• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 10 Preview thread 2023 (AKA: Where coaching drama lives!)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 Predictions

So I'm done over in the Big 10, and tomorrow I dive right into the powder-keg that is the Southeastern Conference. But until then, here are my picks for this league in 2023:

East division:
1. Michigan
(Conference champs, maybe playoff)
2. Ohio State ("New Year's Six" bowl, maybe playoff)
3. Penn State (Maybe "New Year's Six")
4. Maryland
5. Michigan State
6. Rutgers
7. Indiana

West division:
1. Iowa
2. Wisconsin
3. Illinois
4. Minnesota
5. Nebraska
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
1690245140598.gif

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see that Jim Harbaugh is facing a 4 game suspension for recruiting violations? I hate Harbaugh, he seems like a massive prick, fuck him. I doubt this affects Michigan much, because the first 4 games that he’ll likely be suspended for are pretty easy games, 3 out of conference fairly weak opponents and the conference opener against Rutgers, all at home.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate the time/effort y'all put to your analyses and predictions. :suds:
Slogging through the muck of our home team PR and Breaking News is taxing enough.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is Michigan's year to win it all. Anything less is a failure IMO.
That’s definitely how Michigan feels I believe and understandably so, they have most of their team back this year and theyve made the playoff 2 years in a row. That being said, Ohio St is hungry to beat Michigan and they have almost all of their team back as well. I cannot stand Harbaugh, he’s a grade A jackass, so I really don’t want Michigan to win it, and it would be great if they didn’t even make the playoff.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s definitely how Michigan feels I believe and understandably so, they have most of their team back this year and theyve made the playoff 2 years in a row. That being said, Ohio St is hungry to beat Michigan and they have almost all of their team back as well. I cannot stand Harbaugh, he’s a grade A jackass, so I really don’t want Michigan to win it, and it would be great if they didn’t even make the playoff.

Sounds like something I would post.

I think THE might go 9-3 in the normal season with losses to ND, PSU and Michigan.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like something I would post.

I think THE might go 9-3 in the normal season with losses to ND, PSU and Michigan.
I have more confidence in Ohio St than you do - they return most of their team, yeah they’ll have a new QB but look at all of those offensive weapons they have. Unless they have major injuries or the QB play is bad for some reason, there’s no way they lose more than 2 regular season games IMO. And they will be very motivated to beat Michigan this year having lost 2 in a row to them. I think Ohio St has a great chance of getting back to the playoff.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota

Preview segment: The Minnesota Golden Gophers

Last season: These are bullish times to be a Golden Gophers fan. Minnesota was able to secure 9 wins (including their bowl game in NYC) and kept "Paul Bunyan's Ax" away from the Badgers. Such a shame that they couldn't take the Big 10 West division, though. Oh well, P.J. Fleck and crew should be able to make another run at it.

Bad news: However, only 9 starters are back from last year's team. The cornerback spot got gutted in the transfer portal, and the pass-rush may still be lacking despite an entire spring dedicated to fixing the problem.

Good news: The Gophers offense should be more balanced this year, with some good WR's and a proud tight-end (Brevyn Spann-Ford) available to new strong-armed QB Athan Kaliakmania. LB Cody Lindenburg and safety Tyler Nubin should lift up the rebuilding defense.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Nebraska (Well, we'll see right away if the new Minnesota offense can run well against a conference foe.)
10/7 vs. Michigan (Just like Michigan will be mindful of Kaliakmania, the Gophers must have a plan to stop J.J. McCarthy.)
10/21 @ Iowa (The Hawkeyes are still the mental hurdle Minnesota has to clear in order to win the Big 10 West. At least the Gophers will have a week off to prep for this installment.)
11/11 @ Purdue (Minnesota started 2022 with a 4-0 start before Purdue took them out. This will be a simple "revenge game" for the Gophers.)
11/25 vs. Wisconsin (This one, though, will be all business. Minnesota hasn't beaten Wisconsin 3 straight times since the mid-80's.)

Bottom line: The Gophers also has to go to North Carolina and Ohio State, so they'll be up against it for the 2023 season... especially when they're replacing half of last year's roster. But this is a P.J. Fleck-coached team, for pete's sake! Don't be surprised if Minnesota is in the middle of the Big 10 West fight this year.
Pretty solid analysis.

I think people still tend to sleep in MN. Not saying top tier, but better than we get credit for. If we just could solve Iowa

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have more confidence in Ohio St than you do - they return most of their team, yeah they’ll have a new QB but look at all of those offensive weapons they have. Unless they have major injuries or the QB play is bad for some reason, there’s no way they lose more than 2 regular season games IMO. And they will be very motivated to beat Michigan this year having lost 2 in a row to them. I think Ohio St has a great chance of getting back to the playoff.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is Michigan's year to win it all. Anything less is a failure IMO.
it could happen... will be interesting to see how those arrogant bastards deal with a weekly barrage of "extra effort" defense and associated pain... will be sweet watching those arrogant bastards and their arrogant bastard fanbase invent reasons/excuses their season was not just a failure, but an abysmal soul-shattering nightmare. :becky:

go green

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it could happen... will be interesting to see how those arrogant bastards deal with a weekly barrage of "extra effort" defense and associated pain... will be sweet watching those arrogant bastards and their arrogant bastard fanbase invent reasons/excuses their season was not just a failure, but an abysmal soul-shattering nightmare. :becky:

go green

LOL.

Will be a Go Green father as I will have a child at MSU this year.

• Love
Reactions: H2S

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Will be a Go Green father as I will have a child at MSU this year.
that's no child... :suds:
you've obviously raised a brave and brilliant future leader of commerce, entertainment and industry.

go white

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1348 days

<3

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one -of two- times of the year that I think it's ok to be unreasonably optimistic... this article supports that contention perfectly:

lol... guy has MSU going 10-2 (losses to Iowa and Ohio Snakes... beating Washington, Penn Snakes and Michigan) and another NY6 game.

The other "time to be unreasonably optimistic" is predicting brackets for the Dance... I've had State cutting net every year for the last 22... :happyshake:

Sweetswingingsammysosa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East division:
Michigan (Conference champs, maybe playoff)
2. Ohio State (inexperienced QB is the only thing holding them back)
3. Penn State (Nobody likes PEDO U)
4. Maryland (They may contend with Pedo U
5. Michigan State
6. Rutgers
7. Indiana

West division:
1. Wisconsin ( best upgrade to talent and coaching staff combined for all the NCAA). However the middle of their D line is inexperienced and will struggle in consistent pass rush and run D up the gut. They should lose to Michigan because of this. However, this will be the most explosive pass attack they've ever had including when RW was the QB.
2. Iowa (same old school bs)
3. Illinois (Lost DC)
4. Minnesota (Fleck is a gimmick)
5. Purdue (Downgraded coaching staff)
6. Nebraska (Upgraded coaching staff but a major work in progress
7. Northwestern (Dumpster fire, Rutgers is better now)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see that Jim Harbaugh is facing a 4 game suspension for recruiting violations? I hate Harbaugh, he seems like a massive prick, fuck him. I doubt this affects Michigan much, because the first 4 games that he’ll likely be suspended for are pretty easy games, 3 out of conference fairly weak opponents and the conference opener against Rutgers, all at home.
It looks like Michigan told the NCAA that 4 games was too much, so they decided to give their own punishment of 3 games instead. How long till the biggest football programs just get together and tell the NCAA that they will just set up their own governing body?