• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last 10 years, Iowa is 5-1 vs Michigan. Since Ferentz has taken over, iowa leads the series 7-6 over Michigan.

Hayden Fry did not do near as good vs Michigan, as he went 4-11-1 vs Michigan.

Also, Jim Harbaugh has never beaten Iowa, as a player and as a coach.
Over the last ten seasons Iowa is 5-1 against Michigan, 1-3 against Ohio State, 2-5 against Penn State, and 3-4 against Michigan State.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 445.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is in that Kool Aid?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last 10 years, Iowa is 5-1 vs Michigan. Since Ferentz has taken over, iowa leads the series 7-6 over Michigan.

Hayden Fry did not do near as good vs Michigan, as he went 4-11-1 vs Michigan.

Also, Jim Harbaugh has never beaten Iowa, as a player and as a coach.

I wasn't talking about Michigan.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Scott Frost said, "People better get us now."

Still applies. Schedule Nebraska for your homecoming games.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 445.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does this still apply? Asking for a friend

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still extremely confident in OSU, but the B1G looks tough right now. Wisconsin has been dominant, regardless of competition. Maryland absolutely embarrassed a ranked team. Sparty looks way better than they have in years. Penn State looks competent offensively without McSorely. Nebraska and michigan have been disappointing but otherwise it's been a strong start.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does this still apply? Asking for a friend

Not sure what you are asking.

I wrote it on September 2, 2019 after Nebraska looked like crap on August 31, 2019.

I said in my post "still applies."

You ask if it "still applies?" after Nebraska loses. Which was not surprising to me.

OK, who is taking Colorado over Nebraska in week 2??

Was my typing to complex to understand?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still extremely confident in OSU, but the B1G looks tough right now. Wisconsin has been dominant, regardless of competition. Maryland absolutely embarrassed a ranked team. Sparty looks way better than they have in years. Penn State looks competent offensively without McSorely. Nebraska and michigan have been disappointing but otherwise it's been a strong start.

So far, so good. The team should continue to only get better as they keep getting used to new coaches and system changes. Hopefully that turns out to be true

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your viewing enjoyment

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 2

1. Maryland (2-0) - PW 2 - Normally, I give a dominating defense a nod, but Maryland just dominated a ranked Syracuse team. The Terps are B1G points leader with 142 points and have only given up 20.
2. Wisconsin (2-0) - PW 1 - What appeared to be a 5- or 6-team division race has a strong front runner. The Badgers are one of 3 teams with 100+ points. They have yet to allow a single point, where every other B1G team has allowed at least 14 points. The offense is built around Jonathan Taylor, but Jack Coan to Quintez Cephus connection is on fire as well.
3. Ohio State (2-0) - PW 6 - The Buckeyes have not looked amazing, but they have not looked like they struggled either. Their shutout victory over Cincinnati was very impressive. I would say they are the front-runners in the B1G East.
4. Penn State (2-0) - PW 3 - Penn State showed no reason to drop outside they have not played a team quite like Cincinnati, nor have they totally shut out their opponents. Losing some key players to the NFL Draft the last few years and being affected by the new transfer rules, the Nittany Lions have some question marks. It is tough to say if those question marks have been answered or if their schedule helps them.
5. Michigan State (2-0) - PW 4 - The Spartans have one of the better deFenses in the country, especially vs the run. The offense needs more work. However, this is could be another one of those seasons by Michigan State.
6. Iowa (2-0, 1-0) - PW 8 - Should the Hawkeyes be higher on the list after totally shutting out B1G opponent Rutgers? Possibly. But it took Iowa a half to get things going against Miami (OH). Epenesa dominated Rutgers OL. Iowa takes on a Cyclone team that is well coached and looking to rebound.
7. Michigan (2-0) - PW 7 - The Wolverines looked very sloppy against Army in the Big House.
8. Minnesota (2-0) - PW 11 - It seems that there is a team that somehow always finds a way to choke or finds a way to win on last play heroics. The Gophers have now won off last play heroics against a strong FCS team and strong G5 team, which means they have also struggled.
9. Nebraska (1-1) - PW 9 - Nebraska lost to the better of their two opponents where I believe Purdue beat the better of their two opponents. So, should I go with the better win or the better loss? I went with the better loss. I think they should have new tryouts for kickers, though.
10. Purdue (1-1) - PW 14 - The Boilermakers have an argument to be higher on this list, but giving up a 17-point lead to Nevada still hurts them. But their win against Vanderbilt does show a lot of promise, as Shindelar is looking good.
11. Illinois (2-0) - PW 5 - Illinois went from having one of their biggest wins in last few seasons to struggling against another weak team.
12. Indiana (2-0) - PW 13 - A 52 point shutout doesn't help the Hoosiers much against an FCS team that is not elite when they had a 10-point win over Ball State.
13. Northwestern (0-1) - PW 10 - Their loss against Stanford is not looking as good after another week, and it wasn't that looking that impressive a week ago.
14. Rutgers (1-1, 0-1) - PW 12 - Rutgers took a while to get going against UMass. They never did get going against Iowa. However, they did do good vs Iowa's run game

