• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the odds of it happening again anytime soon....especially to a guy who most already view as a good backup due to his injured past. It can happen sure but......I'm not going to sit on a bench and wait for it to happen to him that's for sure.
He wouldn't need to come in and win a Super Bowl. If he came in and played for a few games in October/November, it'd be enough for someone to give him a contract at season's end. Teams are starved for QBs anymore. Rather than bust down in Miami, he can play a few games in NO and cash in next spring.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does he mean about finally learned weren't they last for a decade or so? They more than tanked it happened for years....

They didn't tank on purpose. The Browns FO were horribly run with an owner who is more clueless then Dan Synder.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wouldn't need to come in and win a Super Bowl. If he came in and played for a few games in October/November, it'd be enough for someone to give him a contract at season's end. Teams are starved for QBs anymore. Rather than bust down in Miami, he can play a few games in NO and cash in next spring.
but he did play one game last year in NO and looked like shit. the kid needs to play he's no Foles who can come in and turn it on...after another year of sitting I'm afraid he will be done for.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't tank on purpose. The Browns FO were horribly run with an owner who is more clueless then Dan Synder.
Exactly but he made it sound after years of losing they finally learned how to lose better....haha!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly but he made it sound after years of losing they finally learned how to lose better....haha!

In fairness rock bottom is going winless. 7 wins is still a losing season but trending in a much better direction.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness rock bottom is going winless. 7 wins is still a losing season but trending in a much better direction.
Sorry I was referring to the past ten seasons of losing. Its not like they tanked only the past two seasons this has been a brutal stretch for the browns. Finally last season they are seeing some results but you are right GM was a lot better. I just hope the Fins don't take that long it's been bad enough being on the verge..

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch it, he doesn't like it when you put Foles and Bridgewater in the same sentence.....LOL.
Because they aren't in the same stratosphere tell me why they should be. Should be interesting...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I was referring to the past ten seasons of losing. Its not like they tanked only the past two seasons this has been a brutal stretch for the browns. Finally last season they are seeing some results but you are right GM was a lot better. I just hope the Fins don't take that long it's been bad enough being on the verge..

Ahh got it!
Redoing the FO and getting a GM with smarts and vision, yes the Dolphins can rebound in a couple of years. First things first, need that QoF in this draft or next years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he did play one game last year in NO and looked like shit. the kid needs to play he's no Foles who can come in and turn it on...after another year of sitting I'm afraid he will be done for.
Kind of hard to gauge what a guy can do when he's playing on the last day of the year when New Orleans had already sewed up a playoff spot and weren't playing for anything. I'm sure he'll get mop-up duty, and next spring he'll get a better job than Miami, just like he did this spring.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed my point I was saying money is relative. He's accepted 7-12 M which is fine but if he raised his own value like Foles he could parlay that into 80-100 M. Sitting on the bench won't do that hence why I believe he made a huge mistake. Foles was damn lucky to have Wentz get injured twice in consecutive years. I was making regular wages and quadrupled it by taking over a business there was some risk but it paid off in spades...yet sitting on the sidelines no matter the job seems to be your best solution to do yourself better. Good luck with that....
I would hope you would get it from your own comments, but not to be.

Yes, you were making "regular wages". 7 mil is not regular wages. But triple down on this and look more foolish not understanding if you want.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an analogy but same principal. I took over a business he could have taken over a starting QB job. Both could be parlayed into financial reward. If I hesitated I would have lost the opportunity no different than Bridgewater. I believe his only hope now is if Brees goes down next year and he pulls a Foles...we'll see and discuss I'm not going anywhere.
Taking over a business and being the boss is the same as getting a chance to be a starting QB with many bosses (coaches, FO)?

Wow.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I'll take coward back but I honestly believe he must be concerned about his injury or comfortable which isn't right either. I prefer players who are hungry and want to prove themselves. Those guys usually come through too...
You are getting there a little. Took away coward. Now if only I could get you to see the other side of this.

You only assume he wins the Dolphin job. How often do teams bring in a vet then take a rookie high and not play the rookie? Even if the vet plays well?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that it would be better but its not in my DNA. I'd rather see the young guys progress do better and pay more to move up to get a player that is needed. I think that there's more benefit to your young guys having success along the way than sucking shit and tanking. But of course if you don't keep getting better than it's all for naught...
Yeah...Browns tried to do this for a long time. Kept winning 3-6 games and never got the right guys in the draft (the stud QB). Finally got a GM/FO who was willing to do what was needed and they found their QB and made a huge turn for the better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns finally got themselves a good GM and Baker looks to be a solid pick. Nice to see the Browns becoming competitive again.
don't want to open this can of worms, but don't sell the previous FO (Sashi, Paul D and Andrew Berry) short. without selling their plan to Haslem, things are not in place to where Dorsey jumps at the opportunity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, sorry, they did tank on purpose. Even told this horrible owner the plan and luckily he bought in. You think telling Haslem "things will get very bad before they get better" and "you might not want to attend games for a couple years" were not signs of tanking?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they did. They never tanked. They did what most teams do (like yours). Overpaid aging vets to win an extra 2-4 games when bottoming out was the way to go.

And here's a flash.......it worked.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, yes, it is like they tanked only the past 2 seasons (or 2 before the past one).

In the past, the Browns FO used their cap space on washed up, expensive vets like Donte whitner.

This FO had 3 goals to start their climb in 2018 and compete in 2019 (and they had said this).......dump all the overpaid, aging vets, clear as much cap space as possible and add as many high picks in the draft as they could.

check, check, and check.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hard to gauge what a guy can do when he's playing on the last day of the year when New Orleans had already sewed up a playoff spot and weren't playing for anything. I'm sure he'll get mop-up duty, and next spring he'll get a better job than Miami, just like he did this spring.
The only better job is a starting job. Read Fitz's response to taking the Miami job...only 32 of them. It's a privilege...