• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reactions: DTC

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the Rangers had $80 million to spend and are definitely shooting for playoff contention next year, would y’all be happy about this:

Perez-$19 mil per year
Bassitt-$22 per year
Rizzo-$17 per year
Benintendi-$15 per year
Matt Moore-$7 mil per year
$80 million

Trade Otto & Duran for David Bednar
Haven’t posted here in a very long time, but thought I’d check in and see what everyone was saying about the off-season.

As far as this plan above goes, that would be a no from me. I don’t think spending $80 million on those players moves the needle much at all towards the playoffs or contending.

Perez was brilliant this year, and maybe he is again next season. but IMO he shouldn’t be counted on as more than anything but a solid #3. But I am totally on board with bringing him back at the QO of $19 Million.

Bassitt is above average, really good even, but he’s similar to what we’ve had before with guys like Perez, Gibson, Lynn, Minor, etc. He’d be a welcomed addition for sure, but I don’t like him as a #1 starter on a playoff team. He’s a #2 or #3 on a contender. If playoffs in 2023 is the stated goal, then he should be free agent option #4, well behind deGrom and Rodon (who are both elite #1’s) and Senga (who at least has #1 potential based on his numbers in Japan). I get that deGrom’s price tag and injury history scare some people, but if not him at least Rodon should be the goal. He’s 4 years younger than Bassitt and is better in every important category (much better K/9, lower WHIP, and even half a run better in ERA). I’d much rather spend the difference to get a true ace like Rodon or deGrom, and then not spend on one of the hitters you mentioned.

Rizzo isn’t that huge of an upgrade over Lowe. All things equal, sure I’d rather have Rizzo. But he’s been very inconsistent over the last 3 seasons and his average and OBP haven’t always been the prettiest. I’m not a huge Nate Lowe fan, but I don’t think Rizzo is worth $17 Million more. If Rizzo is meant to be a DH, then I still think we could rotate the likes of Smith, Duran, etc. there and make better use of that $17 Million to upgrade the bullpen.

And Benintendi is just ok. Good player, but he’s not a difference maker. He’d represent a small upgrade overall, but he disappears for stretches and doesn’t hit for power. Just like with Bassitt and Rizzo- it’s not that I wouldn’t want him on the Rangers. It’s just that I think his addition, especially at that price tag, doesn’t really move the Rangers much closer to the playoffs. If you really want to upgrade the outfield, I’d ship out some prospects for Bryan Reynolds. Because he plays in Pittsburgh, he doesn’t get the love he should. That dude can rake, especially when he’s on a heater. Pirates are reportedly shopping him, too, as their window is farther out than ours.

If the Rangers really want to contend THIS year, they need to spend almost every free agent dollar on pitching. Perez and Gray are a good core, but I think they need at least one frontline starter (deGrom, Rodon, Senga, Alcantara or Woodruff via trade) and another really good starter like Bassitt or maybe Luzardo. Then let Odorizzi and Dunning battle it out for who gets to be the 5th starter and who gets pushed to the long man role.

I think this gets us to a WC berth:

Rodon
Bassitt
Perez
Gray
Odorizzi

Heim
Lowe
Semien
Seager
Jung
Smith/Duran
Garcia
Reynolds

That’s 2 free agent signings and 1 trade. Of course a few bullpen upgrades would be nice to go along with the likes of Dunning, Burke, Otto, and LeClerc.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do y’all think the Rangers make a trade over the next few hours ?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Abreu over Rizzo. No to Benintendi and Bassit. Yes to Moore
Maybe differ r starting pitcher and a closer. May we Robertson
Agree 100%. I’d rather have Abreu than Rizzo, and Robertson is the type of established bullpen arm we haven’t had in quite some time.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t posted here in a very long time, but thought I’d check in and see what everyone was saying about the off-season.

As far as this plan above goes, that would be a no from me. I don’t think spending $80 million on those players moves the needle much at all towards the playoffs or contending.

Perez was brilliant this year, and maybe he is again next season. but IMO he shouldn’t be counted on as more than anything but a solid #3. But I am totally on board with bringing him back at the QO of $19 Million.

