• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 76ers rebuilding plan

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they've been tanking for how many years now? 3 or 4? And they have Okafor & Noel to show for it with Embiid likely not seeing the floor anytime soon (Greg Oden 2.0?) & Dario Saric won't be coming until next year at the earliest.

I mean, it's worked for the TWolves, they've stacked some serious talent, but not so much for Philly. Not once have the gotten the #1 overall pick despite how hard they've tried.

That's why the whole tanking strategy is just dumb. They are lowering their franchise's reputation year by year to the point where zero top free agents will want to sign with them and they'll be forced to develop their young players on their own, but once they reach their potential they'll likely become FA's and bolt by then. This has backfired mightily, imo.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still confused as to what anyone saw in Embiid. Even if he wasn't hurt and was actually playing, he is probably not living up to his massive, unwarranted hype.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it's worked for the TWolves, they've stacked some serious talent, but not so much for Philly. Not once have the gotten the #1 overall pick despite how hard they've tried.
Wait, wait, wait. Where has it worked for the wolves? Last I looked they had an even worse record than the 6ers, which is an impressive feat. Let's not call the a success story before they have played a game. And haven't the wolves been tanking since '07 when they traded Garnett?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more with the OP. I feel bad for the fans

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they've been tanking for how many years now? 3 or 4? And they have Okafor & Noel to show for it with Embiid likely not seeing the floor anytime soon (Greg Oden 2.0?) & Dario Saric won't be coming until next year at the earliest.

That's why the whole tanking strategy is just dumb. They are lowering their franchise's reputation year by year to the point where zero top free agents will want to sign with them and they'll be forced to develop their young players on their own, but once they reach their potential they'll likely become FA's and bolt by then. This has backfired mightily, imo.

Actually, they've only been tanking for the last 2 years. In 2012-2013 the Sixers finished 9th in the conference and it was in that off season when the tanking began. That was the off season they traded Jrue for the Pelicans first round pick(Noel). What people don't realize is just how bleak the future looked because of the previous front office. The prior GM traded away Iguodala, Vucevic, Harkless and a future first round draft pick for Andrew Bynum. So to sum up, the Sixers traded 3 valuable assets and a future finals MVP for absolutely NOTHING. That in itself set the franchise back. The Sixers weren't going to compete for anything in 2013-2014, so they traded Jrue for Noel(who looks like he could turn out to be a valuable player). They also took MCW in the 2013 draft and have since traded him away for what could be a top 7ish pick next year(top 3 protected from LAL)

They took a gamble on Embiid, but mostly every team in their position would have done the same thing. They've just been unlucky with the most recent set back he's had. If he can ever get healthy, I think he can be a really good player. And Saric still being overseas is perfectly fine, he'll come over next year for the start of 2016 season and be a 22 year old rookie. It's not like the Sixers are going to contend this year.

I don't think the strategy is dumb at all(the OP even admits it worked for the Wolves) the Sixers have just been a little unlucky with injuries thus far, which I think has slowed down the process a little. But the Sixers will have 3 first round picks next year and the possibility of getting the Lakers top 3 protected pick, and can swap with the Kings the next two years.

The previous front office regime was absolutely awful. Hinkie has done an outstanding job at continually adding assets that the previous regime gave up for nothing.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more with the OP. I feel bad for the fans

No need to feel bad for us. This front office regime is much more competent than the previous one.

The year before Hinkie took over the front office did this:

Traded Iguodala, Vucevic, Harkless and a future first round pick for Andrew Bynum
Traded for Arnett Moultrie and gave up a future first rounder for him.

Doesn't get much worse than that. Trading away four future assets, a future finals MVP for NOTHING in return.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to feel bad for us. This front office regime is much more competent than the previous one.

The year before Hinkie took over the front office did this:

Traded Iguodala, Vucevic, Harkless and a future first round pick for Andrew Bynum
Traded for Arnett Moultrie and gave up a future first rounder for him.

Doesn't get much worse than that. Trading away four future assets, a future finals MVP for NOTHING in return.
I gotta agree with Eric.

The cupboard was totally bare in Philly besides Jrue Holliday- they even owed a 1st rounder to the Heat for Moe Harkles at the time.

