• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Ballpark In Arlington's Final Homestand Begins As The Rangers Host The Red Sox Sept. 24-26

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will agree that Solak, Willie and Santana are our new young hitters core. They need to have the bulk of the playing time. Impressed with Trevino too.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most but doubt if we move Odor but do agree that a Solak best position is 2B. But defensively think Odor is fine. Elvis made a great jump throw out of the hole but so did Odor.

How he handles the glut will be extremely interesting.
Elvis does both. (off/def) Odor...no. Remember I was asking questions. Not making a statement.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis does both. (off/def) Odor...no. Remember I was asking questions. Not making a statement.

Ok thanks. I do hope Elvis has a better year offensively next year. Just really surprised that Guzman has not started practically all games since Sept 1 call ups. Big lanky guy with long swing surely creates holes. Just great defensively. Hoping beyond reason he can turn it around. Makes me think he is not penciled in with the Ranger plans

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you over concern yourself with fallback plans. What was the fallback plan this year at several positions? It was do whatever you can. We have a hard enough time filling out a quality lineup.

Usually the fallback plan is your best player at that position in your upper levels of your farm system. You may not like those options, but that is because we are weak organizationally.
Our best option is to fill 1 or 2 of positional needs during the off-season and bench/trade Odor, utilize Solak at 2B and Santana as the utility player. Personally I see Santana playing in between 100 and 125 games over multiple positions just like he was used this season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm for giving everyone a chance and i'm not basing anything on 10 games. you are the one who seems to be willing to gamble on him with no contingency plan if he can't handle it for a season.

I don't at all understand what your point is here. What do you mean 'contingency plan?' Hell man, we've got hole-on-top-of-hole and someone needs to be given the opportunity to fill the one they're assigned.

This team is nowhere near the point of worrying about the 'what if he doesn't pan out' position IMO.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok thanks. I do hope Elvis has a better year offensively next year. Just really surprised that Guzman has not started practically all games since Sept 1 call ups. Big lanky guy with long swing surely creates holes. Just great defensively. Hoping beyond reason he can turn it around. Makes me think he is not penciled in with the Ranger plans

You may be correct, but has there EVER been a team which has shit-the-bed more on bad moves/giving up at the 1st base position than the Rangers?

Like I responded, you may be 100% right. But you noted how good a 1st baseman he is, and I keep hammering on his age, plus he's got time to stay in the minors for another full season doesn't he? Shoot, hang on to him and see what happens.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will agree that Solak, Willie and Santana are our new young hitters core. They need to have the bulk of the playing time. Impressed with Trevino too.

I'm glad to see you say this, b/c I was going to ask y'all, collectively, how you felt about him as our everyday catcher for 2020.

From afar, his BA seems to be better than what most thought he could do, and his catching/throwing have been been pretty good.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see you say this, b/c I was going to ask y'all, collectively, how you felt about him as our everyday catcher for 2020.

From afar, his BA seems to be better than what most thought he could do, and his catching/throwing have been been pretty good.
I like him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be correct, but has there EVER been a team which has shit-the-bed more on bad moves/giving up at the 1st base position than the Rangers?

Like I responded, you may be 100% right. But you noted how good a 1st baseman he is, and I keep hammering on his age, plus he's got time to stay in the minors for another full season doesn't he? Shoot, hang on to him and see what happens.

Does he have another option? May need to look up? If so then yes no reason to dump him and really thought we would not anyways although a trade could happen.

I guess w could talk Chris Davis, Smoak and maybe even Mitch and guess A Gonzales. Palmero was great. Trying to forget Prince, the elephant in the room. Haha

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Big guy with cannon and good speed smells like RF to me.

Same with Santana. Looks like good arm and better speed. 3B is more about quick instinctual decisive moves. He was terrible defensively there. So give him an offseason and ST and the best we get is average. Beltre gave us elite. Let's do better than average
Was it a failure on the part of the organization not to move Gallo after they drafted him then? Seems like they didn't agree that it was his natural position.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Big guy with cannon and good speed smells like RF to me.

Same with Santana. Looks like good arm and better speed. 3B is more about quick instinctual decisive moves. He was terrible defensively there. So give him an offseason and ST and the best we get is average. Beltre gave us elite. Let's do better than average
Lol at your quick appraisal of Santana, no matter which position it is at. It is just silly to make snap judgments. I guess when the mind is made up there is no changing it.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at your quick appraisal of Santana, no matter which position it is at. It is just silly to make snap judgments. I guess when the mind is made up there is no changing it.

If JD moves him then I will agree

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our best option is to fill 1 or 2 of positional needs during the off-season and bench/trade Odor, utilize Solak at 2B and Santana as the utility player. Personally I see Santana playing in between 100 and 125 games over multiple positions just like he was used this season.
He would have played in right at 140 games had we not sent him to the minors for the first 13 games. That is about right. 140 games. That makes him a regular and that is what he should be.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a bonus or something else involved in the 200th strikeout for Minor. Personal goal is not enough to drop a pop up but if there was $250-500k involved that is another thing altogether, one might think

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that has been my concern with some wanting to kick Guzman to the curb. He needs at least another year to see what he has since he has been successful in the minors.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a bonus or something else involved in the 200th strikeout for Minor. Personal goal is not enough to drop a pop up but if there was $250-500k involved that is another thing altogether, one might think
Heard there was no bonus.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I 2nd that. He really grew on me in all facets of the game.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't at all understand what your point is here. What do you mean 'contingency plan?' Hell man, we've got hole-on-top-of-hole and someone needs to be given the opportunity to fill the one they're assigned.

This team is nowhere near the point of worrying about the 'what if he doesn't pan out' position IMO.
Maybe someone needs to worry about it

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot Gallo.