• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope you would get it from your own comments, but not to be.

Yes, you were making "regular wages". 7 mil is not regular wages. But triple down on this and look more foolish not understanding if you want.
7 M as an NFL QB is less than regular wages in comparison to us. Regular QB money is 16 M we all agreed to this. He's not getting 16 M because he's choosing to sit. Comprende?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only better job is a starting job. Read Fitz's response to taking the Miami job...only 32 of them. It's a privilege...
Now you want to compare the thought process of a career backup in his mid-30s to a guy in his mid-20s? Fitz knows he is a bridge there at best. as far as he's concerned, there are 64 of these jobs.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are getting there a little. Took away coward. Now if only I could get you to see the other side of this.

You only assume he wins the Dolphin job. How often do teams bring in a vet then take a rookie high and not play the rookie? Even if the vet plays well?
He's 26 I believe that they were willing to give him the shot at taking over. Fitz is a completely different story he's 36 so he's definitely on thin ice hence why his offer was most likely less than half of what Bridgewater was offered... that's what you are missing...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 M as an NFL QB is less than regular wages in comparison to us. Regular QB money is 16 M we all agreed to this. He's not getting 16 M because he's choosing to sit. Comprende?
That's the point...he's not us. He should be set for life unless he's a dufus or someone robs him of his income.

Guessing when you "took a chance" you were not already set for life?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...Browns tried to do this for a long time. Kept winning 3-6 games and never got the right guys in the draft (the stud QB). Finally got a GM/FO who was willing to do what was needed and they found their QB and made a huge turn for the better.
The key is the QB agreed but you don't have to tank to get one. After all of those early picks it took the browns how many to finally get one? It's still a crapshoot...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 26 I believe that they were willing to give him the shot at taking over. Fitz is a completely different story he's 36 so he's definitely on thin ice hence why his offer was most likely less than half of what Bridgewater was offered... that's what you are missing...
I'm not missing anything. sure, he'll get a better shot than Fitz but no lock if they take a QB high. You think they'd take a QB high in round 1 just for fun?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is the QB agreed but you don't have to tank to get one. After all of those early picks it took the browns how many to finally get one? It's still a crapshoot...
But other than the Wentz year, they never had one early enough to take the RIGHT QB because they didn't tank. An extra loss or 2 and they could have had Andrew Luck. Good think they beat Jville that year though, right? Big win.

2016 and 2017 they took no chances.

And looks like they made the right choice passing on Wentz.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, yes, it is like they tanked only the past 2 seasons (or 2 before the past one).

In the past, the Browns FO used their cap space on washed up, expensive vets like Donte whitner.

This FO had 3 goals to start their climb in 2018 and compete in 2019 (and they had said this).......dump all the overpaid, aging vets, clear as much cap space as possible and add as many high picks in the draft as they could.

check, check, and check.
I can agree with that as why keep order expensive players so I can see more of a tank using that angle...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point...he's not us. He should be set for life unless he's a dufus or someone robs him of his income.

Guessing when you "took a chance" you were not already set for life?
Most of us want to make as much money as possible before we retire firemen, plumbers, QB's, etc...its all relative. Now if he's settling for backup wages compared to potential starting money or a large Foles opportunity then he has issues or no motivation to do better. Sure 7 M is huge for us but an NFL QB's goals are normally higher...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not missing anything. sure, he'll get a better shot than Fitz but no lock if they take a QB high. You think they'd take a QB high in round 1 just for fun?
The reports I'm hearing is that they won't move up to get one of the top two QB's. If one falls yes but highly unlikely. They want to fix the lines first this is why Fitz chose them he feels good about starting this year. If they do take a QB they may also sit him and learn... Bridgewater being 26 I think they give him a year to show himself for sure I know I would as he could still be the guy and you can build around him. We'll never know as he walked...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But other than the Wentz year, they never had one early enough to take the RIGHT QB because they didn't tank. An extra loss or 2 and they could have had Andrew Luck. Good think they beat Jville that year though, right? Big win.

Right. The last time before Baker the Browns had a top 20 pick and they took a QB was Tim Couch in 1999. 20 years ago.

Other QB's they drafted in the 1st:

2007 - Brady Quinn at 22
2012 - Brandon Weeden at 22
2014 - Johnny Manziel at 22

They never really had the opportunity. When QB's went early the Browns had picks after those franchise-type of QB's, obviously a few exceptions and good picks by other teams on later 1st round picks but we are talking about Luck type of players.

The main opportunity to take one was in 2017 but Garrett was easily the #1 guy OTB. They could choose from Trubisky or Mahomes but no clear cut best QB. Browns made the right choice there.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or a guy like Rogers could have fell to them when they had those 22 picks year after year.... Its a crapshoot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a guy like Rogers could have fell to them when they had those 22 picks year after year.... Its a crapshoot.
Right, but getting that guy is all about luck. To get YOUR QB you need to pick at the top of the draft and be able to take the guy they want.

You know.....like they did.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us want to make as much money as possible before we retire firemen, plumbers, QB's, etc...its all relative. Now if he's settling for backup wages compared to potential starting money or a large Foles opportunity then he has issues or no motivation to do better. Sure 7 M is huge for us but an NFL QB's goals are normally higher...
Firman, plumbers, QBs?

come on.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reports I'm hearing is that they won't move up to get one of the top two QB's. If one falls yes but highly unlikely. They want to fix the lines first this is why Fitz chose them he feels good about starting this year. If they do take a QB they may also sit him and learn... Bridgewater being 26 I think they give him a year to show himself for sure I know I would as he could still be the guy and you can build around him. We'll never know as he walked...
No one wants to "fix the lines first" They want to get their QB. If he's not there, sure, then fix the line.

LeCharles once said if you want to fix the line get a QB who makes quick decisions. It was not an accident that the Browns went from having a below avg. line to maybe the best in the second half when Kitchens took over the offense.

Baker was hit 9 times the last 8 games. Bot sacked, but just hit. Next closest had 28. same O-line some said was a disaster the first half.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results

That tweet is misleading. That's not a list of fully guaranteed salaries, it's a list of the guaranteed portions of newly signed players. Very few players have fully guaranteed contracts. IMO, a more informative post would compare new contract totals vs new contract guaranteed (or at least a percentage guaranteed with the total). Otherwise, all that shows is that the teams with most cap space used it. Not exactly earth-shattering.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tweet is misleading. That's not a list of fully guaranteed salaries, it's a list of the guaranteed portions of newly signed players. Very few players have fully guaranteed contracts. IMO, a more informative post would compare new contract totals vs new contract guaranteed (or at least a percentage guaranteed with the total). Otherwise, all that shows is that the teams with most cap space used it. Not exactly earth-shattering.
That's how I read it so not sure why it's misleading. Was it earth shattering? no.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only better job is a starting job. Read Fitz's response to taking the Miami job...only 32 of them. It's a privilege...
Yeah, he's also a decade older than Bridgewater. He is almost out of time. Not exactly a fair comparison.