Bassitt is above average, really good even, but he’s similar to what we’ve had before with guys like Perez, Gibson, Lynn, Minor, etc. He’d be a welcomed addition for sure, but I don’t like him as a #1 starter on a playoff team. He’s a #2 or #3 on a contender. If playoffs in 2023 is the stated goal, then he should be free agent option #4, well behind deGrom and Rodon (who are both elite #1’s) and Senga (who at least has #1 potential based on his numbers in Japan). I get that deGrom’s price tag and injury history scare some people, but if not him at least Rodon should be the goal. He’s 4 years younger than Bassitt and is better in every important category (much better K/9, lower WHIP, and even half a run better in ERA). I’d much rather spend the difference to get a true ace like Rodon or deGrom, and then not spend on one of the hitters you mentioned.

Rizzo isn’t that huge of an upgrade over Lowe. All things equal, sure I’d rather have Rizzo. But he’s been very inconsistent over the last 3 seasons and his average and OBP haven’t always been the prettiest. I’m not a huge Nate Lowe fan, but I don’t think Rizzo is worth $17 Million more. If Rizzo is meant to be a DH, then I still think we could rotate the likes of Smith, Duran, etc. there and make better use of that $17 Million to upgrade the bullpen.

And Benintendi is just ok. Good player, but he’s not a difference maker. He’d represent a small upgrade overall, but he disappears for stretches and doesn’t hit for power. Just like with Bassitt and Rizzo- it’s not that I wouldn’t want him on the Rangers. It’s just that I think his addition, especially at that price tag, doesn’t really move the Rangers much closer to the playoffs. If you really want to upgrade the outfield, I’d ship out some prospects for Bryan Reynolds. Because he plays in Pittsburgh, he doesn’t get the love he should. That dude can rake, especially when he’s on a heater. Pirates are reportedly shopping him, too, as their window is farther out than ours.

If the Rangers really want to contend THIS year, they need to spend almost every free agent dollar on pitching. Perez and Gray are a good core, but I think they need at least one frontline starter (deGrom, Rodon, Senga, Alcantara or Woodruff via trade) and another really good starter like Bassitt or maybe Luzardo. Then let Odorizzi and Dunning battle it out for who gets to be the 5th starter and who gets pushed to the long man role.

I think this gets us to a WC berth:

Rodon
Bassitt
Perez
Gray
Odorizzi

Heim
Lowe
Semien
Seager
Jung
Smith/Duran
Garcia
Reynolds

That’s 2 free agent signings and 1 trade. Of course a few bullpen upgrades would be nice to go along with the likes of Dunning, Burke, Otto, and LeClerc.

Thank you for the thorough response!
That was awesome
I really like that plan.
Makes sense. That’s right at $80 million in additions with your plan too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot wait for Perez to come back and pitch just as well as he did this year. Suddenly all we will hear from his detractors will be crickets. lol

I look forward to telling Newberg that Martin Perez still says hello. Lol

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if any other players on team roster are waived today or at least traded

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if any other players on team roster are waived today or at least traded
If they don't clear out a few spots it will be a huge mistake.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't clear out a few spots it will be a huge mistake.
I think we may be trying to move for a reliever and when that happens a roster spot will be lost

Not sure we protect and add more than 5 Maybe we do 6 but other teams are under roster crunches too

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we may be trying to move for a reliever and when that happens a roster spot will be lost

Not sure we protect and add more than 5 Maybe we do 6 but other teams are under roster crunches too
We have guys we can release and then sign them or their equivalents to a minor league deal. We should be able to get down to 28 or 29 easily.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers will protect at the most 5 players; could be only 4. I think if that happens we have a good chance of losing 2 or 3 guys either in Rule 5 or in an underwhelming trade or 2.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers will protect at the most 5 players; could be only 4. I think if that happens we have a good chance of losing 2 or 3 guys either in Rule 5 or in an underwhelming trade or 2.
My guess is 5 and so think there are at a minimum 2 roster spots we can open up
Not sure why we keep Eli White that is a trade waiting to happen and it seems like there are 2 relievers and yuu never know Garver might be moved too.

If we go ahead and make a bigger trade for a starter maybe Dunning is included

I think we might make a trade for a reliever though

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next order of business:

Sign Kodai Senga.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez was 14th in ERA across MLB this past season. I fully expect him to be top 20 again in 2023.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many wins will it take to make the postseason?

A couple of times recently it only took 86. Other times about 90 or low 90s.

How many wins are we trying to build the 2023 roster to achieve?