• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can compare O'Korn to Barrett, though. They've had two very different careers. At this point, Barrett should be a no doubt Heisman frontrunner, which who knows? Maybe he will be. I remember watching the game and listening to the announcers, but several of those times they were looking at just 1-2 second snips where nobody was open, but a good QB has to be able to throw WRs open and work with tight windows against teams with athletes in the secondary. Barrett did take advantage of having Michael Thomas, Zeke, Devin Smith, etc. his freshman year. That said, he has Dobbins this year who is playing far better than Zeke did as a true freshman, and you can't tell me he doesn't have talent at WR. Campbell is projected to be drafted in the first couple rounds, KJ Hill has shown multiple times in the last two years that he can get behind coverages with ease, and then he has big body guys like Bin Victor and Austin Mack, who are sophomores but have a ton of talent. I still see far, far too many overthrows, wide throws, extreme hesitance, and poor decisions being made by a guy who is supposed to be the unquestioned leader of his piers out on the field.

I think this year is wide open, honestly. It's far too early to crown anyone. I think Bama and Oklahoma are in the CFP, but the last couple spots are completely open. Also, Clemson could very easily go down this weekend. They looked like ass against a very bad BC team last week.

I'm not comparing O'Korn to Barrett. There is no comparison. I was comparing the situations of OSU and UM fans.
O'Korn came in and had a great game against a weak defense. Barrett has had two great games against weak defenses. Now UM and OSU fans think they found the solutions, but in reality, it just showed the teams were vastly overmatched they were playing.

O'Korn could be good if we had an OL who could give him all the protection in the world to make a throw.
Barrett could be great if you give him stars surrounding him.

Somewhere in between is reality. O'Korn is a solid insurance policy, but imo, will struggle against any team who can pressure the QB. Barrett is the best QB on OSU and they need to work on their WR's intangibles (getting off bump coverage, route running, timing, getting separation, etc)

All of us like to play arm chair QB, but Meyer and Harbaugh forgot more about football yesterday than anyone here knows. They both have too big of egos to NOT put the best option out on the field for the team to succeed.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 was his first class, which saw Michael Thomas come from Fork Union to OSU.

His 2013 class had Jalin Marshall (undrafted but started for the Jets as a rookie), James Clark (couldn't stay healthy, transferred to VT), and Corey Smith was a solid WR in college, mostly as a blocker, and helped us win a title.

His 2014 class had Johnnie Dixon, who has finally been able to stay healthy and is having a decent year as a senior. Obviously Curtis Samuel was there, and he was a 2nd round pick at WR. It also had Parris Campbell who is projected to be an early round pick, if not round 1. There was also Noah Brown who was drafted, and Terry McClaurin who has started off solidly this year after getting out from behind the older WRs.

2015 had KJ Hill, who is a legit deep threat that is tied for the team lead in catches so far. Alex Stump was buried and transferred, and I heard may have given up football to focus on medicine.

2016 has Austin Mack and Bin Victor, who both have pro potential without a doubt.

So, again, not sure what your point is here. He took the guys that were there when he started and put most of them into the NFL after they played almost entirely with him. He has 1 guy from his first class in the pros, 2 guys from his second class (soon to be a 3rd, who will be drafted highly), and there's a very good chance 2-3 from his 2015/2016 classes go pro.

But yeah, he doesn't know how to recruit or develop WRs at all. Clearly I was way off.

Thomas committed before Urban took over. Like I said, he's only recruited 2 guys at WR so far who have been drafted. We'll wait and see on the 2016 guys. But the guys from 2015 and before would be on NFL radars, and only one is and he has 31 career receptions at this point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not comparing O'Korn to Barrett. There is no comparison. I was comparing the situations of OSU and UM fans.
O'Korn came in and had a great game against a weak defense. Barrett has had two great games against weak defenses. Now UM and OSU fans think they found the solutions, but in reality, it just showed the teams were vastly overmatched they were playing.

O'Korn could be good if we had an OL who could give him all the protection in the world to make a throw.
Barrett could be great if you give him stars surrounding him.

Somewhere in between is reality. O'Korn is a solid insurance policy, but imo, will struggle against any team who can pressure the QB. Barrett is the best QB on OSU and they need to work on their WR's intangibles (getting off bump coverage, route running, timing, getting separation, etc)

All of us like to play arm chair QB, but Meyer and Harbaugh forgot more about football yesterday than anyone here knows. They both have too big of egos to NOT put the best option out on the field for the team to succeed.
I don't think any OSU fan thinks we have a solution, at least not any intelligent ones.

