• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting on the manager interview process and Perez contract negotiations
Was hoping Rocker was further along with FB control inducing more swing and misses but perhaps I am underestimating the comp and would like to see more medicals

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping Rocker was further along with FB control inducing more swing and misses
He is only 3 innings into his career. There is no microwave oven to put him into to get him done faster. Lol

He is 3 innings into what will probably be at least a 3 year process to get him ready for the big leagues.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is only 3 innings into his career. There is no microwave oven to put him into to get him done faster. Lol

He is 3 innings into what will probably be at least a 3 year process to get him ready for the big leagues.
All that being said, I would still rather have Termarr Johnson in the fold.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, I would still rather have Termarr Johnson in the fold.
Don’t disagree and was thinking 2 years. Maybe that is my impatience. He has big game experience so that is good. Just want him healthy

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t disagree and was thinking 2 years. Maybe that is my impatience. He has big game experience so that is good. Just want him healthy
I think it will take Leiter at least 2 years, and probably longer. I would expect with the surgery and layoff that Rocker would take 3 years at a minimum.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where Sale has spent 340 days on the IL since 2020. Don’t know if I would trade for him.

I think he is a FA if I remember correctly

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here’s an article that doesn’t really tell us much, other than Chris Young grew up a Ranger fan. Which I think is really cool to have him at the helm. But the manager situation.. we shall see

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

If the Rangers aren’t willing to push to $200 million or higher, the current playoff field says they are just wasting Davis’ money. If there is one common theme among those teams still playing, it’s that those teams spend. If there are two, it’s that they spend and develop players. Of the eight teams remaining, there are six of the 10 highest payrolls in baseball. Cleveland, ranked 28th at $82 million, beat Tampa Bay, ranked 25th, in a battle of low-budget overachievers.

The average payroll for the remaining eight playoff teams: $204.4 million. The average MLB payroll in 2022 was $163.3 million. The Rangers: $161.3. And that’s with a $48 million jump over the previous season.

You could say the Rangers did about half the work necessary in the last year. The glass may be half full after signings of Corey Seager, Marcus Semien and Jon Gray. On the other hand, there is another half to fill.

Davis and Young talked about adding starting pitching in this winter. In Ray and Castillo, the Mariners added an average of $43 million per year for the next four years. If the Rangers want to match those top two, it’s probably going to take $50 million or more in annual increases. Just to get one of Jacob deGrom or Carlos Rodon would take upwards of $30 million per year. We’re talking about two.

And that’s not counting whatever it would take to re-sign Martín Pérez, which is a necessity. Figure that’s another $12-13 million per year for three years. Or, at the very least extending a qualifying one-year offer worth about $19 million.

Yes, perhaps $19 million would be spending a couple of million that could be considered wasted cash. The alternative: Wasting another $161 million as the Rangers did this past season. Going to say $175 million for 2023? That’s adjusting for inflation, nothing more.

The Rangers have a lot of gears turning in the right direction. They have a farm system ranked in the top 10, will likely move into the top five for next season and will get another high pick in July. They have some core veterans in Seager, Semien and Gray and two emerging stars in Nathaniel Lowe and Adolis García. They closed the spending gap some this past season. Thanks to their park and its environs, they should have the ability to do more. The combination gives them the ability to create and sustain a long-term championship window.

Anything less at this point is essentially a half-measure.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jamey Newberg's mailbag questions and answers:

Until deGrom and Kershaw sign, Texas will be tied to each. After doing well in recent years with pitchers on the second and third tiers–Jon Gray, Martin Perez, Lynn, Minor, Gibson–you can bet the pro scouting crew has the analytics group looking hard at names like Chris Bassitt, Tyler Anderson, Jameson Taillon, Sean Manaea, Nate Eovaldi, Ross Stripling, Michael Wacha, Noah Syndergaard, and Koudai Senga.

If the Rangers were able to sign deGrom and bring back Perez, maybe they call it a day on the pitching front. Failing that, combining free agent deals with Perez and, say, Bassitt along with a trade for a frontline starter like Corbin Burnes (Brewers) or a young arm with ceiling like Pablo Lopez, Jesus Luzardo, or Trevor Rogers (Marlins) would be another bold way to repair a 2022 rotation that featured Gray, Perez, and a wave of young pitchers who uniformly failed to shed question marks.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may have to trade some prospects for pitching but I would rather wait a year. We may have the pitching of the future in the minors and rather pick up an Ace to completely finish the rebuild when contending for a WP spot.

Still at a minimum we need to resign Perez and another legitimate SP for next season
Build momentum. Of course that bell has been rung for a bit.

I don’t see us going to 200 million until we are closer to contending

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see us going to 200 million until we are closer to contending
I like the idea of spending that much -- eventually. It is just too early to tie up all your financial resources right now.

It would seem like a wise idea to wait and see how guys develop to determine where our holes are. Then when we know where the holes are, we can spend to fill those holes.

Right now, there are a lot of holes, but some, or even most, of them can be filled from within. We just don't know which ones will remain, yet. Some patience is required to finish this thing off right.