• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

......... Thank You, Major

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You, Major. for bringing back the forward pass to the Longhorns offense..

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a special year for Texas. Expect them to be in the top10 real soon.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You, Major. for bringing back the forward pass to the Longhorns offense..
-
Its still a little early. Keep in mind the first half was pretty ugly with 4 turnovers. I am little concerned about the inside zone, which is an important play in the spread. I am not sure Texas has the OL to run it effectively. Texas has a solid OL, but one that is based on speed and athleticism. They are great in pass protection, pulling, and the second level (I expect Texas to kill it in the screen game). Not so great on moving DL off the LOS. One other consideration from that game. Texas defense played over 20 minutes in the first half. Slow starts can be a major issue in the Big 12. That is a lot to ask from a defense. That is almost a full game for Bama's defense.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in preseason, my opinion is that if Mack will stay out of Major's way, good things will happen. During the game, Major was on the sideline with the players, coaching his arse off. Mack just standing by...

As I sat in the heat, with the team somewhat stalled, just wondered if Mack was forcing Major to do what he wanted, butting heads against a defense that was stacked in the box. Finally, it seemed that the calling was opened up. That tipped ball interception was just one of those things- if it had not been tipped, Daje would have taken it to the house, as he did several series later.

Also, if you have LHN, they showed Des Harrison, wow! First play, he drove his tackle ten yards down the field, bench pressed him off his feet onto his back, then jumped into the air and pumped his fist... Next play, on a pass, immediately threw the guy onto his back. Bam. That kid is going to help tremendously.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad to see Harsin's BSU's trick play offense is gone. Triple reverse pass plays may work in a weak as shit conference like the MWC, but not in a big boy conference. I, too, am a little concerned about the O-line when it comes to straight up run blocking. They didn't exactly dominate NMSU's d-line, the way they should of. I think it will definitely get better, but I'm eager to see how Major's offense does against a team with a pulse. Tell you one thing though, DAJE JOHNSON IS A FUCKING STUD!!!!!

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I do love the way our WR's are blocking downfield. Very impressive.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad to see Harsin's BSU's trick play offense is gone. Triple reverse pass plays may work in a weak as shit conference like the MWC, but not in a big boy conference. I, too, am a little concerned about the O-line when it comes to straight up run blocking. They didn't exactly dominate NMSU's d-line, the way they should of. I think it will definitely get better, but I'm eager to see how Major's offense does against a team with a pulse. Tell you one thing though, DAJE JOHNSON IS A FUCKING STUD!!!!!
-
It will get tested this week. BYU is not a great team. Actually quit bad on the offensive side of the ball, but their defense is legit. Was top 10 last yr and stuffed Virginia last week. Basically all of Virginia's pts came from BYU gaffes. If Texas puts up a big number, it will be time to get excited.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run game is going nowhere until we start Harrison and Perkins on the OL. THEN we may see some push in that area.

I think Ash is smart enough to take what the D gives him. If they stack the box and go man on our WRs he'll take that all day. NOBODY can cover Daje in the slot, and even Davis should beat man coverage. John Harris has been killing everybody in practice since that game.......its like he's a new man. His routes are so crisp and he catches with his hands. Now if only we could find a good TE......

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run game is going nowhere until we start Harrison and Perkins on the OL. THEN we may see some push in that area.

I think Ash is smart enough to take what the D gives him. If they stack the box and go man on our WRs he'll take that all day. NOBODY can cover Daje in the slot, and even Davis should beat man coverage. John Harris has been killing everybody in practice since that game.......its like he's a new man. His routes are so crisp and he catches with his hands. Now if only we could find a good TE......

Am concerned about run blocking and no TE presence. People are going to load up in the box on us all year and try to make Ash beat them. We need quick middle routes and a play action pass catching TE. I almost think we should put in MacFarland regardless of his practices. See if he can produce during the game.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in relation to the thread - Yes, thank you Major.

Was a little tired of seeing 7/10 plays be a wide receiver screen pass (Davis); and triple option and reverses time after time (Harsin).

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am concerned about run blocking and no TE presence. People are going to load up in the box on us all year and try to make Ash beat them. We need quick middle routes and a play action pass catching TE. I almost think we should put in MacFarland regardless of his practices. See if he can produce during the game.

I think our run blocking will be fine once we move Espy to the bench. That means starting Harrison and Perkins. If we have Hawkins and Harrison on the left side with Hopkins at C I think we can move the ball on the ground. Our TEs can block......but apparently none of them can run a route or catch. Well I take that back, Swaim can......he just doesn't seem to know the offense according to practice reports.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Truth

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our run blocking will be fine once we move Espy to the bench. That means starting Harrison and Perkins. If we have Hawkins and Harrison on the left side with Hopkins at C I think we can move the ball on the ground. Our TEs can block......but apparently none of them can run a route or catch. Well I take that back, Swaim can......he just doesn't seem to know the offense according to practice reports.

...block downfield like a crazy man. Did anyone see the play: one play downfield, here comes Swaim like a missile, out of nowhere, just destroyed this defender. Of course, Swaim then had to sit down a play, while they checked his head, but he was okay.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, John Harris can be a stud. If he stays healthy, he can dominate a defender.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also one thing of note, did anybody notice our LB's still can't cover the flats? I think NMSU's TE had like 9 catches for 80 yds from 5 yard outs all night. Diaz's scheme sux when it comes to covering the flats....

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if only we could find a good TE......

Like the beat, Jermichael Finley? Why, so we can not even target him in the 2nd-half even though he had a monster 1st-half, ala RRSO 2007?

#neverforget

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the beat, Jermichael Finley? Why, so we can not even target him in the 2nd-half even though he had a monster 1st-half, ala RRSO 2007?

#neverforget

3 words for you: Greg "Corky" Davis......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also one thing of note, did anybody notice our LB's still can't cover the flats? I think NMSU's TE had like 9 catches for 80 yds from 5 yard outs all night. Diaz's scheme sux when it comes to covering the flats....

That's an awareness thing. Hard read for a LB. TE fakes the block and peels to the flat. LB checks TE and then looks for the next recieving threat. Other play was bring the TE through the mess across the line. It is can be fixed,but if you are going to give up some receptions the flat is a great place. Not to mention it is not a dangerous threat

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 words for you: Greg "Corky" Davis......

I actually point to the 2007 as the rare time I enjoyed Longhorn gamecalling. I really liked watching that game and thought Davis actually did a great job of calling that game... except for the EXCEPTIONALLY STUPID decision not to target the best player on the team, Finley, ESPECIALLY after Finley had such a great first half.

I never enjoyed watching the Horns in that era, even in victories except of course all the late 4th quarter brilliance of McCoy, winning games in brilliant fashion that should have never been in question in the first place.