• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The committee experiment failed

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly why the human element is required, it is exactly what makes FBS College Football better than anything on earth

How is the human element required? FBS seems to be the only sport obsessed with identifying and validating the best team participating in its competition and it seems this is best accomplished by having top teams duck each other in OOC play and advancing four teams by popular vote.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long answer when all that was required for your answer was A or B.

If anyone ever claims all 130 teams should make the playoff (hell, even if they go over 9 in this conversation) feel free to make this argument. we are talking 8 of 130. Not 130 of 130. For someone who thinks he knows so much about math and statistics I would think you would know there's a difference....a large one.
Why should there be 8 teams???

The goal isnt to get the best 8 teams, it is to hve the best 2 teams.

You are missing the point on purpose.

The more teams in a tournament of 1 and done games the less likely the BEST team wins it all.

You keep ignoring these facts and say stupid stuff like "i never said 130" when the entire point is the more teams in the less it actually does what it is intended to do.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know how to use the word, you keep taking me saying the word fact as some sort of fiction, so i thought if i emphasized that it is a FACT, Literally, perhaps your pea brain could grasp the concept.
If you think the NFL can turn into garbage you, in fact, do not know how to use the word. If you want to call others dumb, insist they have a pea brain, don't understand math or stats, I'd suggest not making such foolish, factually incorrect comments.

I mean, were you taught in math/stats that 8/130 = 130/130?

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The more teams in a tournament of 1 and done games the less likely the BEST team wins it all.

You keep ignoring these facts and say stupid stuff like "i never said 130" when the entire point is the more teams in the less it actually does what it is intended to do.

Whose goal? Why care if the best team wins? And how do you know you have the best team in a four team playoff when top four teams have lost games to teams ranked well outside the top 8?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the human element required? FBS seems to be the only sport obsessed with identifying and validating the best team participating in its competition and it seems this is best accomplished by having top teams duck each other in OOC play and advancing four teams by popular vote.
If you havent been following along that isnt my problem.

The human element is required because these teams play radically different schedules and only play any given team once in a season. The human element is there to determine quality of play whether it was an off game or a fluke or what have ya.

I would be 100% for your idea of set rules and black and white criteria if college football were year round and every team in a conference played each other 5 times. That is the only way it would be anywhere close to achieving what the committee already does.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are failing to grasp the point. The more teams in a 1 and done tournament the less likely the BEST team will actually win it all. That is a fact
Ok.

Not sure OSU was a better team than Miami in 2002, but I'm OK with my school being the champ as opposed to best team if that's how some want to see it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin did get their shot, in teh CCG, they played themselves out of contention
Yes....and as many keep telling you they were better off not playing and having another team do their work like Bama did.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think the NFL can turn into garbage you, in fact, do not know how to use the word. If you want to call others dumb, insist they have a pea brain, don't understand math or stats, I'd suggest not making such foolish, factually incorrect comments.

I mean, were you taught in math/stats that 8/130 = 130/130?
Seriously, you have a comprehension problem. Where do i claim you said 130 teams? i used 130 teams because there are that many teams in FBS.... The point is still 100% valid, the more teams in a tournament of 1 and done games the less likely the best team wins it all.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.

Not sure OSU was a better team than Miami in 2002, but I'm OK with my school being the champ as opposed to best team if that's how some want to see it.
So now you are bringing up the BCS to justify expanding from 8 to 4 but using a system that only picked 2? Rivals posters are such retards (most only a handful actually worth a shit)

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose goal? Why care if the best team wins? And how do you know you have the best team in a four team playoff when top four teams have lost games to teams ranked well outside the top 8?
The point of the CFP is to crown the best team....

There exists products that already satisfy your wants and desires, head on over to the FCS they have your expanded playoffs with automatic qualifications involved

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes....and as many keep telling you they were better off not playing and having another team do their work like Bama did.

Wisconsin didnt look to be better or deserving prior to the CCG they didnt look as dominant as bama prior to the ccg and they didnt play anybody worth a damn prior to the CCG.

Wisconsin didnt deserve a shot

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I prefer 8 teams. It's my opinion it's the best number. You disagree. OK.

at this point I have to ask.....are you a child? And I say this in all seriousness. I mean, I'm one to think if someone comes here they leave themselves open to whatever might happen but if you are just a kid I would feel bad a little.

Saying I never said 130 was stupid when, in fact, I never said 130? I doubt anyone disagrees the more teams the less likely the so-called best team wins it all. But here's a flash little fella.....we don't know who the best team is. That's why they have a CFP.

Never mind you telling me I say stupid stuff when you don't know the meaning of the word, literal, nor how to use it correctly. Just ask and I'll help.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because he says so?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of the CFP is to crown the best team....

There exists products that already satisfy your wants and desires, head on over to the FCS they have your expanded playoffs with automatic qualifications involved
Were you complaining when they had the BCS about the idea of going to 4 teams?
A) yes
B) no

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you havent been following along that isnt my problem.

The human element is required because these teams play radically different schedules and only play any given team once in a season. The human element is there to determine quality of play whether it was an off game or a fluke or what have ya.

I would be 100% for your idea of set rules and black and white criteria if college football were year round and every team in a conference played each other 5 times. That is the only way it would be anywhere close to achieving what the committee already does.