Now- the one place where I think they have not done well is uncover value at other places. When I look at their roster- Covington is the only guy they have found either late in the draft or as an acquisition that has the chance to be an above-average rotation player.

But going forward- they have Noel, Okafor, Embiid, Saric, Stauskas as there 5 #1's over the last 3 years. They are still owed potentially very valuable picks from the Lakers- which should be AT WORST what? top 12? ---and they are owed a first rounder by the Magic, and the Kings- not bad teams to be owed first rounders from.

I think this year they will be better- but still not win 30 games- and they will have their own pick- and the Lakers pick- which could potentially be TWO more top 10 picks

SO - in my mind this is their last year as a non factor.

Saric will come over next year. Embiid should be back- and they should be able to add 2 MORE top 12 picks from their own and the Lakers--- AND STILL have first orunders coming from Orlando and Sacramento i nthe future to add to the team.

Id say thats in pretty good shape- but the Sixers fans need to be patient for this one last year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers Assets:

Embiid
Okafor
Saric
Stauskas
Covington
Noel
Lakers 1st rounder
Magic 1st rounder
Kings 1st rounder
A million 2nd rounders

This is the last year of asset acquistiion- and then next year they will focus into building a team by making moves, finally using their cap space, and trading some of those future assets to fill holes. Their front court is set in a big way even if Embiid never steps on the court. -and they have their future SG, and a solid 3rd guard off the bench in Covington.....

Need to find a Point guard, and a small forward- between all their oodles of cap space and picks they should be able to do it.

This is the last year where Hinkie gets a pass. Next year he should have no excuses- and personally- I think we will see them form into a solid team very quickly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was Moultrie- not Harkless- thats right

and that Bynum trade was an unmitigated disaster...iggy, vucevic, picks....yikes..

yah- the cupboard was totally bare besides Holliday.

Its actually rather amazing that this is likely their last year of a rebuild if you ask me considering how they had basically nothing to build on- no assets to build on.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers Assets:

Embiid
Okafor
Saric
Stauskas
Covington
Noel
Lakers 1st rounder
Magic 1st rounder
Kings 1st rounder
A million 2nd rounders

This is the last year of asset acquistiion- and then next year they will focus into building a team by making moves, finally using their cap space, and trading some of those future assets to fill holes. Their front court is set in a big way even if Embiid never steps on the court. -and they have their future SG, and a solid 3rd guard off the bench in Covington.....

Need to find a Point guard, and a small forward- between all their oodles of cap space and picks they should be able to do it.

This is the last year where Hinkie gets a pass. Next year he should have no excuses- and personally- I think we will see them form into a solid team very quickly.

For 2016 they actually have, as far as first round picks go:
-Their Own
-Lakers top 3 protected for 2016
-Heat top 10 protected for 2016
-OKC top 15 protected for 2016

Looking at that on paper, there is a good chance they get all 4 of them next year.

They have rights to swap with the Kings for 2016 and 2017, which is in a good position to be in, assuming the Kings don't make the playoffs, which I don't think they will.

The Magic pick is actually a 2017 first rounder, with no protection, again, not a bad position. They then get the Kings first round pick in 2018, which is not protected.

So to sum up, as of now, they have 8 first round picks in the next three drafts.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made the playoffs in 2011, and 2012.
They just missed in 2013 by finishing as 9th seed.

It hasnt been decades of tanking.
It has only been 2 years.

Compare that to team like the Suns (no playoffs since 2010), Wolves (2007), and Kings (06).
They have time.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was Moultrie- not Harkless- thats right

and that Bynum trade was an unmitigated disaster...iggy, vucevic, picks....yikes..

yah- the cupboard was totally bare besides Holliday.

Its actually rather amazing that this is likely their last year of a rebuild if you ask me considering how they had basically nothing to build on- no assets to build on.

Yeah, and it's not like any free agents would have been lining up to play for the Sixers anyways. The biggest free agent acquisition they've made in the last 10 years was bringing in Elton Brand, and that was a disaster. Basically the only way they got him was because they overpaid for him, and was coming off an injury to boot.

