• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 1 (REDO - gave a lil commentary to Michigan)

This is not how I think the teams really are. This is based on how they looked on the field. With a few exceptions, I try not to weigh their opponent's strength at this point, but how they look on the field that 1 week.

1. Wisconsin (1-0) - Badgers and the Terps are the only two B1G teams with shutouts in the opening week. But here is an exception that USF is far better than Howard, and Heisman hopeful Jonathan Taylor ran all over the Bulls.
2. Maryland (1-0) - The Terps dominated from the get-go. They led 56-0 at halftime. QB Josh Jackson threw 4 touchdowns and in the first half. Three other players added touchdowns as well. Terps defense also held Howard to 1 yard rushing.
3. Penn State (1-0) - PSU dominated from start to finish in this game. They nearly had a 79-point shutout if it wasn't for a TD they gave up in the 4th quarter when they led 65-0. Clifford may not be McSorley but he played good and Devyn Ford had a good 100 yard performance.
4. Michigan State (1-0) - I don't think a defense in the country had a game like Spartans' defense. Tulsa got a TD right before half and was down 25-0, but MSU allowed -73 yards rushing. However, their offense has much to improve.
5. Illinois (1-0) - Like I said, don't get too worked up over Illinois at #5. I don't see them as 2nd best team in the B1G West, but I would say they looked like the 5th best team today. They didn't underachieve in any way like some other B1G teams better than them. However, in week 1, they looked very impressive. They had a 28-3 halftime lead and had 400 yards of offense.
6. Ohio State (1-0) - The beginning of a new era begins in Columbus. The Buckeyes got off to a 28-0 1st quarter lead and then let off the gas a little bit. However, the game was never out in reach for FAU. Again, Ohio State being 6th is not a big deal. If Ohio State didn't let off the gas, they would be much higher
7. Michigan (1-0) - There really is a small difference in the Top 7 of this list other than what they allowed their weaker opponent to do. Michigan could have won 79-0, but they took their foot off the gas. The Wolverines had a dominant performance.
8. Iowa (1-0) - Now here is a gap between #7 and #8. Top 7 looked great. The rest should have done better or are just not that good. Iowa acted like they were playing Miami (FL) when they were actually playing Miami (OH). They struggled the first half. At least they got things going in the 2nd half.
9. Nebraska (1-0) - Huskers scored 5 touchdowns in five different ways against South Alabama. Positive about that is that they showed they are dangerous in different aspects of the game. Negative is that South Alabama had more 1st downs and more yards than Nebraska, and Nebraska only won by 14.
10. Northwestern (0-1) - Here is an exception where I am taking the strength of the opponent into consideration. On one hand, they looked good allowing Stanford to score only 17 points. However, they only scored 7 points and Stanford was in control of the entire game. I will give them props for playing Stanford, but the risk of doing so is losing has to cost them too.
11. Minnesota (1-0) - I get that SDSU is a great FCS team, but Minnesota should still have won with full control. That didn't happen. Statistically, the Gophers only won on the scoreboard. SDSU out rushed, passed, had more first downs and forced more turnovers. However, Minnesota still won, so if they play really good after this, they will rise faster.
12. Rutgers (1-0) - I saw the first quarter before I had to help out with a high school football game. I thought it was going to be a long game for Rutgers when UMass got the quick lead. Rutgers got things going, but UMass is a terrible G5 team.
13. Indiana (1-0) - The Hoosiers never dominated Ball State. It was even a 7-point game in the 4th quarter. Indiana did outgain Ball State, but it was not a good game for them.
14. Purdue (0-1) - For 3 quarters, Purdue looked like they would deserve a top half ranking on this list. Then the 4th quarter happened and they allowed 17 unanswered points.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this destroys the narrative everyone tries to paint on Harbaugh and Michigan, but Harbaugh is on record saying he thinks every student/athlete should get one free transfer without penalty.

And as the lawyer Mars, who represented so many players said — the NCAA is going to make whatever decision they feel fit and there isn’t much a school can do once they grant the transfer.
Sort of . . .

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 1

This is not how I think the teams really are. This is based on how they looked on the field. With a few exceptions, I try not to weigh their opponent's strength at this point, but how they look on the field that 1 week.

