• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think the way the Rangers have handled it is fine? The Rangers in particular?
This is not a simple yes or No. More of a conversation

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The middle class usually bear the burdens

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he has a news source within ownership. Seems like that is his skewed perspective

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a simple yes or No. More of a conversation
For me what they did was great; I was actually wanting them to do it after the 2013 season.

Feel free to begin the conversation about why it isn't a simple "yes" or "no" for you.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he has a news source within ownership. Seems like that is his skewed perspective
Almost every reporter's perspective is skewed, whether it is a sports reporter or otherwise. Even when their perspective isn't skewed, it is viewed as skewed by those whose perspectives are skewed. Almost everything is polarized today.

Of course, some are more skewed than others and some are more bitter than others toward those on, what they have deemed, the other side.

There are some in the media that are downright bitter about this issue and a lot of others. I pointed out a reporter as being a "bitter soul" the other day when Adam Morris retweeted him. Ironically, Adam, who himself is one of the most bitter guys I follow, disagreed. He disagreed because he is bitter about the same issue and those who are bitter almost never can see themselves as being bitter.

It is so funny how hateful some on Twitter have been in their comments when it becomes apparent that I am not taking the players side. I don't have to say anything positive at all about the owners, just not following the MLBPA in lockstep is enough.

There are two things folks either belief is true or false that will shape how these issues are viewed:

1) The union is always right and management is always wrong.
2) Employees have a right to a certain amount of their employer's revenue.

Most who hold those two beliefs will never understand those who don't and vice versa.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every reporter's perspective is skewed, whether it is a sports reporter or otherwise. Even when their perspective isn't skewed, it is viewed as skewed by those whose perspectives are skewed. Almost everything is polarized today.

Of course, some are more skewed than others and some are more bitter than others toward those on, what they have deemed, the other side.

There are some in the media that are downright bitter about this issue and a lot of others. I pointed out a reporter as being a "bitter soul" the other day when Adam Morris retweeted him. Ironically, Adam, who himself is one of the most bitter guys I follow, disagreed. He disagreed because he is bitter about the same issue and those who are bitter almost never can see themselves as being bitter.

It is so funny how hateful some on Twitter have been in their comments when it becomes apparent that I am not taking the players side. I don't have to say anything positive at all about the owners, just not following the MLBPA in lockstep is enough.

There are two things folks either belief is true or false that will shape how these issues are viewed:

Most who hold those two beliefs will never understand those who don't and vice versa.
you sound bitter

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me what they did was great; I was actually wanting them to do it after the 2013 season.

Feel free to begin the conversation about why it isn't a simple "yes" or "no" for you.
Yes I like what they did within the rule framework
No I don’t like the rules that foster tanking

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not downing Bobs opinion re lockout. It just seems to me he is in the know suddenly where as before he could never get a first hand scoop. Thus I think his source is within ownership

Of course all this is personal opinion. I have no axe to grind with him

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson's Farm Report:

Players to watch

Jack Leiter: He’s never thrown a pitch as a professional, but is already hitting 99 mph in live batting practice. Not only that, he said his stuff is better than it was a year ago as he pitched in games at Vanderbilt. Leiter could open his season at Double A Frisco and ride his fastball and slider to quickly ascend to the major leagues.

Dustin Harris: The 2021 Rangers Minor League Player of the Year will see some new challenges in 2022. He is likely to open the season at Frisco after dominating A ball last year, and he will do so at a new position. Harris will play left field, though he won’t complete abandon first base.

Evan Carter: The 19-year-old is back after dealing with a stress fracture in his back last season. The Rangers have seen nothing but good things since the outfielder arrived in Arizona, and believe his strike-zone judgment will allow him to not skip a beat this season.

Luisangel Acuna: Not a lot is known about Acuna other than his famous bloodlines (his brother is MLB superstar Ronald Acuna Jr.). The Rangers know what he did last season, including proving that he is a shortstop, and this offseason, including adding more muscle to his 5-foot-8 frame.

