• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 18 Hole Commitment

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

a full 18 holes of golf often takes more than 5 hrs to play with an hour drive to and from the course....that's a fucking long day.

I remember seeing someone talking about breaking golf courses into 6 hole thirds (might have been Paige Spiranac) and I thought that was an interesting idea.

what do you think?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USGA has adjusted their handicapping rules to allow for and account for 9-hole rounds. This in general is a major win for golf among the masses.

The average American doesn't have the time to commit to a 5+ hour trek around a public course. Love to see it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USGA has adjusted their handicapping rules to allow for and account for 9-hole rounds. This in general is a major win for golf among the masses.

The average American doesn't have the time to commit to a 5+ hour trek around a public course. Love to see it.
I agree, but I also don't really care about my handicap all too much.

I like to play, mostly casual...but paying for 18 holes when I only want/have time for 12 can be silly.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know a lot of people that will only play 9 holes. i don't blame them. on a busy weekend, you have to commit several hours of your day to play 18.

on the other hand, i know guys that will play 72 holes every weekend. they just spend their entire weekend at their club.

when i play, i almost always play 18, or at least close to it. sometimes i'll leave after 15 holes or so if it's just taken up too much of my day or i have somewhere else to be.

each to their own i suppose

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know a lot of people that will only play 9 holes. i don't blame them. on a busy weekend, you have to commit several hours of your day to play 18.

on the other hand, i know guys that will play 72 holes every weekend. they just spend their entire weekend at their club.

when i play, i almost always play 18, or at least close to it. sometimes i'll leave after 15 holes or so if it's just taken up too much of my day or i have somewhere else to be.

each to their own i suppose
I agree, I do too

but if you are trying to grow the game, what's the best way to do that? Do you make changes for the ADHD generation or do you just keep it the same and hope they get used to it?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I do too

but if you are trying to grow the game, what's the best way to do that? Do you make changes for the ADHD generation or do you just keep it the same and hope they get used to it?
ADHD generation? GTFO.

Millennials have full time jobs and kids. That means you're teeing off after 4pm at the earliest (and there's no way you're getting a full loop in on a public course before dark) or you're driving 30+ min to and from a course on Saturday or Sunday to slog through a crowded 5.5 hour round. No beginner is going to deal with that.

Meanwhile TopGolf is just absolutely printing money hand over fist. One-two hours of approachable fun for people of all abilities.

I played down at Pinehurst last week and while #2 and #4 were awesome, I had WAY more fun walking barefoot around The Cradle with a marg in hand with my buddies.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play 18s and never take longer than 4hrs even when it's busy so these 5 1/2 hr rounds seems like a bit of an exaggeration or at least the very longest time possible but anyway, fuck this growing the game idea. The game is large enough, esp after covid swelled the numbers. More kids would play if they were allowed to dress like slobs, more kids would play if they could play music while they played, more kids would play if their immature little minds weren't taxed with something that takes more than their attention span can handle. I read this kind of shit all the time.

Fuck 'em. Shut out the world and go play 18 holes. Try giving something your undivided attention for once.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play 18s and never take longer than 4hrs even when it's busy so these 5 1/2 hr rounds seems like a bit of an exaggeration or at least the very longest time possible but anyway, fuck this growing the game idea. The game is large enough, esp after covid swelled the numbers. More kids would play if they were allowed to dress like slobs, more kids would play if they could play music while they played, more kids would play if their immature little minds weren't taxed with something that takes more than their attention span can handle. I read this kind of shit all the time.

Fuck 'em. Shut out the world and go play 18 holes. Try giving something your undivided attention for once.
Ummm.... You can dress pretty much however you want to at a lot of courses, and you can play music on even more. We always bring a speaker.

It's obvious you are a member of club (those comments plus golfing in 4). That's not how it is in the real world.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, guilty as charged. I'm not thrilled with tossing traditions just for the sake of it and having consideration for others should be a societal expectation but it's not anymore.

You're bothering others with your music but it's just old stuffed shirts like me so who cares?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, guilty as charged. I'm not thrilled with tossing traditions just for the sake of it and having consideration for others should be a societal expectation but it's not anymore.

You're bothering others with your music but it's just old stuffed shirts like me so who cares?
I certainly don't care if it bothers you

Reactions: ill

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only assholes play music on the golf course where other groups besides their own can hear it.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that there's no such thing as playing music that others won't hear but that's not a problem for the selfish people who do it.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hear other people talking. They can hear my music

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if you aren't playing music on the course, you're really missing out.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm.... You can dress pretty much however you want to at a lot of courses, and you can play music on even more. We always bring a speaker.

It's obvious you are a member of club (those comments plus golfing in 4). That's not how it is in the real world.

Ouch. You and I might have a problem on the course. That's what ear buds are for. I couldn't care less what anyone wears out there, but why should others have to listen to your music while they play golf?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch. You and I might have a problem on the course. That's what ear buds are for. I couldn't care less what anyone wears out there, but why should others have to listen to your music while they play golf?
If you're not playing in the same group, you're not listening to my music any more than you're hearing other people yell or cars drive by.

You're not in the PGA. It's a game

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of only playing 9? and IF you are driving an hour out of your way to play then that's a complete waste of your time to only do 9

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of only playing 9? and IF you are driving an hour out of your way to play then that's a complete waste of your time to only do 9
Time.

You don't always have 3-5 hours to kill

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not playing in the same group, you're not listening to my music any more than you're hearing other people yell or cars drive by.

You're not in the PGA. It's a game

I'll chalk it up to you're young. I used to think that way too.. just blast it and dgaf who likes it or not. It's just rude, though.