• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like losing by 28 points @ home in year #5 is what rock bottom feels like. the only positive is that Chris Mack said super nice things about the community of Wake Forest and Winston-Salem in the post-game presser

most of the BOT were in attendance last night

Yeah I don't see how he saves it after this season. Him and Pastner might both be looking for a new gig.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like losing by 28 points @ home in year #5 is what rock bottom feels like. the only positive is that Chris Mack said super nice things about the community of Wake Forest and Winston-Salem in the post-game presser

most of the BOT were in attendance last night

I watched that game on and off and I have to say that Wake Forest looked really bad. I don't think they could beat a good high school team with the way they played last night. I remember Manning called TO and the kids were arguing with each other walking to the huddle. As long as DM stays I don't see them getting any better.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not official, but talks out of the program are Justin Robinson broke his toe and is out for a couple of months

FML

:L :L :L :L :L

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see how he saves it after this season. Him and Pastner might both be looking for a new gig.

i think Pastner gets one more year. that was another stupid hire by a school that should be better in hoops than what it has been.

for the first time ever, DM is starting to make excuses about why one of his teams suck. he's usually taken it like a man, but last night he wouldn't shut up about how young his team is.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched that game on and off and I have to say that Wake Forest looked really bad. I don't think they could beat a good high school team with the way they played last night. I remember Manning called TO and the kids were arguing with each other walking to the huddle. As long as DM stays I don't see them getting any better.

yeah, DM isn't a head coach at this level. sad, but it is the truth

the DM experience makes me want Wake to stay away from Wes Miller. I want a seasoned veteran

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can we also all agree that John Collins was absolutely robbed in 2017 when he wasn't named ACC POY?

Collins had a lot of people thinking that DM was a decent ACC level head coach

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the DM experience makes me want Wake to stay away from Wes Miller. I want a seasoned veteran

Who would be your first choice, realistically? I can see a guy like Alford wanting to get back into it right away. Are you looking to hopefully pull a coach from a P5 school or do you think Wake looks at guys at the G5 level? It's a weird job IMO, in that I'm not sure where it falls in the pecking order. Odom/Prosser turned Wake into a top 15 job IMO. So back then, I think it would have been realistic to get the guy from Virginia Tech, who's turned them around. Or get the guy at LSU or Tennessee who's turned them around. Or Texas Tech. There are numerous examples of it. It's why it makes for such a difficult hire IMO.

And maybe I feel this way because of when I was introduced to the sport. Wake had Duncan, then transitioned into Howard, then Paul. They were a top 15 program when I first started following it, and haven't been under Bzdelik and DM. Maybe split the difference and they are now a top 35/40ish job. I honestly have no clue. Just sets up for a fascinating hire.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not official, but talks out of the program are Justin Robinson broke his toe and is out for a couple of months

FML

:L :L :L :L :L

That would be a big blow. If it is just his toe, he may be able to get back quicker tho

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be your first choice, realistically? I can see a guy like Alford wanting to get back into it right away. Are you looking to hopefully pull a coach from a P5 school or do you think Wake looks at guys at the G5 level? It's a weird job IMO, in that I'm not sure where it falls in the pecking order. Odom/Prosser turned Wake into a top 15 job IMO. So back then, I think it would have been realistic to get the guy from Virginia Tech, who's turned them around. Or get the guy at LSU or Tennessee who's turned them around. Or Texas Tech. There are numerous examples of it. It's why it makes for such a difficult hire IMO.

And maybe I feel this way because of when I was introduced to the sport. Wake had Duncan, then transitioned into Howard, then Paul. They were a top 15 program when I first started following it, and haven't been under Bzdelik and DM. Maybe split the difference and they are now a top 35/40ish job. I honestly have no clue. Just sets up for a fascinating hire.

1.) who would be my #1 choice is difficult, b/c it is really hard to judge who would be interested in the job. I like Oats from Buffalo and Grant from CofC. Wake isn't going to land Marshall, but they need to give him a call. I'm intrigued by Matta, but I also doubt he'll be the next coach. Miller should be like the 5th or 6th option. I'll also go out on a limb and say that none of these guys I just mentioned will be the next coach, because that's how it works, lmao.

