• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The committee experiment failed

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of the CFP is to crown the best team....

There exists products that already satisfy your wants and desires, head on over to the FCS they have your expanded playoffs with automatic qualifications involved

There is no surefire way to "Crown the best team", so do we want to be objective or subjective in how we pick who wins/plays for the championship?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then you are trying to debate whether or not Autobids make sense, not just that the current format needs to expand to 8 (or more). Because I said there is no debate that conf champions are entirely based off only 2/3 - 3/4 of a teams actual games played. There is no fairness in using only part of a teams schedule to seed them into a tournament. This to me is completely non debatable. Now, you can still want autobids knowing they aren't fair simply because you hate humans or whatever, but there is no debate conf champs are crowned off only part of their games played. This is pure fact.
No disagreement there, but who where teams are ranked 1-8 the OOC games will matter.

And if 1-4 are at home they will care where they are ranked.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no surefire way to "Crown the best team", so do we want to be objective or subjective in how we pick who wins/plays for the championship?
In college football you need to have both elements due to the lack of same competition and having a series that actually determines a champ. (like volleyball and baseball)

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is a road block because black and white criteria isnt possible to find the best team, sure it would put out a product, that would be watered down garbage.

Black and white criteria does not serve the purpose of finding the best team. That isn't what competition is about.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black and white criteria does not serve the purpose of finding the best team. That isn't what competition is about.
The CFP is about crowning the Best team, not putting on a tournament. Like i said if you want that just watch the NFL or FCS.... there is a reason people like me dont watch that garbage, it isnt entertaining especially when they know they can lose and still get in, just watered down garbage that gets overly boring (nfl is worse because they are overpaid pussies)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football had it best when there were 10 team leagues and everyone played everyone else every single season. That's the worst change that happened to the sport. Playing 8 when you have 14 in your league is absurd. Missing 5 teams from your own conference every single year is just dumb. Some end up with massive advantages over others in their own division. And yet we count all of those wins exactly the same, crown them for it, and now people up here want to use those to seed automatically into a larger playoff.
No thank you.
all fair points, and no doubt would be better if we were still at 10 team conferences and all played by same rules.

But to some this is better than just picking the 4 teams then deciding what they want the narrative to be on why they made the selections.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all fair points, and no doubt would be better if we were still at 10 team conferences and all played by same rules.

But to some this is better than just picking the 4 teams then deciding what they want the narrative to be on why they made the selections.
every conference has a chance of getting represented, win out and you are in, there is no need to have 8 teams though.

You have yet to argue why there needs to be 8, i get that it is just "your opinion" but please explain why it isnt a ridiculous opinion that does more harm than good?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHAT??? LOL give me teams and only include playoff era seriously dont try to deflect by using numbers that have no referencew
what he is showing you is that in his "system" the top 4 ranked teams wont always be the top 4 in his system. Doesn't matter who the teams are as you seem to think the top 4 are the best 4.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFP is about crowning the Best team, not putting on a tournament. Like i said if you want that just watch the NFL or FCS.... there is a reason people like me dont watch that garbage, it isnt entertaining especially when they know they can lose and still get in, just watered down garbage that gets overly boring (nfl is worse because they are overpaid pussies)

The argument is true regardless of the size of the playoff. The CFP no more determines the best team than any other format. It determines a winner just the same and does so by arbitrarily picking its playoff teams.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what he is showing you is that in his "system" the top 4 ranked teams wont always be the top 4 in his system. Doesn't matter who the teams are as you seem to think the top 4 are the best 4.
It does matter because the teams that he put in didnt belong for good reason lol

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is true regardless of the size of the playoff. The CFP no more determines the best team than any other format. It determines a winner just the same and does so by arbitrarily picking its playoff teams.
You are Wrong.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jfc. Bomb the shit out of people all at once. This is exactly why these discussions belong in the off season when nothing else is going on anyway. I'm not going over 10 posts of quotes.

I will say the narrative that people not in favor of expanding are afraid or just hate change. It's a pretty stupid argument. Clearly there are a lot of people that do not feel it is broken now. If it isn't broken now and/or there are elements some of you want to get rid of that to us would take something we now enjoy away, why on earth would we be in favor of those changes?

There are plenty of things that need to be changed in the sport. The officiating/rules are absurd, NCAA is impotent to actually stop pay to play or other forms of cheating, the system does pay G5's to stay where they are but they probably deserve more, they don't do enough for player injuries and post college medical support, there are too many bowls, and lots more.

If you are going to propose a change to something in the sport, expect that those who do not agree there is something positive from that or that there aren't more negatives than positives just aren't going to go along with it. There are very real negatives for expanding the playoffs. Some are not willing to change and give up the aspects they love about this sport under what we feel are entirely misguided ideals that ignore those negatives or are simply in denial they exist.

