• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see them investing that Big 10 revenue.

AD Whitman has done a great job across the board improving facilities. Hiring Lovie was a success because of the money coming in the first couple of years. Now the winning needs to start.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well biggest game early for B1G is NW @ Standford. NW winning would be a boost to B1G reputation

Tomorrow B1G football starts with Gophers vs Jackrabbits

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD Whitman has done a great job across the board improving facilities. Hiring Lovie was a success because of the money coming in the first couple of years. Now the winning needs to start.

I'm having a hard time finding 6 wins on their schedule, they're only B1GW team I don't see having a shot for B1GW

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time finding 6 wins on their schedule, they're only B1GW team I don't see having a shot for B1GW

It still has a ways to go, but they are getting closer. They can run the ball, defense is still weak and undersized. However, I see then getting to 5 wins( and 6 would take a real upset). I'm a bit contrarian in my view of them.

They win 3 OOC, Rutgers and then need to find 2 wins with Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern. I think it will come down to the Northwestern game at the end of the season. It will probably be a bowl play-in game.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still has a ways to go, but they are getting closer. They can run the ball, defense is still weak and undersized. However, I see then getting to 5 wins( and 6 would take a real upset). I'm a bit contrarian in my view of them.

They win 3 OOC, Rutgers and then need to find 2 wins with Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern. I think it will come down to the Northwestern game at the end of the season. It will probably be a bowl play-in game.

I can see it, but I have hard time giving them 4-0 in Non conference, and rutgers, they go 3-1, they're toast.

I never thought much of the Lovie hire TBH

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it, but I have hard time giving them 4-0 in Non conference, and rutgers, they go 3-1, they're toast.

I never thought much of the Lovie hire TBH

The Lovie hire was about money. Big name, new AD and plenty of money if you can get the alumni excited. It worked, money came in and the team has gotten a wee bit better. I think Lovie gets this year. If the new freshman QB can get them to 5-6 wins, maybe one more year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the topic of some accusing Harbaugh of somehow undermining the immediate eligibility waiver of former OL/DL Hudson -- in the last two days 3 different Michigan players have been granted immediate eligibility to play at 3 different schools. Solomon at Tenn, Oliver Martin at Iowa and Myles Sims at GT. Seems to kind of punch holes in that theory.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the topic of some accusing Harbaugh of somehow undermining the immediate eligibility waiver of former OL/DL Hudson -- in the last two days 3 different Michigan players have been granted immediate eligibility to play at 3 different schools. Solomon at Tenn, Oliver Martin at Iowa and Myles Sims at GT. Seems to kind of punch holes in that theory.
that isn't related to gophers beating hte jackrabbits in any way

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh did try to undermine Oliver Martin’s waiver. The fact he didn’t succeed doesn’t mean a thing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh did try to undermine Oliver Martin’s waiver. The fact he didn’t succeed doesn’t mean a thing.
Harbaugh thinks everyone leaving the program should be banned but immediate approval for all of his players. He actively fights every player leaving Michigan getting immediate eligiblity.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he didn’t.

In the wake of the transfer Harbaugh claimed Martin was at the top of the depth chart. Seems unlikely with how loaded Michigan is at the position, but even if true harbaugh could have simply not commented on that. Martin’s parents hired a lawyer without which he likely would have been denied. Thoughts?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the wake of the transfer Harbaugh claimed Martin was at the top of the depth chart. Seems unlikely with how loaded Michigan is at the position, but even if true harbaugh could have simply not commented on that. Martin’s parents hired a lawyer without which he likely would have been denied. Thoughts?
Often these kids hire lawyers to fight the NCAA -- not the schools. He was released unconditionally without issue when he asked and most certainly would have been our starting slot had he stayed.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

396ig9.jpg

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 1

This is not how I think the teams really are. This is based on how they looked on the field. With a few exceptions, I try not to weigh their opponent's strength at this point, but how they look on the field that 1 week.

