• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Carmelo Trade 5 Years Ago, Yesterday

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was traded to the Knicks 5 years ago, yesterday. Been through 70 players, 4 head coaches and 4 general managers. Was this the right move for the Knicks or did they set the franchise back?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he really set the franchise back, but I don't think it helped. Sure Stoudemire turning to glass really hurt and some bad and very questionable FA choices, but I don't think he made NY a destination quite like they hoped, and he still is very unconcerned about D. In my opinion they became enamored with his star power a bit too much, didn't look hard enough at the area's he needed to improve on, and just poor GM work all around. So I guess I don't see those GM's/Coaches doing more without him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe it's 5 yrs. To me Melo is a great talent but he should never be the guy for a franchise, if you ask me he should be a team's 2nd fiddle.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe it's 5 yrs. To me Melo is a great talent but he should never be the guy for a franchise, if you ask me he should be a team's 2nd fiddle.

Yes. Would have been a great fit for Thibodeau's Bulls.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Would have been a great fit for Thibodeau's Bulls.

That's the propaganda that's been spewing around for years, and I don't buy it. Everyone and their mother wants to see a "superstar" come to the Bulls simply because of Jordan's legacy. But, the reality it that the Bulls have never "bought" their stars. They have always drafted and developed them.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the days when Melo, Amare, and Tyson were supposed to be the big three that rivaled Miami's? So cute...

Ah, the superteam era. I'll one day tell my own kids if and when I have them that I no longer fear hell as a basketball fan - I survived this generation.

But, at least I can say I would not be a Nuggets fan if this trade never happened.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed to hurt both New York and Denver, as Denver is till rebuilding since that trade. Knicks have failed miserably.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed to hurt both New York and Denver, as Denver is till rebuilding since that trade. Knicks have failed miserably.

Well Denver was losing him no matter what. Might even get another 1st round pick out of it this year I think. They got some pieces.

The only way I could see them better and maybe you are right in that respect, is instead of those guys, if they had completely fallen apart and had a horrible record the year after he was gone and gotten Anthony Davis to start rebuilding around.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Denver was losing him no matter what. Might even get another 1st round pick out of it this year I think. They got some pieces.

The only way I could see them better and maybe you are right in that respect, is instead of those guys, if they had completely fallen apart and had a horrible record the year after he was gone and gotten Anthony Davis to start rebuilding around.

Interesting perspective about AD. But the Nuggs have been a fun team to watch in the time since nonetheless.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting perspective about AD. But the Nuggs have been a fun team to watch in the time since nonetheless.

They have... With Karl, I probably watched 70-75 games a year, and really liked the post-melo team as well, since then, without Karl, that's been down a lot though.

Of course the counter to Davis, is if they had not completely fallen apart for another year they are looking at Anthony Bennett instead. So a bad team with a crap rebuild plan.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have... With Karl, I probably watched 70-75 games a year, and really liked the post-melo team as well, since then, without Karl, that's been down a lot though.

Of course the counter to Davis, is if they had not completely fallen apart for another year they are looking at Anthony Bennett instead. So a bad team with a crap rebuild plan.

It bothers the shit out of me that everyone gives all the credit to Karl. Sure, he was a decent coach, but let's not go crazy. He got the Nuggs out of the first round once in nine years. The real problem Denver has had was letting Massai Ujiri go without a fight that same year. Since then, there hasn't been any real stability in the front office.

Tim Connelly has been a mixed bag as GM. He's had his share of good moves (Jokic, Lauvergne, signing Foye at his peak and eventually getting solid trade value out of him, and squeezing a first rounder out of Houston for Ty Lawson), along with the bad (Hickson, the contract extensions of Faried and Chandler, and trading Gobert for a bag of peanuts).

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was traded to the Knicks 5 years ago, yesterday. Been through 70 players, 4 head coaches and 4 general managers. Was this the right move for the Knicks or did they set the franchise back?
It was for the Lakers - We didn't get stuck with him and for that I am greatful

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen Rose says Carmelo will be traded this summer.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It bothers the shit out of me that everyone gives all the credit to Karl. Sure, he was a decent coach, but let's not go crazy. He got the Nuggs out of the first round once in nine years. The real problem Denver has had was letting Massai Ujiri go without a fight that same year. Since then, there hasn't been any real stability in the front office.

Tim Connelly has been a mixed bag as GM. He's had his share of good moves (Jokic, Lauvergne, signing Foye at his peak and eventually getting solid trade value out of him, and squeezing a first rounder out of Houston for Ty Lawson), along with the bad (Hickson, the contract extensions of Faried and Chandler, and trading Gobert for a bag of peanuts).

Thank you i am not a big fan of George Karl. I honestly believed he underachieved alot especially with his mind blowing line ups and pet players

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not calling Karl a great coach, just a coach who put together a very entertaining team that was more fun than their talent level to watch. And that credit does go to Karl. Like Jamal Crawford... He's not an all-star caliber player, but I like watching him more than some all-stars.

Oh Karl had his flaws for sure... As I've said elsewhere he relied on run and gun and depth to wear out opponents, especially at home against teams who were going back to back road games or long road trips and would a lot of times throw it in on chasing after the Nuggets rather than just run themselves into the ground to try and snag a game and be beat the following day. And when the playoffs came up his shortened rotations didn't work Nuggets had talent 1-11, other teams had more talent 1-7), teams got back on D and hustled every play just like Denver, and his teams weren't putting up piles of fast breaks and points in the paint and were quickly outed.

They were never going to contend for more than a mid-seed and a 1st round exit with Karl, not painting him as an amazing coach, and honestly I was fine with that... He was the only coach I really didn't think was great, but with his style of play, he put out a very entertaining product for most of the year.

It reminds me of 15 or so years ago when I moved to Colorado and we had the Blake Street Bombers for the Rockies. Galarraga, Walker, Castilla, Bichette, and Burks. Sure they didn't win a lot, but a 12-10 game is a blast. Sure that roster wasn't going to win anything, but for a mediocre team, they were fun baseball. Then came the humidifiers and PED testing and no longer had a roster of five 40hr guys.

But I think he was still above average and a great fit. I don't think a lot of coaches could win 50+ in the west with Lawson and Faried as their best players.