• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 76ers rebuilding plan

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the whole tanking strategy is just dumb. They are lowering their franchise's reputation year by year to the point where zero top free agents will want to sign with them and they'll be forced to develop their young players on their own, but once they reach their potential they'll likely become FA's and bolt by then. This has backfired mightily, imo.

That actually is a great point. By being THIS bad, the 76ers has pretty much guaranteed not to be competitive for another 3 years still. By that point their guys are just going to be sick of being there and will want a ticket out.

The one chance they still have is a Boston Celtic/Miami Heat/Clev Cav-like offseason where they convince 2 top tier FA to sign deals with them with those FA's having the knowledge that they will be trading for a 3rd superstar with their young assets. The problem is that is less likely and less predictable than the ping pong balls they have missed with in the lottery the last couple of years.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers rebuilding plan should involve them dropping down to the D League. It's an embarrassment to the league the Tank Job they have been doing lately. If I was a 76ers season ticket holder I'd be pissed.

You know what pissed me off even more? The Sixers trading for Arnett Moultrie and Andrew Bynum(aka NOTHING) in 2012 and giving up Iguodala, Vucevic, Harkless, and two first round draft picks, again for NOTHING. Hinkie took over a shit roster, devoid of future 1st round draft picks. The assets he's been able to acquire is quite extraordinary IMO. Everybody says how much of an embarrassment they are, they still have yet to finish with the worst record in either 2013-2014 or 2014-2015.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what pissed me off even more? The Sixers trading for Arnett Moultrie and Andrew Bynum(aka NOTHING) in 2012 and giving up Iguodala, Vucevic, Harkless, and two first round draft picks, again for NOTHING. Hinkie took over a shit roster, devoid of future 1st round draft picks. The assets he's been able to acquire is quite extraordinary IMO. Everybody says how much of an embarrassment they are, they still have yet to finish with the worst record in either 2013-2014 or 2014-2015.

It's gotta be tough to be 76ers fan these past couple of years due to this odd strategy the organization has adopted. And I understand the frustrations of rooting for a badly run organization.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That actually is a great point. By being THIS bad, the 76ers has pretty much guaranteed not to be competitive for another 3 years still. By that point their guys are just going to be sick of being there and will want a ticket out.

The one chance they still have is a Boston Celtic/Miami Heat/Clev Cav-like offseason where they convince 2 top tier FA to sign deals with them with those FA's having the knowledge that they will be trading for a 3rd superstar with their young assets. The problem is that is less likely and less predictable than the ping pong balls they have missed with in the lottery the last couple of years.

That's not exactly a good point. With the new CBA, the players will be able to make more money by re-signing with the team that drafted them. Hell even Kyrie Irving resigned with the Cavs prior to Lebron and they were in as bad of shape as the Sixers currently are.

The Sixers were not getting free agents prior to tanking, so banking on getting any type of top tier free agent is unrealistic to begin with.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gotta be tough to be 76ers fan these past couple of years due to this odd strategy the organization has adopted. And I understand the frustrations of rooting for a badly run organization.

Yes, but all that awful shit in 2012 was prior to Hinkie being there. I have WAY more faith in Hinkie than I did the two previous GM's in DiLeo and Stafanski. God they were awful with trades, free agency and drafting.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I don't mind this strategy at all. It beats living in mediocrity forever, which is what the Sixers have been since like 2004. The ONLY time the future looked promising was in 2008 prior to the awful Brand signing and in 2012, but the front office then decided to trade for Bynum and draft Moultrie.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but all that awful shit in 2012 was prior to Hinkie being there. I have WAY more faith in Hinkie than I did the two previous GM's in DiLeo and Stafanski. God they were awful with trades, free agency and drafting.

Well I hope your 76ers can turn things around quickly.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope your 76ers can turn things around quickly.

Honestly it doesn't really matter, until Lebron starts declining, whichever team he's on is winning the East. The Sixers couldn't have picked a better time to blow this thing up and start over. If it takes them 3-4 years to be a contender, that's perfect timing for when Lebron starts declining.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not exactly a good point. With the new CBA, the players will be able to make more money by re-signing with the team that drafted them. Hell even Kyrie Irving resigned with the Cavs prior to Lebron and they were in as bad of shape as the Sixers currently are.

The Sixers were not getting free agents prior to tanking, so banking on getting any type of top tier free agent is unrealistic to begin with.

As a long suffering Wolves fan, I say just wait.

Leaving via FA is only the threat. It is the trade demand and the idea that they could lose one of their only valuable pieces to FA that is always the killer to the rebuilding franchise. it is hard to play chicken with a guy who only loses one extra year (money he most likely will get back anyway) when you stand to lose the biggest asset your team has.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly it doesn't really matter, until Lebron starts declining, whichever team he's on is winning the East. The Sixers couldn't have picked a better time to blow this thing up and start over. If it takes them 3-4 years to be a contender, that's perfect timing for when Lebron starts declining.

Yeah but it's still a shame what this once proud franchise is doing. It's far cry from the 76ers I grew up watching w/ Dr. J, Malone & Maurice.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leaving via FA is only the threat. It is the trade demand and the idea that they could lose one of their only valuable pieces to FA that is always the killer to the rebuilding franchise. it is hard to play chicken with a guy who only loses one extra year (money he most likely will get back anyway) when you stand to lose the biggest asset your team has.
still- if the player is really good- good enough to give a max- I still do not know any player offered a max contract his restricted free agent year that has turned it down. Butler seemed like the likeliest candidate to change that due to all the crazy circumstances, most of which the raising of the cap - but he STILL took the guaranteed money.

