• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas recruiting is not going well under Charlie Strong.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know that, but it seems like a lot of programs open up a magazine and see who everyone else is going for and go after those guys whether they really are a good fit or not, just so they can say they made a big splash recruiting.

And, that's why I said it this way......
""Getting a good fit for your team and Great Coaching of 3* kids beats Poor Coaching and 5* kids most every time.""

Some recruits top out in HS, especially if they have a good strength and conditioning program. Those recruits are expected, by some, to continue to improve and sometimes they don't.
Mack was known to run a 'soft' program, that won't be the situation with Strong. What's kind of funny about the current recruiting class is that the overall number is about the same as past classes at this time, except in star status.
Strong is going to turn off some recruits, just by requiring them to stay on-campus, which I believe will build a team ethic in the long run.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some recruits top out in HS, especially if they have a good strength and conditioning program. Those recruits are expected, by some, to continue to improve and sometimes they don't.
Mack was known to run a 'soft' program, that won't be the situation with Strong. What's kind of funny about the current recruiting class is that the overall number is about the same as past classes at this time, except in star status.
Strong is going to turn off some recruits, just by requiring them to stay on-campus, which I believe will build a team ethic in the long run.
If he continues this...and isn't run off by the alumni...he could be very successful. Going to be interesting in how the alumni (and I mean the guys to give major 5-6 figure donations) will take to him and his "hard" program.

See Craig James and his boy...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he continues this...and isn't run off by the alumni...he could be very successful. Going to be interesting in how the alumni (and I mean the guys to give major 5-6 figure donations) will take to him and his "hard" program.

See Craig James and his boy...

Duh. Strong is a coach and James is a talking head. I haven't heard/read any negativity from alumni and I'm one.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh. Strong is a coach and James is a talking head. I haven't heard/read any negativity from alumni and I'm one.
OK...read the post...I was talking about the alumni and Strong. I believe that there were many disappointed alumni when he was announced.

You haven't heard/read any negativity because there hasn't been anything done yet.

Your optimistic outlook to CS and the program is commended and assumed by all loyal fans of a program and a new coach. We'll see how the season plays out.

I think SOME of the alumni will have a very short leash for CS.

And I'm not trying to be negative so chill a bit.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know that, but it seems like a lot of programs open up a magazine and see who everyone else is going for and go after those guys whether they really are a good fit or not, just so they can say they made a big splash recruiting.

And, that's why I said it this way......
""Getting a good fit for your team and Great Coaching of 3* kids beats Poor Coaching and 5* kids most every time.""

Where I really agree with your thoughts on the 3-4 star guys. 5 star guys generally do very well, biggest issue with them is the heads. Get passing grades and avoid the police and it is rare they are complete wastes. 1 thing I have noticed with Strong is he is avoiding some of the Mack crack. Mack loved the 4 star kid that was very productive at powerhouse programs. The low ceiling, high floor kids that had great coaching. Strong seems to go for the 3/4 kid that is raw and perhaps positionally ambiguous. It is a big difference and one I think reflects the confidence of Strong in his and his staff's ability to develop.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...read the post...I was talking about the alumni and Strong. I believe that there were many disappointed alumni when he was announced.

You haven't heard/read any negativity because there hasn't been anything done yet.

Your optimistic outlook to CS and the program is commended and assumed by all loyal fans of a program and a new coach. We'll see how the season plays out.

I think SOME of the alumni will have a very short leash for CS.

And I'm not trying to be negative so chill a bit.

:laugh3:Negativity towards Texas is just about all you're done since you've gotten onto Hoops. Chill?:wtf2: You're very odd.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:Negativity towards Texas is just about all you're done since you've gotten onto Hoops. Chill?:wtf2: You're very odd.
OK...you made it personal, but I'm not biting. I'm trying to have a serious conversation with the Texas guys.

Do I tend to be negative towards Texas...do you see my favorite teams? Duh...but I also try to post serious and give Texas their due.

Back to the post. It will be interesting to see how long CS has with some of the Texas alum.:L

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope Strong has success.
I'm a firm believer that any great program must have another great program as their nemesis.
If you don't have another program pushing you to get better all the time I think you fall off some. Just my opinion.

If Strong fails at Texas then Oklahoma won't be as good as we could be. I don't think it's any coincidence that since Texas has struggled the past few years that Oklahoma hasn't been the strongest of teams either.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...you made it personal, but I'm not biting. I'm trying to have a serious conversation with the Texas guys.

Do I tend to be negative towards Texas...do you see my favorite teams? Duh...but I also try to post serious and give Texas their due.