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 3

1. Ohio State (3-0, 1-0) - LW 3
- The Buckeyes have beaten in-state opponent Cincinnati, who could be a good AAC team, and beat division opponent Indiana. The combined score of both games is 93-10. They don't seem to have broken any strides with a new QB and a new HC.
2. Wisconsin (2-0) - LW 2 - The Badgers drop a spot on their bye week as the Buckeyes added a game. It still is close because they still haven't given up a single point. Their competition hasn't been as tough, but they haven't really shown any struggle against their weaker opponents. They will have a tougher test this weekend as a Michigan team with a sloppy performance to make up is coming to town.
3. Penn State (3-0) - LW 4 - The game against in-state rival (or opponent if you don't consider them a rival) may not have been that dominant, but they have the second-largest scoring margin in the B1G. Maryland has an 8-point margin advantage. Plus, they did play in wet and rainy conditions that can have an impact on the way they play, but their defense still held Pitt to 10 points.
4. Iowa (3-0, 1-0) - LW 6 - The Hawkeyes might have one of the longest game of the season from kickoff to end of the game, with only playing four quarters. They had an afternoon ESPN Game Day, which ended up being under the lights. I think a 10-win season is possible, but they need to play better than they did on Saturday to beat a team like Wisconsin and Penn State.
5. Maryland (2-1) - LW 1 - :brick: The Terps just got knocked down by Temple after being on Cloud 9 with 2 big wins. They still have the largest scoring margin and have scored the most points in the B1G. The question now is, how is Maryland going to react to this loss? Will they be that team that shocked everyone the first few weeks until they got knocked down or are they going to remain this season's Cinderella?
6. Michigan State (2-1) - LW 5 - For some years now, I have gained the attitude of you can never blame the referees for a loss. Just like UFC CEO Dana White always says, "never leave it in the judges hands" and "Never expect me (Dana White) to overturn a decision, even if I (Dana White) disagree with it." The Spartans had 12 men on the field when it went good. However, Spartans still have one of the better defenses in the league. However, their offense needs to improve.
7. Nebraska (2-1) - PW 9 - As much as I have been criticizing Nebraska's defense getting the Blackshirts (which I still think they don't deserve), the Husker defense is one of the better defenses in the B1G that is overshadowed by the lack of production from the offense and the disappointing result of the team in general compared to the hype received in the preseason. However, I think once Martinez and Spielman get a good connection going, the offense will improve. Adrian Martinez is still a sophomore.
8. Michigan (2-0) - PW 7 - The bye week did not leave much help for Michigan as their last game was quite sloppy and Nebraska finally had a dominating win. They are third in the B1G East in PA and five of the teams have played one more game.
9. Minnesota (3-0) - PW 8 - In my opinion, it has reached a point of impressive to win like the Gophers have been winning, but I would not consider Minnesota to be a powerful team. You literally can change the very last meaningful play in all 3 games and Minnesota is 0-3.
10. Northwestern (1-1) - PW 13 - It is hard to tell about Northwestern as we haven't seen much of them. Also, Coach Pat knows how to keep the team motivated and when they don't seem that good, before we know it, they win, or almost win, the B1G West.
11. Purdue (1-2) - PW 10 - Much talk has been given to Shindelar and his concussion. That is a huge injury and I am not saying it isn't. But IMO, Bailey's injury on defense is more costly, as it is a season-ending injury.
12. Illinois (2-1) - PW 11 - "Fear the Beard" had a nice two-week run. I do actually see improvements in Illinois future, but there is still too many things to work on.
13. Indiana (2-1, 0-1) - PW 12 - The Hoosiers might actually be better than 13, but they have yet to dominate anybody and were dominated by Ohio State.
14. Rutgers (1-1, 0-1) - PW 14 - Rutgers does have a solid defense. However, the defense doesn't have the stamina to last with good offensive lines and Rutgers don't have much on offense. They do have a punter though, which will be useful for them.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, you are quoting something from 2015. Iowa had gone 4-8, 8-5, and 7-6 the previous seasons. Iowa has flash in the pan seasons every now and then (like they did in 2015) but will never consistently compete. Also, GTFO with your multiple conference titles. They still would have to beat someone from the East for those
You're wrong and also right. Iowa will never be a consistent top elite program but it's not really a flash in the pan either . Iowa has a top 10 team every 4 or 5 years under Ferentz. It happens like that because Iowa recruits 3 star guys and then get them in the weight room and coaches them up. Typically by the time they're ready to be really good it's about a 4 year cycle. Only exception was 02-04 when they were top 10. Otherwise it 05-08 without one, 10-14 without one and 98-01 without one . No one should be surprised when Iowa wins 10 or 11 this year and ends up top 10. It's just the cycle they're in . It's a great coaching staff that either wont recruit high level or can't . Ferentz is probably scared off by his only top 10 class ever ( 05 or 06 ) being such shitty humans