1. Wisconsin (1-0) - Badgers and the Terps are the only two B1G teams with shutouts in the opening week. But here is an exception that USF is far better than Howard, and Heisman hopeful Jonathan Taylor ran all over the Bulls.
2. Maryland (1-0) - The Terps dominated from the get-go. They led 56-0 at halftime. QB Josh Jackson threw 4 touchdowns and in the first half. Three other players added touchdowns as well. Terps defense also held Howard to 1 yard rushing.
3. Penn State (1-0) - PSU dominated from start to finish in this game. They nearly had a 79-point shutout if it wasn't for a TD they gave up in the 4th quarter when they led 65-0. Clifford may not be McSorley but he played good and Devyn Ford had a good 100 yard performance.
4. Michigan State (1-0) - I don't think a defense in the country had a game like Spartans' defense. Tulsa got a TD right before half and was down 25-0, but MSU allowed -73 yards rushing. However, their offense has much to improve.
5. Illinois (1-0) - Like I said, don't get too worked up over Illinois at #5. I don't see them as 2nd best team in the B1G West, but I would say they looked like the 5th best team today. They didn't underachieve in any way like some other B1G teams better than them. However, in week 1, they looked very impressive. They had a 28-3 halftime lead and had 400 yards of offense.
6. Ohio State (1-0) - The beginning of a new era begins in Columbus. The Buckeyes got off to a 28-0 1st quarter lead and then let off the gas a little bit. However, the game was never out in reach for FAU. Again, Ohio State being 6th is not a big deal. If Ohio State didn't let off the gas, they would be much higher
7. Michigan (1-0) -
8. Iowa (1-0) - Now here is a gap between #7 and #8. Top 7 looked great. The rest should have done better or are just not that good. Iowa acted like they were playing Miami (FL) when they were actually playing Miami (OH). They struggled the first half. At least they got things going in the 2nd half.
9. Nebraska (1-0) - Huskers scored 5 touchdowns in five different ways against South Alabama. Positive about that is that they showed they are dangerous in different aspects of the game. Negative is that South Alabama had more 1st downs and more yards than Nebraska, and Nebraska only won by 14.
10. Northwestern (0-1) - Here is an exception where I am taking the strength of the opponent into consideration. On one hand, they looked good allowing Stanford to score only 17 points. However, they only scored 7 points and Stanford was in control of the entire game. I will give them props for playing Stanford, but the risk of doing so is losing has to cost them too.
11. Minnesota (1-0) - I get that SDSU is a great FCS team, but Minnesota should still have won with full control. That didn't happen. Statistically, the Gophers only won on the scoreboard. SDSU out rushed, passed, had more first downs and forced more turnovers. However, Minnesota still won, so if they play really good after this, they will rise faster.
12. Rutgers (1-0) - I saw the first quarter before I had to help out with a high school football game. I thought it was going to be a long game for Rutgers when UMass got the quick lead. Rutgers got things going, but UMass is a terrible G5 team.
13. Indiana (1-0) - The Hoosiers never dominated Ball State. It was even a 7-point game in the 4th quarter. Indiana did outgain Ball State, but it was not a good game for them.
14. Purdue (0-1) - For 3 quarters, Purdue looked like they would deserve a top half ranking on this list. Then the 4th quarter happened and they allowed 17 unanswered points.
I don't think OSU, MSU or Michigan looked any better than Iowa honestly . Only teams who looked great were Wisky , PSU, Maryland and Illinois but 2 of those 4 played bad FCS teams . OSU looked great for like 7 minutes of their game then pretty bad for 53 minutes . MSU didn't look any different from last year imo

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I needed to see, contenders for the conference title imo
OSU has a higher ceiling than any other B10 team as a function of their recruiting but honestly you couldn't tell much from week 1. Most of the posters here could've completed the 3 td passes Fields threw early the guys were so open . I think OSU has a really good team but if you're doing a power ranking like Jerms did I don't think I'd have OSU on any different level than just about anyone in the 2-10 range . Wisky was the only team I'd say was actually impressive vs a decent G5 team . The next 8 teams or so all either annhilated really bad teams or won comfortably vs middling G5s

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this destroys the narrative everyone tries to paint on Harbaugh and Michigan, but Harbaugh is on record saying he thinks every student/athlete should get one free transfer without penalty.