Back to the post. It will be interesting to see how long CS has with some of the Texas alum.:L

I think Strong does have some walls to breakdown. Mack was more politician than coach. He purveyed the program and kissed babies. He gave boosters unprecedented access to the program. It was needed at the time he was hired, because the school had been fractured since DKR left. Now you have Charlie and he is the polar opposite. Good man and from all I heard very personable one on one, but he is a coach. Similar to Saban. He is going to focus on the players and his team. Not going to have a weekly call with a powerful booster like Mack. That will strain some relationships. Why I believe if Charlie succeeds it will be in a big way, because he will be judged strictly on performance. If not he will be out in 3-4 years.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wtf2: is wrong with you? I made it personal? You are being 'serious'? You should stop hitting your head against immoveable objects, even though it feels better when you stop.:laugh3:

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strong does have some walls to breakdown. Mack was more politician than coach. He purveyed the program and kissed babies. He gave boosters unprecedented access to the program. It was needed at the time he was hired, because the school had been fractured since DKR left. Now you have Charlie and he is the polar opposite. Good man and from all I heard very personable one on one, but he is a coach. Similar to Saban. He is going to focus on the players and his team. Not going to have a weekly call with a powerful booster like Mack. That will strain some relationships. Why I believe if Charlie succeeds it will be in a big way, because he will be judged strictly on performance. If not he will be out in 3-4 years.
Thanks Codaxx...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope Strong has success.
I'm a firm believer that any great program must have another great program as their nemesis.
If you don't have another program pushing you to get better all the time I think you fall off some. Just my opinion.

If Strong fails at Texas then Oklahoma won't be as good as we could be. I don't think it's any coincidence that since Texas has struggled the past few years that Oklahoma hasn't been the strongest of teams either.

I agree. I actually think you have started to see that a bit at OU recently. They just expect to win. It will be interesting to see the RRS this year. Seems like it has been a long time since the game featured 2 teams willing to fight to the end to win. Both teams have reminded me of school yard bullies of late. If they sense an ounce of fear they will roll you, but punch them in the mouth and they will just roll over.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I actually think you have started to see that a bit at OU recently. They just expect to win. It will be interesting to see the RRS this year. Seems like it has been a long time since the game featured 2 teams willing to fight to the end to win. Both teams have reminded me of school yard bullies of late. If they sense an ounce of fear they will roll you, but punch them in the mouth and they will just roll over.

Well, it looks like Stoops has come off his 4 year vacation, so we have that going for us. :rollseyes:

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good post. This pretty much says it all. I just hope people understand that it's going to take a some time. I'm not sure 3-4 years is enough time. Yes, we should see some improvement, but we have a long way to go. We just don't have a lot of great players right now. More importantly, we don't have a lot of great players at key positions. It's going to take a few years of really good recruiting to just get them started in the system, then a few more for development. I know I think the program has slipped more than some of you guys. I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion the program has fallen that far.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning cures everything. Funny thing is, Texas only lost 1 more game than Aggy did last year and was an ass hair away from winning the Big 12, finished 3rd in conference, while Aggy finished 7th. We had a top 10 win over OU; Aggy's best win was over that powerhouse football program known as the Duke Blue Devils. Regardless, it shows you what the expectations are like in Austin and what the rest of the country considers what the expectations should be like for the University of Texas where going 8-5 is not acceptable, nor will be tolerated, but going 9-4 and finishing 7th in your conference is celebrated as EXCELLENCE in College Station.

Regardless, winning immediately will take care of all this recruiting stuff ASAP. On a side note, Aggy should always have a top 5-10 recruiting class; RC Slocum was a master recruiter and Aggy has access to the same resources as big bro does.

Actually our best win was against Ole Miss last year the team that beat you. A&M was close to winning against Auburn, Alabama, Missouri last year if we had a defense we would have won.Finishing 7th out 14 teams in SEC is a good accomplishment.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. This pretty much says it all. I just hope people understand that it's going to take a some time. I'm not sure 3-4 years is enough time. Yes, we should see some improvement, but we have a long way to go. We just don't have a lot of great players right now. More importantly, we don't have a lot of great players at key positions. It's going to take a few years of really good recruiting to just get them started in the system, then a few more for development. I know I think the program has slipped more than some of you guys. I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion the program has fallen that far.

I think there are players, but you need to understand the abysmal development that went on. Texas is only a few years removed from a full-time S&C coach dedicated to football. Yes, all that money and Texas had Mad Dog running several programs within the University. This years seniors on defense have had Muschamp, Diaz, Robinson, and now Bedford as a DC over the 5 years. On offense OC has been Davis, Harsin, Applewhite, and now Wickline. If you wonder why the stars have not developed just look at the last few sentences. It was a perfect recipe to waste talent. I am looking forward to a stabile program that coordinates recruiting and development to a scheme.