Except the different schedules isn't a roadblock to black and white criteria and I would like to know how a committee does a better job of addressing the differences. Furthermore, rules serve a different purpose than a committee just picking the best teams. The purpose of rules is to place and advance teams based on which teams best accomplish what the rules in play value. If the best team wants to advance and win the title, it has to beat the other teams at those rules and not simply be favored for being the best team regardless of its accomplishments.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin didnt look to be better or deserving prior to the CCG they didnt look as dominant as bama prior to the ccg and they didnt play anybody worth a damn prior to the CCG.

Wisconsin didnt deserve a shot
Yet the committee thought they were better when they ranked them higher. This is also a fact.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer 8 teams. It's my opinion it's the best number. You disagree. OK.

at this point I have to ask.....are you a child? And I say this in all seriousness. I mean, I'm one to think if someone comes here they leave themselves open to whatever might happen but if you are just a kid I would feel bad a little.

Saying I never said 130 was stupid when, in fact, I never said 130? I doubt anyone disagrees the more teams the less likely the so-called best team wins it all. But here's a flash little fella.....we don't know who the best team is. That's why they have a CFP.

Never mind you telling me I say stupid stuff when you don't know the meaning of the word, literal, nor how to use it correctly. Just ask and I'll help.
Seriously you are asking if i am a child because 8 teams waters down a product and i am against it? No seriously are you a child? judging by the 88 in your name i can assert i am older than you, by more than a bit.

Little fella, you're getting cute now, because you have been beating your chest and ive proven you to be full of it, you are trying to imply im a child, seriously you are 31 acting like you are in your teens. I am going to guess you are single living with your parents (perhaps an only child of a broken home, living with mommy and her new fella)

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except the different schedules isn't a roadblock to black and white criteria and I would like to know how a committee does a better job of addressing the differences. Furthermore, rules serve a different purpose than a committee just picking the best teams. The purpose of rules is to place and advance teams based on which teams best accomplish what the rules in play value. If the best team wants to advance and win the title, it has to beat the other teams at those rules and not simply be favored for being the best team regardless of its accomplishments.
it is a road block because black and white criteria isnt possible to find the best team, sure it would put out a product, that would be watered down garbage.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the committee thought they were better when they ranked them higher. This is also a fact.
The committee rankings do not matter until CCGs are over, whatever rankings are between october and then are not important

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jfc. Bomb the shit out of people all at once. This is exactly why these discussions belong in the off season when nothing else is going on anyway. I'm not going over 10 posts of quotes.

I will say the narrative that people not in favor of expanding are afraid or just hate change. It's a pretty stupid argument. Clearly there are a lot of people that do not feel it is broken now. If it isn't broken now and/or there are elements some of you want to get rid of that to us would take something we now enjoy away, why on earth would we be in favor of those changes?

There are plenty of things that need to be changed in the sport. The officiating/rules are absurd, NCAA is impotent to actually stop pay to play or other forms of cheating, the system does pay G5's to stay where they are but they probably deserve more, they don't do enough for player injuries and post college medical support, there are too many bowls, and lots more.

If you are going to propose a change to something in the sport, expect that those who do not agree there is something positive from that or that there aren't more negatives than positives just aren't going to go along with it. There are very real negatives for expanding the playoffs. Some are not willing to change and give up the aspects they love about this sport under what we feel are entirely misguided ideals that ignore those negatives or are simply in denial they exist.

Major college football is unique in how it does a great number of things. Some aren't perfect and should be tweaked (as mentioned above), but others give an experience unlike any other sport. AND WE LIKE IT THAT WAY.

Always the damned comparisons to the NFL too... :L
Superbowl Champion does not necessarily mean best team in pro football. The top regular season team doesn't always win it, nor is it intended to do so. Too many of you assume the only way to give someone a title is for them to win a full tournament after their regular season. SBC is an awesome title. More watch that event than any other sport title game in the world for a reason. The playoff formula still isn't perfect (See Seahawks in the playoffs off a 7-9 season), but at least winning your division is about as fair as winning a baseball division given the amount of schedule parity. The rest isn't perfect, but there is no solution that would make it better so it's good where it's at. For example, the winner of the NFC East did not have the same as say the NFC South where the Saints have no one putting up a resistance. Yet each div winner has their win/loss exactly compared. It's less than perfect with no solution.

College football has no such mechanism. Period. Without going back to 10 team conferences (not going to happen because of conf money) you can't get anything even close to parity even within a specific conference, more or less trying to compare wins from one conference to another with how very different each is. The NFL doesn't ignore games while crowning their div champs, even the two unique games each plays every year. ALL 16 count. College counts either 8 or 9 for a conf championship. That's it, that's all. THIS thread was about how the committee is broken (lol at OP) and went right to autobids. Want to have a seperate one about some different kind of 8 or more? Neat. Start a thread on that. Do that after the bowl season wraps up and we can roll our sleeves up and get after it.

Trying to suggest people who don't want big playoffs also hate the NFL or otherwise try to correlate the two are offering up more strawman nonsense. We can, and do, like both for their particular and unique seasons. Until college drops to 4 team divisions and 16 game seasons with all the parity that comes from the format of that schedule, you can't duplicate their post season at this level. It's really dumb to suggest otherwise.