• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson and the CY press conference yesterday:

The plan is to add multiple starting pitchers in addition to Martin Perez. No team has ever turned down a middle-of-the-order bat, and that’s on owner Ray Davis’ wish list.

He’s the boss and is tired of losing, Young said, so there will be a bigger budget than what the Rangers had this season.

The Rangers have not made a decision on what they will do with the $6 million club option they hold on right-handed reliever Jose Leclerc.

Young was less specific about the managerial search behind Beasley. The hope is it will be done within three to four weeks, which indicates the Rangers hope to interview candidates with playoff teams. Their initial working list has been whittled down, though Young did not provide the number of candidates or any names.

Delivering a successful offseason for the Rangers is on Young’s shoulders.

“My expectation is that we’re contending next year, and I think to do that we need solid starting pitching,” Young said. “We’re going to explore all aspects of the starting pitching market. On top to bottom, we’re going to find the right group to help Texas Rangers compete for the playoffs next season.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. It sounds like the plan is to find 3 pitchers, including Perez, on the market to team with John Gray. That means that outside of temporary injury replacements there will be one spot in the rotation for a young pitcher from our organization in 2023 and most likely in 2024 as well. A second slot could open by 2025, with an outside chance of a third one as well, but most likely only one more.

That fits into the pattern started last offseason when the front office acquired multiple expensive pieces where the organization is the deepest, middle infielders.

Meanwhile, the bullpen seems destined to be mostly ignored again.

If they are going to pursue pitching via trades and free agency to the extent that we barely need to develop any pitchers of our own, then that means the draft strategy of the last two years was extremely flawed. That is especially true for this year's draft.

Either plan is workable, but trying to implement both plans is foolish.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. It sounds like the plan is to find 3 pitchers, including Perez, on the market to team with John Gray. That means that outside of temporary injury replacements there will be one spot in the rotation for a young pitcher from our organization in 2023 and most likely in 2024 as well. A second slot could open by 2025, with an outside chance of a third one as well, but most likely only one more.

That fits into the pattern started last offseason when the front office acquired multiple expensive pieces where the organization is the deepest, middle infielders.

Meanwhile, the bullpen seems destined to be mostly ignored again.

If they are going to pursue pitching via trades and free agency to the extent that we barely need to develop any pitchers of our own, then that means the draft strategy of the last two years was extremely flawed. That is especially true for this year's draft.

Either plan is workable, but trying to implement both plans is foolish.
Maybe they move Gray. And add a one or two year rental. Pitching is a good thing. Leiter was flawed last year. Hope he rebounds

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now here is elite

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign 3 good pitchers including Perez, we have done well. I hope our depth is good in AAA
A minor league deal for a 3rd is not a bad thing
Rather bring a guy up in case if injury instead of bullpen games.

Cody may be that guy though but think we have to roster him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do agree with the QO but 3 pitchers signed is very optimistic

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they move Gray.
Would that make any sense? You make a big deal in a press conference about acquiring pitching and then move your best pitcher going into free agency? That would not make any sense at all, would it?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they move Gray. And add a one or two year rental. Pitching is a good thing. Leiter was flawed last year. Hope he rebounds
Pitching is great, but just as great are position players who can hit. Like the hitters they passed up for Rocker and Porter.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign 3 good pitchers including Perez, we have done well. I hope our depth is good in AAA
A minor league deal for a 3rd is not a bad thing
Rather bring a guy up in case if injury instead of bullpen games.

Cody may be that guy though but think we have to roster him
It is hard to see that as a possibility for the third pitcher, given what was said. That kind of pitcher would be in addition to those three.

If they were being less than truthful it would make sense to do so on the other extreme. If you say you are looking for more pitchers than you actually are it makes negotiations more difficult.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The end of season Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects list is out. We had 3 on it.

15. Jung
29. Leiter
63. White

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Allard can’t solve his gopher ball problem. He’s gotta go.
Bull Pen: I would keep Moore and LeClerc. You (usually) need an experienced Ace closer if you are going to go deep into the playoffs in 2024 and 2025. Rangers don’t have one now and there might not be one available for trade or FA at that point.
Call me crazy but I would lock up Diaz for 3 years. He’ll probably want 20 million a year.
Burke, Moore, Hernandez/LeClerc and Diaz seems pretty solid on paper.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that make any sense? You make a big deal in a press conference about acquiring pitching and then move your best pitcher going into free agency? That would not make any sense at all, would it?
If when you move home your other pitchers are ready it makes sense but surely not this year if this is what you thought I meant

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching is great, but just as great are position players who can hit. Like the hitters they passed up for Rocker and Porter.
You may end up being right

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If when you move home your other pitchers are ready it makes sense but surely not this year if this is what you thought I meant
If Gray has a 3.70- 4.00 ERA in 2023, I don't think he is going anywhere. A team that sees themselves in contention doesn't make a move like that, i wouldn't think. Not even if a guy in AAA puts up a 3.00. ERA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may end up being right
You know, I had no problem stocking up on pitching in the draft. I have no problem doing so in free agency. I do have a problem doing both.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gray has a 3.70- 4.00 ERA in 2023, I don't think he is going anywhere. A team that sees themselves in contention doesn't make a move like that, i wouldn't think. Not even if a guy in AAA puts up a 3.00. ERA.
But maybe he does not and does better. He has pretty good stuff when on. Injuries are my main disappointment

You seem pretty sour on our pitching pursuit

I really doubt we get 3 pitchers. If our young pitchers perform they will have plenty of opportunities

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But maybe he does not and does better. He has pretty good stuff when on. Injuries are my main disappointment

You seem pretty sour on our pitching pursuit

I really doubt we get 3 pitchers. If our young pitchers perform they will have plenty of opportunities
I would rather them concentrate on the bullpen. The bullpen gave up to many leads and late runs.