I don't think Barrett is the best QB on OSU. I think they should've spent the offseason working Haskins in as the starter so he had the reps, and I firmly believe he'd be putting up better stats than Barrett right now working with the first team. Meyer messed up on this one, and I don't know what you can say to make that not be true. Haskins makes all the same throws Barrett does but much more powerful and with less hesitance. I can't wait until the offense is his.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas committed before Urban took over. Like I said, he's only recruited 2 guys at WR so far who have been drafted. We'll wait and see on the 2016 guys. But the guys from 2015 and before would be on NFL radars, and only one is and he has 31 career receptions at this point.
Not sure what he could've done with Dixon and Clark being constantly hurt for 3 years. Thomas was first recruited by Tressel/Fickell, and then he was recruited by Urban while he was at Fork Union. You're really being ignorant on Urban's abilities here. He's put 6 WRs into the NFL, 3 of them were his recruits. Campbell will be a high draft pick, and Hill, Mack, and Victor will be in the NFL when they're through. Name me 3 coaches who started in 2012 or later who are doing better than Meyer, both recruiting and developing.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what he could've done with Dixon and Clark being constantly hurt for 3 years. Thomas was first recruited by Tressel/Fickell, and then he was recruited by Urban while he was at Fork Union. You're really being ignorant on Urban's abilities here. He's put 6 WRs into the NFL, 3 of them were his recruits. Campbell will be a high draft pick, and Hill, Mack, and Victor will be in the NFL when they're through. Name me 3 coaches who started in 2012 or later who are doing better than Meyer, both recruiting and developing.

I don't really care to do that much research, but I'm sure there's plenty of coaches who recruited and put at least 2 guys into the nfl since 2012 at WR. And I'm not being ignorant towards Urban.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any OSU fan thinks we have a solution, at least not any intelligent ones.

I don't think Barrett is the best QB on OSU. I think they should've spent the offseason working Haskins in as the starter so he had the reps, and I firmly believe he'd be putting up better stats than Barrett right now working with the first team. Meyer messed up on this one, and I don't know what you can say to make that not be true. Haskins makes all the same throws Barrett does but much more powerful and with less hesitance. I can't wait until the offense is his.

You know who could make all the throws and had the strongest arm on UM? Shane Morris. Right now, Brandon Peters won every event in the team combine this summer -- he had the strongest arm, he was the fastest QB, he could jump the highest, etc etc. He is our 3rd string QB.

A QB can have all the tools in the world, but if they don't have it between the ears, it doesn't matter. Decision making, reading what a defense is doing, ball security, etc. are what makes a QB great.

Look at the Florida QB (Franks I think his name is) -- he threw the ball 70+ yards in the air to hit his WR against Tennessee. He can run like a RB and he built like Cam Newton. He is a terrible QB right now.

No tougher position to play in all of sports than the QB spot.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care to do that much research, but I'm sure there's plenty of coaches who recruited and put at least 2 guys into the nfl since 2012 at WR. And I'm not being ignorant towards Urban.
No, name coaches who have put 6 WRs in the NFL, 4 being their recruits, since 2012. Because that's what Urban has done.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who could make all the throws and had the strongest arm on UM? Shane Morris. Right now, Brandon Peters won every event in the team combine this summer -- he had the strongest arm, he was the fastest QB, he could jump the highest, etc etc. He is our 3rd string QB.

A QB can have all the tools in the world, but if they don't have it between the ears, it doesn't matter. Decision making, reading what a defense is doing, ball security, etc. are what makes a QB great.

Look at the Florida QB (Franks I think his name is) -- he threw the ball 70+ yards in the air to hit his WR against Tennessee. He can run like a RB and he built like Cam Newton. He is a terrible QB right now.

No tougher position to play in all of sports than the QB spot.
Shane Morris was never good. I can't think of a single college game where he ever looked competent. He was never even remotely close to being on Haskins's level. He played in many games over his time at michigan and never threw a TD, even against cupcakes. He sure threw a hell of a lot of INTs though. He's also a completely different type of QB, and his arm is nowhere as strong.

I'd be inclined to side with you if Barrett was making good decisions, reading defenses effectively, going through his progressions, and hitting open WRs. He's doing none of that. I truly don't see what there would be to lose if we started Haskins.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, name coaches who have put 6 WRs in the NFL, 4 being their recruits, since 2012. Because that's what Urban has done.

I should have clarified my statement as drafted. And I don't really feel like it because like I said, there's plenty of coaches who have had 2 recruits drafted since 2012.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have clarified my statement as drafted. And I don't really feel like it because like I said, there's plenty of coaches who have had 2 recruits drafted since 2012.
That's not relevant, as Meyer has had 3 drafted who were part of the class of 2012 or later, with 4 being in the NFL overall.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Morris was never good. I can't think of a single college game where he ever looked competent. He was never even remotely close to being on Haskins's level. He played in many games over his time at michigan and never threw a TD, even against cupcakes. He sure threw a hell of a lot of INTs though. He's also a completely different type of QB, and his arm is nowhere as strong.

I'd be inclined to side with you if Barrett was making good decisions, reading defenses effectively, going through his progressions, and hitting open WRs. He's doing none of that. I truly don't see what there would be to lose if we started Haskins.

Shane Morris had a rocket of an arm, if I'm not mistaken at the premier HS QB camp, he had the strongest arm of any recruit. He also ran a 4.6 40. He was a superhero in shorts. When you add in a defense trying to take your head off. He'd fall apart.

I'm not saying Haskins won't be really good. I'm saying he has played zero snaps against a 1st string defense where he had any type of pressure.