1. Wisconsin (1-0) - Badgers and the Terps are the only two B1G teams with shutouts in the opening week. But here is an exception that USF is far better than Howard, and Heisman hopeful Jonathan Taylor ran all over the Bulls.
2. Maryland (1-0) - The Terps dominated from the get-go. They led 56-0 at halftime. QB Josh Jackson threw 4 touchdowns and in the first half. Three other players added touchdowns as well. Terps defense also held Howard to 1 yard rushing.
3. Penn State (1-0) - PSU dominated from start to finish in this game. They nearly had a 79-point shutout if it wasn't for a TD they gave up in the 4th quarter when they led 65-0. Clifford may not be McSorley but he played good and Devyn Ford had a good 100 yard performance.
4. Michigan State (1-0) - I don't think a defense in the country had a game like Spartans' defense. Tulsa got a TD right before half and was down 25-0, but MSU allowed -73 yards rushing. However, their offense has much to improve.
5. Illinois (1-0) - Like I said, don't get too worked up over Illinois at #5. I don't see them as 2nd best team in the B1G West, but I would say they looked like the 5th best team today. They didn't underachieve in any way like some other B1G teams better than them. However, in week 1, they looked very impressive. They had a 28-3 halftime lead and had 400 yards of offense.
6. Ohio State (1-0) - The beginning of a new era begins in Columbus. The Buckeyes got off to a 28-0 1st quarter lead and then let off the gas a little bit. However, the game was never out in reach for FAU. Again, Ohio State being 6th is not a big deal. If Ohio State didn't let off the gas, they would be much higher
7. Michigan (1-0) -
8. Iowa (1-0) - Now here is a gap between #7 and #8. Top 7 looked great. The rest should have done better or are just not that good. Iowa acted like they were playing Miami (FL) when they were actually playing Miami (OH). They struggled the first half. At least they got things going in the 2nd half.
9. Nebraska (1-0) - Huskers scored 5 touchdowns in five different ways against South Alabama. Positive about that is that they showed they are dangerous in different aspects of the game. Negative is that South Alabama had more 1st downs and more yards than Nebraska, and Nebraska only won by 14.
10. Northwestern (0-1) - Here is an exception where I am taking the strength of the opponent into consideration. On one hand, they looked good allowing Stanford to score only 17 points. However, they only scored 7 points and Stanford was in control of the entire game. I will give them props for playing Stanford, but the risk of doing so is losing has to cost them too.
11. Minnesota (1-0) - I get that SDSU is a great FCS team, but Minnesota should still have won with full control. That didn't happen. Statistically, the Gophers only won on the scoreboard. SDSU out rushed, passed, had more first downs and forced more turnovers. However, Minnesota still won, so if they play really good after this, they will rise faster.
12. Rutgers (1-0) - I saw the first quarter before I had to help out with a high school football game. I thought it was going to be a long game for Rutgers when UMass got the quick lead. Rutgers got things going, but UMass is a terrible G5 team.
13. Indiana (1-0) - The Hoosiers never dominated Ball State. It was even a 7-point game in the 4th quarter. Indiana did outgain Ball State, but it was not a good game for them.
14. Purdue (0-1) - For 3 quarters, Purdue looked like they would deserve a top half ranking on this list. Then the 4th quarter happened and they allowed 17 unanswered points.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh thinks everyone leaving the program should be banned but immediate approval for all of his players. He actively fights every player leaving Michigan getting immediate eligiblity.

I know this destroys the narrative everyone tries to paint on Harbaugh and Michigan, but Harbaugh is on record saying he thinks every student/athlete should get one free transfer without penalty.

And as the lawyer Mars, who represented so many players said — the NCAA is going to make whatever decision they feel fit and there isn’t much a school can do once they grant the transfer.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - post Week 1

This is not how I think the teams really are. This is based on how they looked on the field. With a few exceptions, I try not to weigh their opponent's strength at this point, but how they look on the field that 1 week.

1. Wisconsin (1-0) - Badgers and the Terps are the only two B1G teams with shutouts in the opening week. But here is an exception that USF is far better than Howard, and Heisman hopeful Jonathan Taylor ran all over the Bulls.
2. Maryland (1-0) - The Terps dominated from the get-go. They led 56-0 at halftime. QB Josh Jackson threw 4 touchdowns and in the first half. Three other players added touchdowns as well. Terps defense also held Howard to 1 yard rushing.
3. Penn State (1-0) - PSU dominated from start to finish in this game. They nearly had a 79-point shutout if it wasn't for a TD they gave up in the 4th quarter when they led 65-0. Clifford may not be McSorley but he played good and Devyn Ford had a good 100 yard performance.
4. Michigan State (1-0) - I don't think a defense in the country had a game like Spartans' defense. Tulsa got a TD right before half and was down 25-0, but MSU allowed -73 yards rushing. However, their offense has much to improve.
5. Illinois (1-0) - Like I said, don't get too worked up over Illinois at #5. I don't see them as 2nd best team in the B1G West, but I would say they looked like the 5th best team today. They didn't underachieve in any way like some other B1G teams better than them. However, in week 1, they looked very impressive. They had a 28-3 halftime lead and had 400 yards of offense.
6. Ohio State (1-0) - The beginning of a new era begins in Columbus. The Buckeyes got off to a 28-0 1st quarter lead and then let off the gas a little bit. However, the game was never out in reach for FAU. Again, Ohio State being 6th is not a big deal. If Ohio State didn't let off the gas, they would be much higher
7. Michigan (1-0) -
8. Iowa (1-0) - Now here is a gap between #7 and #8. Top 7 looked great. The rest should have done better or are just not that good. Iowa acted like they were playing Miami (FL) when they were actually playing Miami (OH). They struggled the first half. At least they got things going in the 2nd half.
9. Nebraska (1-0) - Huskers scored 5 touchdowns in five different ways against South Alabama. Positive about that is that they showed they are dangerous in different aspects of the game. Negative is that South Alabama had more 1st downs and more yards than Nebraska, and Nebraska only won by 14.
10. Northwestern (0-1) - Here is an exception where I am taking the strength of the opponent into consideration. On one hand, they looked good allowing Stanford to score only 17 points. However, they only scored 7 points and Stanford was in control of the entire game. I will give them props for playing Stanford, but the risk of doing so is losing has to cost them too.
11. Minnesota (1-0) - I get that SDSU is a great FCS team, but Minnesota should still have won with full control. That didn't happen. Statistically, the Gophers only won on the scoreboard. SDSU out rushed, passed, had more first downs and forced more turnovers. However, Minnesota still won, so if they play really good after this, they will rise faster.
12. Rutgers (1-0) - I saw the first quarter before I had to help out with a high school football game. I thought it was going to be a long game for Rutgers when UMass got the quick lead. Rutgers got things going, but UMass is a terrible G5 team.
13. Indiana (1-0) - The Hoosiers never dominated Ball State. It was even a 7-point game in the 4th quarter. Indiana did outgain Ball State, but it was not a good game for them.
14. Purdue (0-1) - For 3 quarters, Purdue looked like they would deserve a top half ranking on this list. Then the 4th quarter happened and they allowed 17 unanswered points.

I agree with everything you said about Michigan.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was shamed into stopping his ass-hattery temporarily? Good.