And as the lawyer Mars, who represented so many players said — the NCAA is going to make whatever decision they feel fit and there isn’t much a school can do once they grant the transfer.
Just like Saban is on the record as saying that everyone should play 10 P5 opponents in the regular season or no one should play FCS teams? They are going to say the popular thing to save face but when it comes down to putting to action, he does what he really thinks.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland and Rutgers definitely will be playing better ball in the coming years. The problem for them will be having to face tOSU, MSU, UM, and PSU every year. TTUN got their coaching situation figured out it seems and Penn State should be playing with a full roster. Last but not least, if Indiana can get anything figured out at QB they could have a decent season with that UAB transfer. Now the West looks muddled. All 3 of the top teams lose their featured back. Wisky will probably be ok, they always seem to plug in new rbs. Northwestern could be a good team if they develop some consistency and avoid the injury bug. Time to start fresh at HC for Iowa yet? I don't foresee Purdue or Illinois getting much better.

Why doesn’t the big ten just kick out Maryland and Rutgers for their own good and for the good of the big ten. Honestly kick Nebraska out too, they don’t belong in the big ten. I’d trade Iowa St for Nebraska. The big 12 and big 10 are the most screwed up conferences

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland and Rutgers definitely will be playing better ball in the coming years. The problem for them will be having to face tOSU, MSU, UM, and PSU every year. TTUN got their coaching situation figured out it seems and Penn State should be playing with a full roster. Last but not least, if Indiana can get anything figured out at QB they could have a decent season with that UAB transfer. Now the West looks muddled. All 3 of the top teams lose their featured back. Wisky will probably be ok, they always seem to plug in new rbs. Northwestern could be a good team if they develop some consistency and avoid the injury bug. Time to start fresh at HC for Iowa yet? I don't foresee Purdue or Illinois getting much better.

Haha, yeah right. Iowa could give two shits less about injuries and coaching changes. They’ve kicked the living shit out of literally every big ten team, the Iowa football program is rock solid and one of the best in the nation. Has been since the early 2000s. Iowa doesn’t need to recruit 1,000 high schoolers to win. Just ask Missagain how hard it is to win the conference. If it wasn’t for Wisconsin being so similar, Iowa would have multiple big ten titles. Unfortunately Wisconsin runs their team in a similar fashion to Iowa, but Iowa will eventually kick their ass

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn’t the big ten just kick out Maryland and Rutgers for their own good and for the good of the big ten. Honestly kick Nebraska out too, they don’t belong in the big ten. I’d trade Iowa St for Nebraska. The big 12 and big 10 are the most screwed up conferences

B1G not concerned about how good they are. With Maryland, they get DC and Baltimore markets. With Rutgers, they get NYC. Nebraska, they get Omaha. And with the departure of Missouri and Colorado and with Snyder retiring, the Big 12 is a lot different for them.

Iowa State fits in the Big 12 in basketball.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yeah right. Iowa could give two shits less about injuries and coaching changes. They’ve kicked the living shit out of literally every big ten team, the Iowa football program is rock solid and one of the best in the nation. Has been since the early 2000s. Iowa doesn’t need to recruit 1,000 high schoolers to win. Just ask Missagain how hard it is to win the conference. If it wasn’t for Wisconsin being so similar, Iowa would have multiple big ten titles. Unfortunately Wisconsin runs their team in a similar fashion to Iowa, but Iowa will eventually kick their ass

The problem is, you are quoting something from 2015. Iowa had gone 4-8, 8-5, and 7-6 the previous seasons. Iowa has flash in the pan seasons every now and then (like they did in 2015) but will never consistently compete. Also, GTFO with your multiple conference titles. They still would have to beat someone from the East for those

