• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is

Looking at it from a basketball/winning perspective...not exactly surprising.

In Cleveland you have a young, up and coming team that is a little more experience/maybe a roster tweak or 2 away from contending and a team with a 40 year old star, who while still very good, is no longer the guaranteed deep playoff run that he used to be and another top player who has 2 or 3 prime years left with a scary injury history.

With health, the right coach and the right roster tweaks, the Lakers could contend for a couple more years, then they're likely looking at a rebuild.

Meanwhile, with the right coach and maybe a couple of roster tweaks, the Cavs are looking at being contenders for the next 5-7 years if not longer.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from a basketball/winning perspective...not exactly surprising.

In Cleveland you have a young, up and coming team that is a little more experience/maybe a roster tweak or 2 away from contending and a team with a 40 year old star, who while still very good, is no longer the guaranteed deep playoff run that he used to be and another top player who has 2 or 3 prime years left with a scary injury history.

With health, the right coach and the right roster tweaks, the Lakers could contend for a couple more years, then they're likely looking at a rebuild.

Meanwhile, with the right coach and maybe a couple of roster tweaks, the Cavs are looking at being contenders for the next 5-7 years if not longer.
agree with all this but wouldn't rule out someone simply preferring to live in LA over Cleveland. Will say it's not the no brainer some might say it is. I've been to LA and I'd choose many cities to live over LA. Don't mean that as a knock on LA, either...just what I'd prefer and doubt I'm alone.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with all this but wouldn't rule out someone simply preferring to live in LA over Cleveland. Will say it's not the no brainer some might say it is. I've been to LA and I'd choose many cities to live over LA. Don't mean that as a knock on LA, either...just what I'd prefer and doubt I'm alone.

True, which is why I said from a basketball/winning perspective.

I think we'd all agree that these decisions aren't based solely on winning. It just depends on how much they weigh the other stuff. It's why virtually everyone is predicting that Lebron will re-sign with the Lakers even though he could go to at least another couple of teams and probably have a better shot at another title or 2. He'd likely have to take a pay cut to do it...which is one of the reasons folks think he stays in LA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, which is why I said from a basketball/winning perspective.

I think we'd all agree that these decisions aren't based solely on winning. It just depends on how much they weigh the other stuff. It's why virtually everyone is predicting that Lebron will re-sign with the Lakers even though he could go to at least another couple of teams and probably have a better shot at another title or 2. He'd likely have to take a pay cut to do it...which is one of the reasons folks think he stays in LA.
Yes......I have no doubt that is why Lebron went to LA last time. Likely just where he wanted to live. Like now if all he cared about was winning a better choice may have been to go to Philly.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya....and my point was I prefer a coach who can adjust his style based on his players and how they might fit/play together. Has there not been a coach who coached under Pop to run a faster pace when his situation called for it?

Hell, if I'm not mistaken, our most recent coach went from one of the slower paced teams to more middle of the pack, didn't he?
Idk but I am not talking about all coaches just one. I get what you are saying, coaches adjusting to players but coaches have a style of play they learn and know...more likely the players play to the system and/or the coach finds his best fit.
To be clear, I lean Atkinson now. Borrego's strengths are ball movement which is huge obviously but Atkinson is known to be very good at player development and I think it is a key for Mobley. The overall point was if Borrego was hired I would understand why bc his style is focused on slower pace and ball movement.

Here is a little breakdown for strengths and weaknesses. Both have their faults. Atkinson has more experience too.

Borrego:

Known for: Creativity on both ends of the floor; Offensive efficiency, and approach to ball movement and shot selection; ATOs; clutch time offense

Issues: Rotations, lack of postseason success, how much is his offensive system "his" system, player development

Atkinson:

Known for: Player development (Jarrett Allen; Joe Harris; Bojan Bogdanovic; and Brook Lopez, who developed his perimeter shot in Brooklyn); being the “guard whisperer” (Jeremy Lin, Caris LeVert, D’Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie); playing with pace, space and modern shot selection (labeled, “pace and space meets a Spurs-esque motion”)

Issues: Rigid rotations, in-game adjustments, star player relations, limited offensive structure

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk but I am not talking about all coaches just one. I get what you are saying, coaches adjusting to players but coaches have a style of play they learn and know...more likely the players play to the system and/or the coach finds his best fit.
To be clear, I lean Atkinson now. Borrego's strengths are ball movement which is huge obviously but Atkinson is known to be very good at player development and I think it is a key for Mobley. The overall point was if Borrego was hired I would understand why bc his style is focused on slower pace and ball movement.

Here is a little breakdown for strengths and weaknesses. Both have their faults. Atkinson has more experience too.

Borrego:

Known for: Creativity on both ends of the floor; Offensive efficiency, and approach to ball movement and shot selection; ATOs; clutch time offense

Issues: Rotations, lack of postseason success, how much is his offensive system "his" system, player development

Atkinson:

Known for: Player development (Jarrett Allen; Joe Harris; Bojan Bogdanovic; and Brook Lopez, who developed his perimeter shot in Brooklyn); being the “guard whisperer” (Jeremy Lin, Caris LeVert, D’Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie); playing with pace, space and modern shot selection (labeled, “pace and space meets a Spurs-esque motion”)

Issues: Rigid rotations, in-game adjustments, star player relations, limited offensive structure
Not sure how true this is but Windy has reported the Cavs are telling coaches Garland will be staying and that might appeal to Borrego and him to the Cavs as his offenses might play well with the 2 smaller guards. Did say an issue might be his defense and that would be a concern if true.

Clearly, there will be pluses and minuses with any choice they make and really no way to know if it works until we see it. I do like Borrego option more than I had to begin with but that isn't based on much.....and have always liked the idea of Atkinson.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how true this is but Windy has reported the Cavs are telling coaches Garland will be staying and that might appeal to Borrego and him to the Cavs as his offenses might play well with the 2 smaller guards. Did say an issue might be his defense and that would be a concern if true.

Clearly, there will be pluses and minuses with any choice they make and really no way to know if it works until we see it. I do like Borrego option more than I had to begin with but that isn't based on much.....and have always liked the idea of Atkinson.

Because they’re trading Mitchell lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they’re trading Mitchell lol
well played.......though should have mentioned in the report it alluded to Mitchell AND Garland being here.

again it's Windy so who knows if it's true.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well played.......though should have mentioned in the report it alluded to Mitchell AND Garland being here.

again it's Windy so who knows if it's true.

Had to….

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers take Redick over Borrego then the Lakers will be in James mode which means they will waste a draft pick on Brony and the fans will have to wait until James leaves to start over with a full blown rebuild.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert Arenas pod is a perfect example of why not everyone deserves a platform. The bad takes/lies I come across on there via twitter daily is sad. Here are another couple

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert Arenas pod is a perfect example of why not everyone deserves a platform. The bad takes/lies I come across on there via twitter daily is sad. Here are another couple

On the flip side, it does let you know just how stupid many of the players actually are

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Icon/Logo is gone!

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 damn years...

One of the happiest evenings of my life.