Major college football is unique in how it does a great number of things. Some aren't perfect and should be tweaked (as mentioned above), but others give an experience unlike any other sport. AND WE LIKE IT THAT WAY.

Always the damned comparisons to the NFL too... :L
Superbowl Champion does not necessarily mean best team in pro football. The top regular season team doesn't always win it, nor is it intended to do so. Too many of you assume the only way to give someone a title is for them to win a full tournament after their regular season. SBC is an awesome title. More watch that event than any other sport title game in the world for a reason. The playoff formula still isn't perfect (See Seahawks in the playoffs off a 7-9 season), but at least winning your division is about as fair as winning a baseball division given the amount of schedule parity. The rest isn't perfect, but there is no solution that would make it better so it's good where it's at. For example, the winner of the NFC East did not have the same as say the NFC South where the Saints have no one putting up a resistance. Yet each div winner has their win/loss exactly compared. It's less than perfect with no solution.

College football has no such mechanism. Period. Without going back to 10 team conferences (not going to happen because of conf money) you can't get anything even close to parity even within a specific conference, more or less trying to compare wins from one conference to another with how very different each is. The NFL doesn't ignore games while crowning their div champs, even the two unique games each plays every year. ALL 16 count. College counts either 8 or 9 for a conf championship. That's it, that's all. THIS thread was about how the committee is broken (lol at OP) and went right to autobids. Want to have a seperate one about some different kind of 8 or more? Neat. Start a thread on that. Do that after the bowl season wraps up and we can roll our sleeves up and get after it.

Trying to suggest people who don't want big playoffs also hate the NFL or otherwise try to correlate the two are offering up more strawman nonsense. We can, and do, like both for their particular and unique seasons. Until college drops to 4 team divisions and 16 game seasons with all the parity that comes from the format of that schedule, you can't duplicate their post season at this level. It's really dumb to suggest otherwise.
You started out complaining about these posts in a war and peace length post? I stopped reading after that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS week in the SEC is entertainment for you?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in that CBS group (as well as AOL and ESPN at times) and while most wanted something and 4 was better than 2, the majority thought 8 was the way to go.

That's what I always thought. 8 teams gives all the power conference champions (and futures ones) the opportunity to get in, along with a really good Group of Five champion. I really don't think anybody wants more than that.

More over, his point he makes every season, to me and to many as a "so what?".

Going to the Rose Bowl is great. But if you ask any player, any coach, would you rather play in the Rose Bowl or win a National Championship, guess which answer it would be.

And if the people want to add more teams, why is that a problem? It is what people want. The only thing you would lose would be the 13th game, if they expand past 8.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are Wrong.

Prove the winner is the best team. What does it even mean to be the best team anyway? That you would win every time? More times than not against all other teams? The 2014 best team lost to Virginia Tech. The 2015 best team lost to Mississippi. The 2016 best team lost to Pittsburgh. The 2017 best team lost to Auburn.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS week in the SEC is entertainment for you?
The games still matter, if they lose they are screwed, if they only have to win their conference they can lose fcs week and not matter......

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every conference has a chance of getting represented, win out and you are in, there is no need to have 8 teams though.

You have yet to argue why there needs to be 8, i get that it is just "your opinion" but please explain why it isnt a ridiculous opinion that does more harm than good?
I never said we "need" anything. Only you seem to think your opinion is based on fact.

why I want 8? Because there are not enough games played against the top teams to know who the best teams truly are.

Only children get so upset when others disagree with their opinions. Just sayin'.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove the winner is the best team. What does it even mean to be the best team anyway? That you would win every time? More times than not against all other teams? The 2014 best team lost to Virginia Tech. The 2015 best team lost to Mississippi. The 2016 best team lost to Pittsburgh. The 2017 best team lost to Auburn.
It is subjective and objective. SOS, SOR, Eye Test, Style Points, MOV etc it all plays a role and it all matters to the committee which is why the best team is in the top 4 which means the best team is far more likely to win vs an 8 team playoff

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does matter because the teams that he put in didnt belong for good reason lol
Then why did the committee have Wisky ahead of Bama before CCG week?

But, hey, you did end with an "lol" so that must count for something I guess.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said we "need" anything. Only you seem to think your opinion is based on fact.

why I want 8? Because there are not enough games played against the top teams to know who the best teams truly are.

Only children get so upset when others disagree with their opinions. Just sayin'.
There are plenty of games played against the top teams. There are only 3 teams (2 if we are being honest) that are truly elite (ohio state and lsu) then there is clemson who has done everything right by winning all their games, what other teams are "top teams" who should be considered? the eye test can tell a lot, you can see how prone a team is to making mistakes, you can see how undisciplined they are, how assignment sound they are etc, things that are not black and white.