That is when you see how his decision making is and how he handles the spotlight. The person who has watched him play against a first string defense in practice is Urban Meyer and he chose Barrett as his starting QB.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Morris had a rocket of an arm, if I'm not mistaken at the premier HS QB camp, he had the strongest arm of any recruit. He also ran a 4.6 40. He was a superhero in shorts. When you add in a defense trying to take your head off. He'd fall apart.

I'm not saying Haskins won't be really good. I'm saying he has played zero snaps against a 1st string defense where he had any type of pressure.

That is when you see how his decision making is and how he handles the spotlight. The person who has watched him play against a first string defense in practice is Urban Meyer and he chose Barrett as his starting QB.
Morris was a summer camp stud who I even said wouldn't transfer to college ball, and he proved me right and then some. Man, was he awful. He's still nowhere near as good as Haskins is.

You're right, he hasn't played a first string defense, but I still haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he can't do what Barrett's doing but better at this point. With JT's regression over the past couple years, it's fair to wonder if he's really that far ahead of Haskins anymore when it comes to intangibles.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris was a summer camp stud who I even said wouldn't transfer to college ball, and he proved me right and then some. Man, was he awful. He's still nowhere near as good as Haskins is.

You're right, he hasn't played a first string defense, but I still haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he can't do what Barrett's doing but better at this point. With JT's regression over the past couple years, it's fair to wonder if he's really that far ahead of Haskins anymore when it comes to intangibles.

Yeah. I agree. Morris was terrible. He did throw for 500 yards this year for Central Michigan. He is their starting QB.

Playing catch against the backups of bad teams doesn't show a whole lot about a QB. It says they can make throws with no pressure and against vastly inferior opponents. Does Haskins have the talent to be great? Possibly. The only one who knows though is OSU's coaching staff, as they are the only one to see how he does against OSU's defense in practice.

And the intangible that separates Barrett by a landslide is experience. He has seen everything a defense can throw at him. He has seen multiple fronts. He has faced the pressure of a big time game. He has put up the monster stats. It is why I look more towards the personnel he is playing with and place majority of the blame there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I agree. Morris was terrible. He did throw for 500 yards this year for Central Michigan. He is their starting QB.

Playing catch against the backups of bad teams doesn't show a whole lot about a QB. It says they can make throws with no pressure and against vastly inferior opponents. Does Haskins have the talent to be great? Possibly. The only one who knows though is OSU's coaching staff, as they are the only one to see how he does against OSU's defense in practice.

And the intangible that separates Barrett by a landslide is experience. He has seen everything a defense can throw at him. He has seen multiple fronts. He has faced the pressure of a big time game. He has put up the monster stats. It is why I look more towards the personnel he is playing with and place majority of the blame there.
I'm looking forward to Haskins' first start. I truly believe he's going to make people forget about Barrett in not a lot of time. They're inferior opponents, but it's not like he's throwing against JV high school kids. These are still Division 1 athletes. It's also in just the way he throws and goes through his progressions. He makes quicker decisions, and the difference in arm strength is startling.

Barrett has a ton of experience and he's seen a lot of defenses, and clearly it hasn't helped based on how badly he has folded the last 3 times he faced any sort of defense with a pulse. Look back even at 2015. He had Zeke, Mike Thomas, Braxton, etc. He topped 200 yards passing twice. He struggled mightily against teams like Northern Illinois and Michigan State. He was less than impressive passing against michigan and Notre Dame. Last year he took another step back, and this year it looks a little better but still not where he should be.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to Haskins' first start. I truly believe he's going to make people forget about Barrett in not a lot of time. They're inferior opponents, but it's not like he's throwing against JV high school kids. These are still Division 1 athletes. It's also in just the way he throws and goes through his progressions. He makes quicker decisions, and the difference in arm strength is startling.

Barrett has a ton of experience and he's seen a lot of defenses, and clearly it hasn't helped based on how badly he has folded the last 3 times he faced any sort of defense with a pulse. Look back even at 2015. He had Zeke, Mike Thomas, Braxton, etc. He topped 200 yards passing twice. He struggled mightily against teams like Northern Illinois and Michigan State. He was less than impressive passing against michigan and Notre Dame. Last year he took another step back, and this year it looks a little better but still not where he should be.
I think Joe Burrow is going to be the starter next year.

Burrow is a much better runner. Running the QB is Urban Meyer's security blanket.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Joe Burrow is going to be the starter next year.

Burrow is a much better runner. Running the QB is Urban Meyer's security blanket.
Wouldn't hate it. Either way, there will be an actual full-on competition, unlike right now. Hell, if Martell got it I wouldn't be shocked.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now the conference season begins.(I know, OSU and Indiana) To hell with that OOC shit.

Let's get ready to rumble. Nebraska @ Illinois to lead off

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now the conference season begins.(I know, OSU and Indiana) To hell with that OOC shit.

Let's get ready to rumble. Nebraska @ Illinois to lead off
Ummmm We are already 1st in the west having played 3 ooc and no bye :P