• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Relief Pitcher: Andrew Chafin: 57 1/3 IP, 2.83 ERA, 10.5 SO/9, 3.0 BB/9. Chafin’s been a quality left-handed reliever for the past few seasons now, the last of which came with the Tigers. He’s effective against both left and right-handed hitters, and should fit in as a late-inning arm wherever he winds up landing. Control was an issue earlier in his career, but he seems to have tidied that up and posted a mark below 8% for the second-straight season. That figure came with a quality 27.6% strikeout rate. After declining a $6.5MM option on his contract with the Tigers, he should be able to top that on the open market on a multi-year deal.
He looks good but Moore gets right handers out too and the Yankees originally DFA’d Luetge. I heard a reporter say the left handed reliever has lost value with the recent rule change of facing at least 3 batters.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Sunday's MLBTR chat:

chances the rangers trade for bryan reynolds? what do you think a trade package would look like?

Mark P

6:29

The way Pittsburgh is prioritizing young pitching in any Reynolds package, they'd want at least one of Jack Leiter or Owen White. Porter and Rocker would also be on the radar, but not as a headliner. Maybe the Bucs open to a Porter as the top pitcher if, say, at least one of Jung or Evan Carter were also involved.

All in all, it depends on what the Pirates specifically like within the Rangers' system, and it helps Texas to some extent that they have a good deal of depth. On the other hand, the Pirates also want such a haul for Reynolds that even the Rangers aren't going to just hand over 4-5 of their top minor leaguers, naturally.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For minor league pitching coach...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a really good article explaining some of the flaws in using one on my least favorite statistics, FIP.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant has an article out today where he gives 23 reasons why the Rangers can win 23 more games in 2023 than they did last year. I will try to post a few of them today and tomorrow. I won't list all of them, because some of them appear to be a little weak, at best.

23. Ray Davis’ wallet: If the need arises to help the team at the trade deadline, there is no reason to think they will be hesitant to add payroll. Davis has already committed over $800 million in contracts the last two winters. Taking on a little more with a playoff berth in sight should not be an obstacle.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who gets tired of all of the articles about who voted for who in the HOF balloting? It gives me the impression that they might be voting with the goal of getting the most people to click on their articles about who they voted for, instead of voting simply for who deserves it.

It also concerns me that the voting could start to become subject to peer pressure, if it hasn't already.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who gets tired of all of the articles about who voted for who in the HOF balloting? It gives me the impression that they might be voting with the goal of getting the most people to click on their articles about who they voted for, instead of voting simply for who deserves it.

It also concerns me that the voting could start to become subject to peer pressure, if it hasn't already.
The peer pressure is real. I would think they should not disclose until a universal date.

The whole HIF is a crock and politically infested.
There is no way a guy like Schilling should be blackballed regardless if his mouth spits term or venom. The Ped guys need to go in including Arod. Just give a little asterisk if you need to. But I guess it would tick off a few at the jacket ceremony. A stained jacket lol

So yes I don’t read those with much interest

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant has an article out today where he gives 23 reasons why the Rangers can win 23 more games in 2023 than they did last year. I will try to post a few of them today and tomorrow. I won't list all of them, because some of them appear to be a little weak, at best.

23. Ray Davis’ wallet: If the need arises to help the team at the trade deadline, there is no reason to think they will be hesitant to add payroll. Davis has already committed over $800 million in contracts the last two winters. Taking on a little more with a playoff berth in sight should not be an obstacle.
Money does not always cover up bad choices

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Sunday's MLBTR chat:

chances the rangers trade for bryan reynolds? what do you think a trade package would look like?

Mark P

6:29

The way Pittsburgh is prioritizing young pitching in any Reynolds package, they'd want at least one of Jack Leiter or Owen White. Porter and Rocker would also be on the radar, but not as a headliner. Maybe the Bucs open to a Porter as the top pitcher if, say, at least one of Jung or Evan Carter were also involved.

All in all, it depends on what the Pirates specifically like within the Rangers' system, and it helps Texas to some extent that they have a good deal of depth. On the other hand, the Pirates also want such a haul for Reynolds that even the Rangers aren't going to just hand over 4-5 of their top minor leaguers, naturally.
If they say they want Jung or Carter, I’m hanging up.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

21. The new schedule: Playing every team in the majors under the new schedule means fewer games against the AL West. More importantly: Fewer against Houston and Seattle. The Rangers play those two 26 times in 2023; they were 10-28 against them in 2022.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

20. Depth: The Rangers are simply deeper. Consider that Kole Calhoun, Andy Ibáñez, Eli White, Meibrys Viloria, Willie Calhoun, Elier Hernàndez, Stephen Duggar and Steele Walker are all gone. They combined for 14 percent of the Rangers total plate appearances in 2022 and put together a .190/.262/.303/.565 slash line in it. They were a combined -0.5 WAR. Replacement-level play here nets them at least one win.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has made himself a pretty good career out of perseverance

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a really odd situation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The Rangers are apparently diving into the market for sweet-swinging progeny of Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero."

"A week ahead of the international free agent signing period, 16-year-old outfielder Pablo Guerrero, who has the swing of his dad and the solid build of his brother Vladimir Jr., made his first Instagram post. He was decked out in Rangers gear in multiple photos."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Though Guerrero has the most famous surname, he’s not considered the top prospect in the Rangers’ class. Shortstop Sebastian Walcott of the Bahamas, ranked as the No. 8 prospect in MLB.com’s international prospect rankings, has been linked repeatedly to the Rangers."

"The Rangers have $4.14 million to spend on international free agents. Their pool was reduced by $1 million for this year because they signed two players – Corey Seager and Marcus Semien – a year ago who rejected qualifying offers. They lost $500,000 as part of signing each."

"Walcott, who turns 17 in March, is 6-3, 170 pounds. According to MLB.com’s scouting report, he is an above-average runner who could develop above-average power. The scouting report compares him to Miami infielder Jazz Chishold as the best prospect to ever come out of the Bahamas."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

16. Found hits: According to Sports Info Solutions, Corey Seager lost more net hits (30) to the shift last year than any player in the majors. With the shift banned, Seager is primed to take advantage. Even gaining a third of those would have raised his batting average 16 points. And that was in something of a sub-par year.