• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the midway point of the season, there should be enough raw data. The name on the jersey should not count.
When the opponents are averaging around 3.5 wins? Can you really?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin is the first FBS team with four shutouts in the first six games of a season since Oklahoma did it in 1967 and the first Big Ten team to do it since Minnesota in 1962.

Wisconsin has allowed just 4.8 pts per game thus far.
To put that into perspective, 1971 Nebraska (widely considered to be the Best Team Ever) allowed just 4.5 pts per game through it's first 6 games.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the midway point of the season, there should be enough raw data. The name on the jersey should not count.

You're kidding yourself if you think at this point in season prior history isn't a factor on how teams are evaluated. It's not like Wisconsin is ranked behind 5-1 teams.

MN is 6-0 and currently 20th. I get they haven't beaten anyone good, but they also dont' have history on their side to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Let's say MN had Iowa's schedule, Iowa is #23. No way MN is ranked #23 @ 4-2 with Iowa's schedule.

Wi has looked much better this year than I thought they'd be, anti Wi bias and all. If WI wins the B1G, they'll be in the playoffs.

Until then, it's all meaningless. While I want to see B1GE dethroned, I don't want it to be Wi to do it...

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding yourself if you think at this point in season prior history isn't a factor on how teams are evaluated. It's not like Wisconsin is ranked behind 5-1 teams.

MN is 6-0 and currently 20th. I get they haven't beaten anyone good, but they also dont' have history on their side to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Let's say MN had Iowa's schedule, Iowa is #23. No way MN is ranked #23 @ 4-2 with Iowa's schedule.

Wi has looked much better this year than I thought they'd be, anti Wi bias and all. If WI wins the B1G, they'll be in the playoffs.

Until then, it's all meaningless. While I want to see B1GE dethroned, I don't want it to be Wi to do it...
So, you're gonna be a Buckeye fan on December 7th?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're gonna be a Buckeye fan on December 7th?

I'm not counting MN out just yet and I wouldn't be surprised if the battle for axe is also for B1GW crown.

I would put Wi as the favorites. But it would be more of rooting for Wi to lose. My 3 least liked B1G Teams are:

Wi, Ia, and Mi

when playing out of conference, I root for B1G to win, excluding Wi and Ia. I don't care if it's women's gymnastics, I always enjoy a good Wi Loss

Reactions: gob

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It may be.is a factor in how they are evaluated. All I said is that there are enough data points now to decrease or eliminate that factor. Minn is getting the SOS treatment. Wisconsin's 6-0 is not the same as Minnesota's 6-0.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be.is a factor in how they are evaluated. All I said is that there are enough data points now to decrease or eliminate that factor. Minn is getting the SOS treatment. Wisconsin's 6-0 is not the same as Minnesota's 6-0.

I'm not complaining about MN's ranking or arguing they should be top 10 (they shouldn't). But I'm sad Mi isn't on our schedule.

There is bias in the rankings and it applies to teams beyond Wi. You're viewing them from a different bias as fans of all teams tend to do.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not counting MN out just yet and I wouldn't be surprised if the battle for axe is also for B1GW crown.

I would put Wi as the favorites. But it would be more of rooting for Wi to lose. My 3 least liked B1G Teams are:

Wi, Ia, and Mi

when playing out of conference, I root for B1G to win, excluding Wi and Ia. I don't care if it's women's gymnastics, I always enjoy a good Wi Loss

My kind of fan. I feel that way about Iowa, but I still root for Minnesota hockey except when they play the Badgers. That also reminds me to bookmark a hockey page.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kind of fan. I feel that way about Iowa, but I still root for Minnesota hockey except when they play the Badgers. That also reminds me to bookmark a hockey page.
Hockey I'm a UMD-Bulldog supporter, but I also root for gophers hockey. Gopher hockey fans get upset with mixed loyalties. I dont really care

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not complaining about MN's ranking or arguing they should be top 10 (they shouldn't). But I'm sad Mi isn't on our schedule.

