• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, when it comes to playing with/through an injury, it's not fair to compare anyone to Kobe. Kobe was a maniac and played many games when he had no business being out there.

The Lakers former trainer actually had to "invent" a couple of different splints so Kobe could play. lol
don't even mind the comparisons....but to make Allen the anti Kobe seems absurd considering so many others have missed games this season and previous in playoffs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought Kobe into this to make a point.

You don’t have to be a great player to be a super competitor who is going to play through injury whenever possible. Kobe was just the best known example.

My point was that guys who don’t play through these types of injuries it speaks to their personalities.
Just allen or the many others who sit out?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see game 7......I also saw games 1-6 where he did not play. Many have said Allen cannot lift his arms and has had trouble breathing. I guess neither important for playing basketball?

Not built for the playoffs yet before the unfortunate injury he was arguably the best player on the court for either team, played Embiid as well as most when he was a rookie, and dominated Robinson in games 1 and 2 last season?

and what about Haliburton, Giannis, Jimmy, etc?
Not talking about numbers. Talking about mentality wise. Also OG played games 1 and 2 and once again none of the players you listed injuries are a pain tolerance thing. Time for you to do the thing where you act retarded. That is my sign to leave this thread

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the big thing on Allen is that a rib is a pain management injury. Allen didn’t even take the shot or give it a go competing in the playoffs. I think that’s the stuff that gets him criticism.
I think most are missing the point.

Lots of players can play through injuries but depending on the injury and the severity…will they still be a positive on the court during the injury? If they are a negative and limited there is no point. We have no clue how serious but by the description he would be a negative.

This is different for star players bc their impact is far greater. You play if you can and cleared. Kobe, Bron, MJ, Luka…blah blah blah those guys are playing no matter what

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So rumors he “gave it a shot” are viable but rumors that he was cleared for play are not.

These guys don’t have pain management injuries. It’s a different ball park.

Possible that some rib breaks can threaten a punctured lung but that’s rare and would have to be full break and detachment of the bone. That’s not the way most broken ribs occur. For something like this, you’d need to fall multiple stories or get hit by a car. This is why most broken ribs don’t come with the threat of the punctured lung. If the rib is broken that badly some sort of trauma took place that likely killed the person.
we could see video of him at shoot arounds. as I said have not even seen a rumor - fake or not - that he was cleared. If you have one - and not saying you don't - feel free to share.

as anyone could tell you a broken rib hurts worse than most injuries one can incur. could he have gone? Maybe. No idea. But doesn't seem like he should be the anti Kobe poster child when many players have missed a ton of time in the postseason.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And even if the Clippers were willing to "trade" Lue to the Lakers, considering how they disrespected him when they had a chance to get him, I doubt he'd be interested.

Now that I think about it, Brown might be interested since this wasn't the regime that cut him loose last time.
Lue is my first choice but yeah....I agree.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of players can play through injuries but depending on the injury and the severity…will they still be a positive on the court during the injury? If they are a negative and limited there is no point. We have no clue how serious but by the description he would be a negative.

This is different for star players bc their impact is far greater. You play if you can and cleared. Kobe, Bron, MJ, Luka…blah blah blah those guys are playing no matter what
Different players respond in different ways.

I’m only in this discussion because somebody said Marcus Morris wouldn’t play with the same injury. I felt compelled to say “the fuck he wouldn’t!” because that’s not who that guy has been his whole career. A couple times this year he played on a swollen knee for the Sixers because they had guys out in December. Marcus Morris is taking the shot and he’s doing everything he can to get on that court. He’s gonna make his coach pull him for poor play. He’s going to be on that floor.

It’s not a big deal that Allen isn’t that guy. But Marcus Morris is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly agree, but didn't Luka miss a few games in a Utah series a while back?

as has been reported and IF true (since I don't claim to know I wont treat it as gospel like many do) the guy could was having trouble breathing and lifting his arms which could make it tough to play the post in the NBA.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could see video of him at shoot arounds. as I said have not even seen a rumor - fake or not - that he was cleared. If you have one - and not saying you don't - feel free to share.
as anyone could tell you a broken rib hurts worse than most injuries one can incur. could he have gone? Maybe. No idea. But doesn't seem like he should be the anti Kobe poster child when many players have missed a ton of time in the postseason.
Agreed. Some pro athletes are tougher than others. Allen isn’t that guy. It’s his body. He has the right to not put himself on the line like that if he doesn’t want to play through discomfort.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't even mind the comparisons....but to make Allen the anti Kobe seems absurd considering so many others have missed games this season and previous in playoffs.

Yeah, I don't really like to criticize players for missing games due to injury. There are too many different factors to consider.

One of the biggest factors is if trying to play with the injury will hurt the team. While I loved Kobe's toughness and willingness to do whatever he could to play, I saw several games where his trying to play through it actually hurt the team.

Maybe he "could have played" but determined that it would hamper him to the point that it would be detrimental to the team winning?

If that's what happened, not playing was the right decision, imo.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not playing this game with you.

Find somebody else.
it's no game...genuinely curious why you think he's the choice and if there was more to it than a list that included Borego.

But I get this might be past your pay grade.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different players respond in different ways.

I’m only in this discussion because somebody said Marcus Morris wouldn’t play with the same injury. I felt compelled to say “the fuck he wouldn’t!” because that’s not who that guy has been his whole career. A couple times this year he played on a swollen knee for the Sixers because they had guys out in December. Marcus Morris is taking the shot and he’s doing everything he can to get on that court. He’s gonna make his coach pull him for poor play. He’s going to be on that floor.

It’s not a big deal that Allen isn’t that guy. But Marcus Morris is.
First, I never said Morris would not play....only thought it was comical for him to say "I have no idea how hurt he was" but, sure, he knows he'd have played. Couple that with his own bro missing 4 months with whiplash. don;t recall him questioning his toughness....he only whined about Jokic. I'm sure if Jokic is a teammate and it's another player Morris would rip the guy for not playing.

I can agree Morris is that guy who will do what he can to play now since it seems no coach who has him lately wants him to play.

I guess if only Allen, Halliburton, Giannis, OG, zion, Butler, Rozier, etc could be fake tough guys like Morris.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Some pro athletes are tougher than others. Allen, Giannis, Haliburton, Butler, Rozier, Zion, PG, Kawhi, Mitchell, etc are not that guy. It’s their bodies. They have the right to not put themselves on the line like that if they don't want to play through discomfort. If only they were as tough as fake tough guy Morris who would allegedly give it a go even though his coach likely didn't want to see him on the court.
FIFY