• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Boys

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last of us stayed true to the characters in the game, pulling from the source usually leads to better results.
The Last of Us was shoehorning things 10 years ago with a dlc having Ellie be gay when zero mention of sexuality was in the base game.

It is what it is.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was irritated by the Last of Us episode, personally. It didn’t advance the OBP real story of the show at all and was a complete waste of time. The story itself wasn’t bad, but it just didn’t deserve an entire episode in a short season, just to message something that didn’t pertain to the show as a whole. I didn’t mind what they did with Ellie later in the season because that was just a side aspect to a larger story that was important to the show.
All shows have filler, that was a well done imo.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last of us stayed true to the characters in the game, pulling from the source usually leads to better results.
But IIRC, Bill was only very vaguely hinted at as possibly being gay. AND Bill hardly appeared in the game at all. Dedicating an entire episode to Bill and his lover, and calling it “staying true to the source” is a stretch.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Last of Us was shoehorning things 10 years ago with a dlc having Ellie be gay when zero mention of sexuality was in the base game.

It is what it is.

[mod edit: added spoiler tags]

For sure, the second game forcing you to play as Abby after she kills Joel and then calling all fans that didn't like it transphobic was bullshit.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But IIRC, Bill was only very vaguely hinted at as possibly being gay. AND Bill hardly appeared in the game at all. Dedicating an entire episode to Bill and his lover, and calling it “staying true to the source” is a stretch.
Bill was a small part, but a critical part. I do agree filler on shorter series is bs, but not uncommon.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, the second game forcing you to play as Abby after she kills Joel and then calling all fans that didn't like it transphobic was bullshit.
The gist I get is that Druckman wanted to make a game about the middle east and two sides never backing down. I think in some ways I see the logic. The Telltale Walking Dead really did do 'woke' Walking Dead extremely well. At least the first game. The Last of Us kinda erased that series but at the same time also went its own direction with its sequel.

I don't hate it for that but video games are a bit of an awkward space when it comes to appealing to women. Lots of women play video games but they're usually in mobile, puzzle, cozy or horror. TLOU is horror....but...also not really focused on that. Almost every trend in modern video games has probably happened because of how much money there is in mobile gaming. Traditional video games sees that there is way more money in mobile games and needs to find a way to convert them. TV is a much more natural artistic space and The Last of Us is a better fit there.

I suspect there will be almost no outrage for TLOU season 2. Although the TV audience will see it for what it is.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gist I get is that Druckman wanted to make a game about the middle east and two sides never backing down. I think in some ways I see the logic. The Telltale Walking Dead really did do 'woke' Walking Dead extremely well. At least the first game. The Last of Us kinda erased that series but at the same time also went its own direction with its sequel.

I don't hate it for that but video games are a bit of an awkward space when it comes to appealing to women. Lots of women play video games but they're usually in mobile, puzzle, cozy or horror. TLOU is horror....but...also not really focused on that. Almost every trend in modern video games has probably happened because of how much money there is in mobile gaming. Traditional video games sees that there is way more money in mobile games and needs to find a way to convert them. TV is a much more natural artistic space and The Last of Us is a better fit there.

I suspect there will be almost no outrage for TLOU season 2. Although the TV audience will see it for what it is.
I think that sums is up well. Druckman forgot that games are about choice, and he eliminated player choice to tell the story he wanted. You have the core story that plays out, but until the end you should be able decide how you handle certain situations.

At the end of game one you don't have to save Ellie from the doctors if you decide that the cure is more important. It ultimately is meaningless, as game 2 happens and tells you how game 1 ended, but at the moment, it matters for players.

TV is different, you get the story you get. I may not like decision ls they make, but I go in knowing but is all predefined.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shoehorning of gay characters has been a thing for like a decade now.
That is likely to continue imo. If it's just a reason to satisfy some feeling of diversity it's a waste imo but if the character and story are decently written then it's easier and I'm generally OK with it.

Has anyone watched Star Trek Discovery? Tons of diversity there especially in a universe of different alien types lol but the better the character the less intrusive the character is. At least for me.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is likely to continue imo. If it's just a reason to satisfy some feeling of diversity it's a waste imo but if the character and story are decently written then it's easier and I'm generally OK with it.

Has anyone watched Star Trek Discovery? Tons of diversity there especially in a universe of different alien types lol but the better the character the less intrusive the character is. At least for me.

Same. My first recollection of it was True Blood...and I get it...vampires and shit but when you make every single character Bi or gay it becomes pretty fucking stupid.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. My first recollection of it was True Blood...and I get it...vampires and shit but when you make every single character Bi or gay it becomes pretty fucking stupid.
There's a homo-erotic aspect to vampirism in general so that's not a big stretch. I.e. they'll feed on the blood of anyone. but I understand what you're saying.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t mind it in true blood because Anna Paquin is a fucking smoke show, and she showed a LOT. Horrible story telling on that show, but I really didn’t give a shit.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t mind it in true blood because Anna Paquin is a fucking smoke show, and she showed a LOT. Horrible story telling on that show, but I really didn’t give a shit.

They weren't winning any golden globes for writing but it got even worse by the last few seasons

"I know I know...Tara is gay...we haven't made her gay yet right?" Let's have Bill and Eric make out...that's super awesome and impactful and totally makes sense

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't winning any golden globes for writing but it got even worse by the last few seasons

"I know I know...Tara is gay...we haven't made her gay yet right?" Let's have Bill and Eric make out...that's super awesome and impactful and totally makes sense
Then Anna Paquin would in bed completely nekid and all was right in the world.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[mod edit: added spoiler tags]

Come on dude.. fkn spoilers!!

This isn't even a Last of Us thread.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, they over represent gay and bi people in these shows to a ridiculous degree. Even in a show where you are "suspending disbelief" to begin with it's dumb. I noticed it in a book I read recently called "The Paris Apartment". I enjoyed the book but out of the main 12 characters something like 8 were gay or bi. It's simply not realistic unless it's a show like Queer as folks

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a video game from 4 years ago?

Yea....that's a tough one to keep under wraps. Hoping they steer clear of that story twist because not sure the other characters are strong enough to take the load from Joel