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yeah right. Michigan could give two shits less about injuries and coaching changes. They’ve kicked the living shit out of literally every big ten team, the Michigan football program is rock solid and one of the best in the nation. Has been since the early 2000s. Michigan doesn’t need to recruit 1,000 high schoolers to win. Just ask Iowa how hard it is to win the conference. If it wasn’t for Ohio State being so similar, Michigan would have multiple big ten titles. Unfortunately Ohio State runs their team in a similar fashion to Michigan, but Michigan will eventually kick their ass
Changed it and you will see what many Michigan fans have been saying for a while. Iowa is about as rock solid as Michigan State. I get you want come in here and puff out your chest like Iowa is some elite program, but they just aren’t.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changed it and you will see what many Michigan fans have been saying for a while. Iowa is about as rock solid as Michigan State. I get you want come in here and puff out your chest like Iowa is some elite program, but they just aren’t.

Iowa is not elite in the sense of championships and trophies. What I’m saying is Iowa’s football program is extremely healthy and coveted. Everyone in Iowa watches Iowa (or Iowa St) football. It’s very special because everyone loves the game, regardless of championships and trophies.

Iowa as a state is very impressive in football. Northern Iowa is a top program in FCS. Iowa State is a very small agricultural P5 school that’s always been smaller and in the underdog role, but now is trending up due to conference realignment and getting to the top of the big 12.

Michigan is a much bigger state. Compare Michigan State to Iowa State, just in the size of the school and surrounding population. Still, despite all of this, I’d take both Iowa schools over Michigan’s big two on the football field tomorrow. And id take Northern Iowa over the 3-5 FBS directional schools in Michigan also.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is not elite in the sense of championships and trophies. What I’m saying is Iowa’s football program is extremely healthy and coveted. Everyone in Iowa watches Iowa (or Iowa St) football. It’s very special because everyone loves the game, regardless of championships and trophies.

Iowa as a state is very impressive in football. Northern Iowa is a top program in FCS. Iowa State is a very small agricultural P5 school that’s always been smaller and in the underdog role, but now is trending up due to conference realignment and getting to the top of the big 12.

Michigan is a much bigger state. Compare Michigan State to Iowa State, just in the size of the school and surrounding population. Still, despite all of this, I’d take both Iowa schools over Michigan’s big two on the football field tomorrow. And id take Northern Iowa over the 3-5 FBS directional schools in Michigan also.
I would take either Michigan or Michigan State over Iowa and Iowa State but I’m not that high on any of the four.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, you are quoting something from 2015. Iowa had gone 4-8, 8-5, and 7-6 the previous seasons. Iowa has flash in the pan seasons every now and then (like they did in 2015) but will never consistently compete. Also, GTFO with your multiple conference titles. They still would have to beat someone from the East for those

Every time Iowa has gone against Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State, they’ve won or it came down to the wire. They’ve beaten Michigan 5 out of the last 6 times. They beat the living shit out of Ohio State the last time they played. Iowa’s style of play allows them to be competitive against superior talent, but it also allows inferior talent to be competitive with them.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take either Michigan or Michigan State over Iowa and Iowa State but I’m not that high on any of the four.

Of course you would. To be as fair as possible, it would have to be Iowa State vs Michigan. Iowa and Michigan State are the top teams in each state right now

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time Iowa has gone against Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State, they’ve won or it came down to the wire. They’ve beaten Michigan 5 out of the last 6 times. They beat the living shit out of Ohio State the last time they played. Iowa’s style of play allows them to be competitive against superior talent, but it also allows inferior talent to be competitive with them.

The bolded is simply not true. Second, congrats on the blow out win, does that make up for winning 4 out of the last 20?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly kick Nebraska out too, they don’t belong in the big ten. I’d trade Iowa St for Nebraska.
giphy.gif

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got $50 says his screen name stands for
Mommy’s Very Cuddly gangster.

I’m gonna save myself some time and just hate him now.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is simply not true. Second, congrats on the blow out win, does that make up for winning 4 out of the last 20?

Over the last 10 years, Iowa is 5-1 vs Michigan. Since Ferentz has taken over, iowa leads the series 7-6 over Michigan.

Hayden Fry did not do near as good vs Michigan, as he went 4-11-1 vs Michigan.

Also, Jim Harbaugh has never beaten Iowa, as a player and as a coach.