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanner Morgan sets B1G completion record.

Gophers (lack) of defense bit concerning

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees was the last B1G QB to throw 25 TDs in 3 consecutive seasons. Iowa's Nate Stanley has thrown 25 TDs last 2 seasons.

Will Stanley be the next to do what Brees did?

Stanley has 8 TDs through 4 games.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a clown show Maryland has turned up to be.

Syracuse being ranked at all preseason was a joke.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beat 1-3 USF
Beat 2-3 Central Michigan
Beat 4-1 Michigan
Beat 1-3 Northwestern

Next up the Mighty Kent State Golden Flashes 2-2 who sit at 80th in Scoring Offense and and 77th in Total Offense.

Wisconsin's one true test is only Ohio State. Michigan State has no offense, Iowa is not a prolific offense, Nebraska is just hoping to get bowl eligible and that is an unknown at this time, Minnesota is somehow finding ways to win games but their luck will run out soon, Illinois and Purdue are no threats.

You are like the equivalent of the 1997 Michigan defense whose defense was #1 but only because their competition was really bad. Otherwise, the B1G would not have been blasted in their bowl games that year.

if Wisconsin holds Ohio State to 20 points or less, then I will be impressed.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat 1-3 USF
Beat 4-1 Michigan
Beat 1-3 Northwestern

Next up the Mighty Kent State Golden Flashes 2-2 who sit at 80th in Scoring Offense and and 77th in Total Offense.

Wisconsin's one true test is only Ohio State. Michigan State has no offense, Iowa is not a prolific offense, Nebraska is just hoping to get bowl eligible and that is an unknown at this time, Minnesota is somehow finding ways to win games but their luck will run out soon, Illinois and Purdue are no threats.

You are like the equivalent of the 1997 Michigan defense whose defense was #1 but only because their competition was really bad. Otherwise, the B1G would not have been blasted in their bowl games that year.

Other teams have played as weak a schedule as Wisconsin. And I agree, Ohio State is the test, for everyone.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat 1-3 USF
Beat 4-1 Michigan
Beat 1-3 Northwestern

Iowa has two big tests over the next two weeks. If they're still unbeaten on October 13th, that's a top 10 team no doubt.