• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Game Awards is somehow worse than the other major awards shows

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, there were so many issues with this year's game awards. The most obvious of which is that it felt too corporate. Categories for Best Game of ___ were sponsored. Teaser trailers were shown of games that were already known which at some point are just commercials. You even had Metroid Dread win an award and on the stage the developer was trying to sell you on the game. The show lasted 3.5 hours and half of the categories were barely mentioned but they made time to have Imagine Dragons give a full stage performance for some reason.

Another beef I have is that Kena Bridge of Spirits won Best New Indie Game and Best Indie Game. Kena Bridge of Spirits is a beautiful game but its also entirely derivative. Its gameplay is basically copied from other games and it looks just like a Disney movie. And thats just what the industry wants - they want to be just like the movie industry. That sums up the whole awards process as a whole. They want to be something different than what they are.

One nitpick I have is It Takes Two winning Best Family Game. Thats like A Marriage Story winning Best Family Movie. But regardless it winning Best Game is probably not bad although I havent played it yet.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way is that gamers get to vote on Game of the Year but its only worth 10% of the vote. Gamers, based on the poll i saw, overwhelmingly voted for Resident Evil Village and it didnt win. So....whats the point?

Its really hard to see this event as legitimate.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there really any awards shows that are legit?