• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bengals are becoming the 2010 Niners

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I really like a lot of the draft picks the Bengals have made in recent memory. They have a ton of talent on the team everywhere except the QB position, where they are mediocre.

This sounds a lot like the 2010 Niners. They had a poor, defensive-minded head coach, a limited but relatively efficient QB and a ton of talent around him (on both sides of the ball).

They now have the best TE duo in the NFL; they have the 2nd best WR in the NFL; their OL is starting to really come together...

The have an all-pro' DT, a couple of really good pass rushers at DE and some really talented CBs.

If the Bengals got an offensive-minded head coach in there who found a diamond in the rough at QB like Harbaugh did with Kaep, they could be a really dangerous team.

Would you rather have that kind of team with a limited QB or a team like the Colts with less overall talent but a potential superstar QB?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like a lot of the draft picks the Bengals have made in recent memory. They have a ton of talent on the team everywhere except the QB position, where they are mediocre.

This sounds a lot like the 2010 Niners. They had a poor, defensive-minded head coach, a limited but relatively efficient QB and a ton of talent around him (on both sides of the ball).

They now have the best TE duo in the NFL; they have the 2nd best WR in the NFL; their OL is starting to really come together...

The have an all-pro' DT, a couple of really good pass rushers at DE and some really talented CBs.

If the Bengals got an offensive-minded head coach in there who found a diamond in the rough at QB like Harbaugh did with Kaep, they could be a really dangerous team.

Would you rather have that kind of team with a limited QB or a team like the Colts with less overall talent but a potential superstar QB?

i'll take the potential superstar QB.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd dispute the bolded and put AJ Green at either 4 or 5 personally(Fitz 1, Johnson and Johnson 2 and 3, Julio jones in contention for 4), but I do think they're doing a decent job building that team.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year they should go after a coach like Greg Roman

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's hoping Roman is like Gary Kubiac used to be & keeps on rejecting head coaching offers to be an OC longer.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well first of all thank you for admitting AJ Greene is the 2nd best WR in the NFL. It shouldn't really even be up for debate anymore.

I agree with most of your comments. It's a little too early to say they have the best TE duo because Hernandez and Gronk should still have that honor until Gresham and Eifert can prove themselves.

I'm also not quite sold on any of their CB's other than Leon Hall and isn't Taylor Mays fighting to start at Safety? That sounds like trouble to me.

Andy Dalton is a tricky situation. The Bengals have put themselves in a good position to do one of a couple of things. Trade Dalton for draft pick(s), bring in another QB to groom and eventually let him compete with Dalton to start, or keep him. I am of the belief that Dalton is a good enough QB to take them deep in the playoffs.

Their Defense is shaping up, their O-line has been solid, they helped themselves out by drafting a couple of RB's to take the pressure off of Dalton while giving Dalton more options for those shorter to mid level throws, and they drafted my boy Margus Hunt who i believe could be the steal of this draft (other than Lattimore of course).

However, until Dalton can win a playoff game he will continue to be questioned. It took Matt Ryan a while, and he's a much better QB.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well first of all thank you for admitting AJ Greene is the 2nd best WR in the NFL. It shouldn't really even be up for debate anymore.

I agree with most of your comments. It's a little too early to say they have the best TE duo because Hernandez and Gronk should still have that honor until Gresham and Eifert can prove themselves.

I'm also not quite sold on any of their CB's other than Leon Hall and isn't Taylor Mays fighting to start at Safety? That sounds like trouble to me.

Andy Dalton is a tricky situation. The Bengals have put themselves in a good position to do one of a couple of things. Trade Dalton for draft pick(s), bring in another QB to groom and eventually let him compete with Dalton to start, or keep him. I am of the belief that Dalton is a good enough QB to take them deep in the playoffs.

Their Defense is shaping up, their O-line has been solid, they helped themselves out by drafting a couple of RB's to take the pressure off of Dalton while giving Dalton more options for those shorter to mid level throws, and they drafted my boy Margus Hunt who i believe could be the steal of this draft (other than Lattimore of course).

However, until Dalton can win a playoff game he will continue to be questioned. It took Matt Ryan a while, and he's a much better QB.

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Andre Johnson

You can make a perfectly legitimate argument for Julio Jones as well.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Andre Johnson

You can make a perfectly legitimate argument for Julio Jones as well.

Megatron is number one. I'm not disputing that. If we're going based off of last season you could try to make that argument. All though AJ caught more TD's and gained more yards then Julio. Plus, Roddy White takes a lot of pressure off of Julio and he has Matt Ryan throwing to him. There really wasn't anyone to take pressure off of A.J. Green.

You could make the same argument for Andre Johnson. They were both targeted 164 time.

