basically can be hinted to them by the combination of the Coaches and AP poll.
What if I told you that every mock BCS calculation had the same 4 teams in the playoffs every year as the committee selected, would that change your opinion at all about the committee.

Auto bids just says that 1/3-1/4 of the season is meaningless and that you shouldn’t play your best players in them for fear of an injury in a game that is pointless.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesnt have a say in this matter

Reactions: gob

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if I told you that every mock BCS calculation had the same 4 teams in the playoffs every year as the committee selected, would that change your opinion at all about the committee.

Auto bids just says that 1/3-1/4 of the season is meaningless and that you shouldn’t play your best players in them for fear of an injury in a game that is pointless.
He will go for whatever option has his 2 loss team doing something other than shooting blanks the last two games. We all know OD doesn't give two shits about the overall health of the sport. If Oregon gets left out the system is wrong because they are the bestest program in all of sport.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will go for whatever option has his 2 loss team doing something other than shooting blanks the last two games. We all know OD doesn't give two shits about the overall health of the sport. If Oregon gets left out the system is wrong because they are the bestest program in all of sport.
My post was mainly for rational posters to be informed about any sort of fallacy people think that the committee has screwed over some team that should have been in the playoffs because of the committee’s bias.

In 2016 I think Penn State should have been in over Ohio State but I understand the decision if they care more about losses than wins.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post was mainly for rational posters to be informed about any sort of fallacy people think that the committee has screwed over some team that should have been in the playoffs because of the committee’s bias.

In 2016 I think Penn State should have been in over Ohio State but I understand the decision if they care more about losses than wins.
The committee has done exactly what they were supposed to do every season. Every year the 5th or 6th ranked team fans cry about the format/fairness.

This year we get OD as a bonus.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eight teams ... the P5 Champs (even if they have 4 losses) and three at large picked by the committee.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

If you have ANY losses AT ALL for ANY REASON. You should not have a claim on being the best team in college football. As soon as you have that first loss you are now at risk of not being labeled as one of the top 4 teams in the country. Sorry. Losses matter in the regular season. They should.

Not happy about which 1 loss team the committee picks/rejects? Get better. Take it out of their hands. It's that simple.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all ... with 130ish Division One Teams ... Eight is not unreasonable ... I think it's the perfect #!! The last game could be the weak before the Super Bowl!!!
Maybe it’s the idea of allowing a 4 loss team into the playoffs while making a two loss team sit out and turning all out of conference games into meaningless exhibition games is what he finds weak.