2.) i think Wake is more committed to basketball than anyone in the ACC, outside of Duke, UNC, Louisville, Virginia, Syracuse and NCSU. the # of money Wake has invested into the program speaks for itself. also, there was an announced attendance of 9,487 people @ the Wake/BC game. over 9k Wake fans went to watch their below .500 Deacs take on a bad Boston College team. That is a fan base that supports their basketball program.

3.) Wake being a small, private school located in a decent sized area is an advantage. It isn't another cookie cutter, generic state school. The Triad produces some decent basketball talent. That doesn't even include the Charlotte area. The # of talented kids that went out of state during the Manning era is alarming.

4.) DM has recruited well. This Wake team started the year off with more 5*/4* talent than 3* talent. and that is with him running off Crawford (4*) and Moore (4*) to the pros. Honestly, this years Deac team is a historic misuse of talent.

5.) I don't trust Ron Wellman. I don't think he has a good reputation inside of the college basketball coaching fraternity, dating back to his days as the head of the CBB selection committee. The way he fired Dino and then slandered him (when it was obvious that Bzdelik was horrible, the Wake AD shared stories about how Wake basketball needed a culture change and that the players who were being brought in just weren't a good fit for the university) was also pretty sketchy. Wellman needs to retire, in all honesty. He has to be in his seventies.

note: i think Mit Shah is Wake Forest basketball's greatest ally. he is part of the Atlanta Hawks ownership group. He's donated a ton of money to the basketball program and from all accounts, he wants to win. I think Shah's influence could be very attractive to potential coaching candidates.

Last edited:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly don't think Wes Miller is a fit at Wake Forest either. I'm sure they have enough money to get whomever they want too so I'm thinking a higher profile guy is on their agenda. And Ron Wellman needs to be gone too IMHO.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think Wes Miller is a fit at Wake Forest either. I'm sure they have enough money to get whomever they want too so I'm thinking a higher profile guy is on their agenda. And Ron Wellman needs to be gone too IMHO.

The lack of P5 coaching experience is a huge knock on Miller. Hasn't even been a DBO on this level and his resume isn't good enough yet to overcome that. He is doing good things at UNCG

agreed about RW. He needs to retire

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor train is flying like crazy... might lose J-Rob for a month+. That'd be 4 guys lost from rotation, including our 4-year starting PG since the fall. Buzz is a miracle man for holding this team in the top 20 with thin depth, but this would plummet us from a potential top-4 seed to being on the bubble.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

douggie my friend, now you are talking about how bad my Wolfies are since Wake beat us.

I'm just messing with you.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
douggie my friend, now you are talking about how bad my Wolfies are since Wake beat us.

I'm just messing with you.

Unfortunately that loss will hang around the Pack's neck like an Albatros in Ken Pom's metric.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor train is flying like crazy... might lose J-Rob for a month+. That'd be 4 guys lost from rotation, including our 4-year starting PG since the fall. Buzz is a miracle man for holding this team in the top 20 with thin depth, but this would plummet us from a potential top-4 seed to being on the bubble.

I think we could actually miss out on that bubble. If Robinson is out for the season, I think there's a chance we lose most of the games we have left. Looking at the schedule, I see maybe 2 or 3 wins if he's out. That puts us at 8 or 9 conference wins. Unless the bubble is really soft, I'd say we'd be on the outside of the tournament

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could actually miss out on that bubble. If Robinson is out for the season, I think there's a chance we lose most of the games we have left. Looking at the schedule, I see maybe 2 or 3 wins if he's out. That puts us at 8 or 9 conference wins. Unless the bubble is really soft, I'd say we'd be on the outside of the tournament

IMO...and it's just my shitty lack of knowledge opinion... 20-10 (9-9) would be JUST enough to get us in. That's kind of dependent on Purdue continuing to have success, and Washington winning the PAC. That's two quality OOC neutral court wins. Then of our final games, I think we have to pull ONE upset over @NC St, UVA, Duke, Louisville, @FSU... I keep hearing the committee takes injuries into consideration, and if we lost #5 until mid-March, they might give us the benefit of the doubt. Hell if the B1G really has 10 teams in the mix, IDK why we couldn't get it in with 20 wins.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting annoyed at refs calling flagrant fouls for trying to block the ball.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State has 20 points at the 10:44 mark; OF THE 2nd HALF

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1