Andrew Johnson: 1,598 yards - 4 TD's
A.J. Greene: 1,350 yards - 11 TD's
Julio Jones: 1,198 yards - 10 TD's
Larry Fitzgerald: 798 yards - 4 TD's

I'd still take Greene any day of the week. I don't trust Andre's consistency and Julio is close, but I would need to see a bit more from him. I'm not sure where Larry stands right now because he had such inconsistent QB play last year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald is far and away the best WR in the NFL. If he was in Cincinatti he would blow green's numbers away. If he was in New England, Denver, or Green Bay he would have one of the best seasons ever by a receiver.

Andre Johnson is and has been a top 3 receiver for the bulk of his career. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea this judgement is based on last year, or that his consistency is in question. He has broke 1500 3 years of the last 5, had 1200 the fourth, and the last missed the bulk of the season with an injury.

Julio you summed up well. I would probably take green over him, but I mentioned him as arguable because you thought top 2 was un arguable.

AJ green is a very good receiver. I won't dispute that. But undebatably 2 is a stretch.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Calvin Johnson

I'm perfectly content with that as long as there's no close third. Cause there isn't. These two operate on another plane (though Megatron is the best).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly different styles. Megaton is a little better at getting vertical, but Fitz has so much more overall range and the best hands in the NFL. I'll take Fitz every time.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Bengals are getting some pieces but they seem to fold in the clutch, they are getting better because of their division. Go 49ers!!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald is far and away the best WR in the NFL. If he was in Cincinatti he would blow green's numbers away. If he was in New England, Denver, or Green Bay he would have one of the best seasons ever by a receiver.

Andre Johnson is and has been a top 3 receiver for the bulk of his career. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea this judgement is based on last year, or that his consistency is in question. He has broke 1500 3 years of the last 5, had 1200 the fourth, and the last missed the bulk of the season with an injury.

Julio you summed up well. I would probably take green over him, but I mentioned him as arguable because you thought top 2 was un arguable.

AJ green is a very good receiver. I won't dispute that. But undebatably 2 is a stretch.

I said if we are going off of last year. A.J. has only been in the league 2 years now, so it's hard to go against the larger body of stats that Fitz, Megatron, and Andre Johnson have accumulated. Still, A.J. had 1,057 yards receiving and 7 TD's with a rookie QB throwing his way and with 116 targets compared to his 164 from last year.

I probably shouldn't have said it shouldn't be up for debate that A.J. is the 2nd best WR in the league, because you can basically debate just about anything. In my opinion he is the 2nd best, though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Larry Fitzgerald is far and away the best WR in the NFL.

Wow. I think that would be cuckoo even if you didn't say "far and away." Because Megatron is the best WR in the NFL by a decent margin.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

rating WR's is a tough call, some include past seasons (ie reputation), and someone may base it off last season? then there's the "but he plays for so and so...."

but for fantasy football purposes, IMO Green is the guy this coming season. Calvin will get his yards again, but his lack of TD's pushes him down to second. whereas Green will increase his yardage total.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I think that would be cuckoo even if you didn't say "far and away." Because Megatron is the best WR in the NFL by a decent margin.

Disagree. His only edge over Fitzgerald is slightly better verticality. Fitz has better range overall and better hands.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Disagree. His only edge over Fitzgerald is slightly better verticality. Fitz has better range overall and better hands.

Fitz had better range? Considering Calvin has a longer reach, he's faster and he's more agile, I don't see how that's possible.

Nothing against Fitz, but Megatron has everything you could possibly want in a WR. He was genetically engineered to play wide receiver in the NFL.

And I'd take AJ Green over Fitz too at this point. It's close, but Green is quicker & has amazing ball skills (so does Tyler Eifert, which is why I already think the Bengals have the best TE duo in the NFL).

I'm just glad punkass, afraid-of-the-NFC Peyton Manning isn't a free agent again because the Bungles could do some serious damage with a QB who is (1) that good (2) that huge of a douche face butthole and (3) whose hair you can't see from space.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He uses his length more efficiently. If I need someone to go get a ball any direction but straight up it's Fitzgerald. I think you're relying too much on the fact his team was a joke with no weapons.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you can really make the argument for Fitz > Megatron. As far as AJ goes, he has a very mediocre QB throwing him the ball, and is constantly doubled. After AJ, the Bengals WR corps is a joke.

As far as the team as a hole, we have a bonehead head coach, who is still running out the worst starting middle LB in the league, and our safety play is shaky at best. This is pretty much the make or break year for Dalton. I'm not a fan, but I am hoping ownership realizes this after this year. Tough schedule this year. 8-8 would be a huge success in my eyes.