Greg Monroe played out his restricted free agency year rather than take a big contract- but it was not a max. --so we shall see....

but- if a team wants to keep their restricted guys- as a rule- they practically always are able to keep them.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true. But this is where I'm betting on Hinkie's scouting and player development. I'm hoping he doesn't surround our player with the likes of Johnny Flynn, Wayne Ellington, Wes Johnson, Lazar Haywood, Derrick Williams etc. If Hinkie hits on even 25% of his first round picks from 2013-2016, the Sixers will have a great roster.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait for next season guys. Watch our frontcourt dominating everyone in the paint. Hopefully we'll get Norris Cole tho.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shuffle picks, trade for big contracts, cut high price contacts, pray for ping-pong balls.

Rinse and repeat.

But, it's only been 3 years.

Try rooting for a Team that has been in the toilet for half a Century.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, wait, wait. Where has it worked for the wolves? Last I looked they had an even worse record than the 6ers, which is an impressive feat. Let's not call the a success story before they have played a game. And haven't the wolves been tanking since '07 when they traded Garnett?

They're still far from out of the woods but in terms of stacking young talent no team has done a better job than Minny. They have Towns, Wiggins, LaVine, Dieng, Muhammed, etc.

Towns and Wiggins both have all-star potential and then you have 3 solid rotational players in LaVine, Dieng, Muhammed. With a healthy Rubio, Martin, KG & Pek this roster is very interesting. They won't win right away since they are in the West and still very young, but they should be competitive. Definitely heading in the right direction.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want, but tanking doesn't create title contenders. Staying competitive, stacking assets and making moves for all-stars is what does. Unless you have the Spurs scouting department you likely aren't going to win from within by drafting in the early lottery year after year.

Zero top free agents will want to go to Philly anytime soon. Just a fact.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want, but tanking doesn't create title contenders. Staying competitive, stacking assets and making moves for all-stars is what does. Unless you have the Spurs scouting department you likely aren't going to win from within by drafting in the early lottery year after year.

Zero top free agents will want to go to Philly anytime soon. Just a fact.

Its also a fact that zero top free agents wanted to go to Philly prior to them tanking. I mean the only one of note in the last decade was Elton Brand and the Sixers vastly overpaid for him. Tanking isn't the reason no free agents want to go there.

Also, Golden State built their team mostly through the draft with Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Greene and then traded Ellis for Bogut. Sure they signed Iguodala, but that was really the only significant free agent signing. Same with Seattle/OKC. Seattle traded away Ray Allen in 07 and got Durant and Jeff Green that year. The following year they got Westbrook and then the following year they got Harden and Ibaka.

And I don't understand how you can say tanking doesn't work, then in the next sentence mention acquiring assets. Acquiring assets is exactly what Philly is doing.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta agree with Eric.

The cupboard was totally bare in Philly besides Jrue Holliday- they even owed a 1st rounder to the Heat for Moe Harkles at the time.

Now- the one place where I think they have not done well is uncover value at other places. When I look at their roster- Covington is the only guy they have found either late in the draft or as an acquisition that has the chance to be an above-average rotation player.

But going forward- they have Noel, Okafor, Embiid, Saric, Stauskas as there 5 #1's over the last 3 years. They are still owed potentially very valuable picks from the Lakers- which should be AT WORST what? top 12? ---and they are owed a first rounder by the Magic, and the Kings- not bad teams to be owed first rounders from.

I think this year they will be better- but still not win 30 games- and they will have their own pick- and the Lakers pick- which could potentially be TWO more top 10 picks

SO - in my mind this is their last year as a non factor.

Saric will come over next year. Embiid should be back- and they should be able to add 2 MORE top 12 picks from their own and the Lakers--- AND STILL have first orunders coming from Orlando and Sacramento i nthe future to add to the team.

Id say thats in pretty good shape- but the Sixers fans need to be patient for this one last year.

Holy shit. A Wiggy post that I actually liked. Well, apocalypse is now coming.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also a fact that zero top free agents wanted to go to Philly prior to them tanking. I mean the only one of note in the last decade was Elton Brand and the Sixers vastly overpaid for him. Tanking isn't the reason no free agents want to go there.

Also, Golden State built their team mostly through the draft with Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Greene and then traded Ellis for Bogut. Sure they signed Iguodala, but that was really the only significant free agent signing. Same with Seattle/OKC. Seattle traded away Ray Allen in 07 and got Durant and Jeff Green that year. The following year they got Westbrook and then the following year they got Harden and Ibaka.

And I don't understand how you can say tanking doesn't work, then in the next sentence mention acquiring assets. Acquiring assets is exactly what Philly is doing.

Golden State never tanked, they put out competitive teams and tried to make playoff runs every year. There was never a year they gutted the entire team and tried to build on young players only. They got Draymond Green 35th overall, Thompson 11th, Curry & Barnes were both respectively picked 7th overall, but even one of those picks came via trade from another team so they haven't needed one top 5 pick to get where they are now or haven't had to drag their franchise through the dirt to get there so that's a poor example.

The Thunder had no choice as they were in awful shape once Ray Allen & Rashard Lewis left in Seattle and they landed KD with the 2nd overall pick while transitioning to another state. They lost their two franchise players and got a new one that was 20 years old all in just a year span. They also had some great picks in late rounds with Ibaka (24th), Reggie Jackson (24th) & took Harden & Westbrook at 3 and 4 respectively AFTER they already had Durant, a franchise cornerstone. So that's why they are were they are now. If Philly can draft exceptionally well like OKC, SAN & Golden State has over the years in the LATE first rounder or second round AND land a true franchise player then we can talk. Until then they are just tanking like a chicken with it's heads cut off.