I hate that DRose got hurt in their playoff series a couple years back and the Sixers ended up winning that series and making the ECS. It gave them a sense of being a contender even though they finished .500 that year. What happens that off season...they trade for Bynum...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 2016 they actually have, as far as first round picks go:
-Their Own
-Lakers top 3 protected for 2016
-Heat top 10 protected for 2016
-OKC top 15 protected for 2016

Looking at that on paper, there is a good chance they get all 4 of them next year.

They have rights to swap with the Kings for 2016 and 2017, which is in a good position to be in, assuming the Kings don't make the playoffs, which I don't think they will.

The Magic pick is actually a 2017 first rounder, with no protection, again, not a bad position. They then get the Kings first round pick in 2018, which is not protected.

So to sum up, as of now, they have 8 first round picks in the next three drafts.
thats crazy--- those picks are not your typical traded first round picks- a lot of them have real value- especially the Lakers, Kings and Magic picks....

so- lets just skip this season as one more lost season- but its not really lost since the young guys will develop...but lets say starting next year Embiid is back, Saric comes over...

PG- ?
SG- Stauskas
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Okafor

bench- Embiid, Covington

TONS of cap space

Their own pick, and the Lakers pick- which is potentially two top 10 picks-

the OKC and Miami picks which will probably be late teens to early twenties.......

I gotta say- you can start to see the picture coming into focus--- and its about what the typical rebuild runs- 3-4 years....

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats crazy--- those picks are not your typical traded first round picks- a lot of them have real value- especially the Lakers, Kings and Magic picks....

so- lets just skip this season as one more lost season- but its not really lost since the young guys will develop...but lets say starting next year Embiid is back, Saric comes over...

PG- ?
SG- Stauskas
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Okafor

bench- Embiid, Covington

TONS of cap space

Their own pick, and the Lakers pick- which is potentially two top 10 picks-

the OKC and Miami picks which will probably be late teens to early twenties.......

I gotta say- you can start to see the picture coming into focus--- and its about what the typical rebuild runs- 3-4 years....

Yeah, those picks hold a lot of great value. I do think this is another season that will see the Sixers finish in the bottom 5 of the league. But that's not the worst thing either. This upcoming draft they can replenish the backcourt and then have a roster full of lottery picks and other 1st rounders.

The real crazy thing, and this comes down to Embiid being healthy, the Sixers could add SIX guys to next year's team(the start of 2016) that are 22 or younger all having been drafted in the lottery or first round. I can't remember the last time a team added that many quality young players to a team. If they catch a break and can add a Lillard type of player next year or the year after in the draft at the PG position, they will be sitting well in 2017 and beyond. That said, that is certainly easier said then done.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still confused as to what anyone saw in Embiid. Even if he wasn't hurt and was actually playing, he is probably not living up to his massive, unwarranted hype.

Embid is BY FAR the most talented prospect they have drafted. He had close to the post acumen of Okafor with the ability to shoot and could play interior defense like Nerlens.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers rebuilding plan should involve them dropping down to the D League. It's an embarrassment to the league the Tank Job they have been doing lately. If I was a 76ers season ticket holder I'd be pissed.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wolves never really tanked. They were just bad. Huge difference.

The major difference between the two teams is that the Wolves were lucky enough to trade their star player for a superstar rookie (Love-Wiggins) while Phili was trading away Iggy and Vuvecic for a one year rental.

IMO Phili will not win until fire Hinkie. Can't win with a guy who tries to lose IMO. Changing culture on that team is more important than getting a slightly better prospect in a draft. That is why people shouldn't point to the Wolves yet....all they have is potential at this point. They still could be the worst team in the league for the next decade. But that is why Flip traded for KG and then resigned him and has kept Kevin Martin this long. Teams need to learn how to win, how to practice, how to train, ect and a team with no good NBA vet players on it and all young kids is really unlikely to be able to figure that out. It is what Hinkie has always failed to realize. His pathetic rosters will dramatically slow down the development of the little potential they do have.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers rebuilding plan should involve them dropping down to the D League. It's an embarrassment to the league the Tank Job they have been doing lately. If I was a 76ers season ticket holder I'd be pissed.

I would have given up my tickets after last offseason.

It is one thing to try and rebuild....what they have done is completely different. It really is an embarrassment to the league.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have given up my tickets after last offseason.

It is one thing to try and rebuild....what they have done is completely different. It really is an embarrassment to the league.

I agree w/ you.