There is bias in the rankings and it applies to teams beyond Wi. You're viewing them from a different bias as fans of all teams tend to do.

From the beginning. I am still a fan, but the numbers start taking over. I know more about what Wisconsin has done that any other team. Spending a lot of time this week building my database for the rest of the season. My arguments for and against Wisconsin or any other team will come from those numbers.

Ntw, before the year started I had us splitting with the Michigan schools, so I underestimated us too. I still see a loss to Ohio State coming.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the beginning. I am still a fan, but the numbers start taking over. I know more about what Wisconsin has done that any other team. Spending a lot of time this week building my database for the rest of the season. My arguments for and against Wisconsin or any other team will come from those numbers.

Ntw, before the year started I had us splitting with the Michigan schools, so I underestimated us too. I still see a loss to Ohio State coming.

I get what you're saying and I agree, the jersey matters in these rankings. If it should or not, how do you determine that?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying and I agree, the jersey matters in these rankings. If it should or not, how do you determine that?

By the end of the year, the jersey should mean nothing. Results are what matter(at least for determining a champ). The jersey itself is noise to stat heads. No jersey has ever won a game.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the end of the year, the jersey should mean nothing. Results are what matter(at least for determining a champ). The jersey itself is noise to stat heads. No jersey has ever won a game.

Right, and I would think if Wi goes 12-0, they'll be in the championship game

If they lose to tOHSU in regular season, but win Champ game, that is where it could potentially get interesting

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which ever way it goes it should be a great game.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's quite simple. You beat those jerseys when the opportunity arises.

Minnesota will get that opportunity Nov 9th hosting what is currently (6-0) Penn St.
Minnesota will get that opportunity Nov 30th hosting what is currently (6-0) Wisconsin.
Minnesota will get that opportunity if they make it to the Big 10 CCG against who is potentially to be current (6-0) Ohio St.

Beat those 3 teams and @ Rutgers, Maryland, @ Iowa, @ Northwestern, and Minnesota will be in the CFP. Jersey's have nothing to do with it.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite simple. You beat those jerseys when the opportunity arises.

Minnesota will get that opportunity Nov 9th hosting what is currently (6-0) Penn St.
Minnesota will get that opportunity Nov 30th hosting what is currently (6-0) Wisconsin.
Minnesota will get that opportunity if they make it to the Big 10 CCG against who is potentially to be current (6-0) Ohio St.

Beat those 3 teams and @ Rutgers, Maryland, @ Iowa, @ Northwestern, and Minnesota will be in the CFP. Jersey's have nothing to do with it.

Correct, but at this point and time it does. Be it MN, Wi, or other.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he problem with Minnesota on the face of it is that they have been a bit schizoid so far. Are they the team from the 1st 4 games or the team from the last 2 games?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed on Minnesota.

Not so much Wisconsin who is #6 and will for sure be Top 5 if they beat Ohio St in Columbus on Oct 26th.

Minnesota will be Top 10 if they beat Penn St on Nov 9th. Count on it.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he problem with Minnesota on the face of it is that they have been a bit schizoid so far. Are they the team from the 1st 4 games or the team from the last 2 games?

I'm not disagreeing with where MN is ranked. I'm just enjoying the run with little expectations. I think it's possible we win the B1GW and even less possible on B1G

I can tell you in opening MN games they shot themselves in the foot A LOT and were determined to run up the middle (RUTM) every play regardless of what defense was in front of them. 10 in box, RUTM. Of course, Purdue started the game looking to take away RUTM so we threw just behind them on slants. Purdue also got two late TD's, one on an onside making it little tighter than it should've been, MN had been dominating them, but people see final score.....

Nebraska sat back to take away the slant, and we ran all over them, and when they moved up to stop run, still couldnt.

Offensively Wi is what I thought they'd be, which is what they always are. Their defense went from good to being lights out.