Blaine Crim: It’s been said many times: All this guy does is hit. The first baseman won the batting title this winter in the Puerto Rican Winter League and could open his season Triple A Round Rock. He’s not just a slap hitter, either. Crim led all Rangers minor-leaguers with 29 homers and can also play some outfield and third base.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of how the Rangers handled business over the last 3 years do you wish they wouldn't have been able to do due to different rules?

Should they have been forced to hang onto Minor, Lynn, and Gallo?

Should they have been forced to spend money on free agents? If so, should they have been forced to buy enough free agents to be an 80 win team, a 90 win team, or a 95-100 win team?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson's Farm Report:

Players to watch

Jack Leiter: He’s never thrown a pitch as a professional, but is already hitting 99 mph in live batting practice. Not only that, he said his stuff is better than it was a year ago as he pitched in games at Vanderbilt. Leiter could open his season at Double A Frisco and ride his fastball and slider to quickly ascend to the major leagues.

Dustin Harris: The 2021 Rangers Minor League Player of the Year will see some new challenges in 2022. He is likely to open the season at Frisco after dominating A ball last year, and he will do so at a new position. Harris will play left field, though he won’t complete abandon first base.

Evan Carter: The 19-year-old is back after dealing with a stress fracture in his back last season. The Rangers have seen nothing but good things since the outfielder arrived in Arizona, and believe his strike-zone judgment will allow him to not skip a beat this season.

Luisangel Acuna: Not a lot is known about Acuna other than his famous bloodlines (his brother is MLB superstar Ronald Acuna Jr.). The Rangers know what he did last season, including proving that he is a shortstop, and this offseason, including adding more muscle to his 5-foot-8 frame.

Blaine Crim: It’s been said many times: All this guy does is hit. The first baseman won the batting title this winter in the Puerto Rican Winter League and could open his season Triple A Round Rock. He’s not just a slap hitter, either. Crim led all Rangers minor-leaguers with 29 homers and can also play some outfield and third base.
I don’t care where Leiter starts but I hope
He has time to work on secondary pitches

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of how the Rangers handled business over the last 3 years do you wish they wouldn't have been able to do due to different rules?

Should they have been forced to hang onto Minor, Lynn, and Gallo?

Should they have been forced to spend money on free agents? If so, should they have been forced to buy enough free agents to be an 80 win team, a 90 win team, or a 95-100 win team?
I don’t mind answering questions straight up but I think my thought process has been clearly laid out. I need to relax and not over think.

Feel free to give your opinion. Thanks

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not downing Bobs opinion re lockout. It just seems to me he is in the know suddenly where as before he could never get a first hand scoop. Thus I think his source is within ownership

Of course all this is personal opinion. I have no axe to grind with him
I have been following him for quite some time, at least a year or more. The reason I follow any national writer is because they showed, at some point, that they have sources and can share relatable information. His ability to get infornation is what made me follow him to begin with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t mind answering questions straight up but I think my thought process has been clearly laid out. I need to relax and not over think.

Feel free to give your opinion. Thanks
Lol. Okay, so you don't want to answer.

It is one thing to talk in generalities. I just think it is really helpful to flesh those generalities out into how they would affect my team, or any particular team, specifically. When it affects my team, ideals have to become convictions and not just ideals.

Myself, I hope that any team that needs to rebuild, like the Rangers did, will always be able to rebuild similarly to how the Rangers did. I am glad the Rangers decided not to cling to mediocrity any longer, unlike the team across the street had done for years and years.

I have no place for teams that have to be cheap every year. I do understand not spending at the wrong time.

Actually, I doubt anything that is being proposed will affect the way the lower rung teams handle their roster. They are not going to become spenders like it is hoped they will. And make no mistake, this whole issue is an issue with the union because they are hoping to make the lower rung teams spend more.

The teams a little higher up might increase spending slightly due to the vastly expanding playoffs. Although, that will probably be offset by some teams, a little higher up still, spending less because they don't need to spend as much with expanded playoffs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the Rangers tanked using those rules. that's the only way to describe what the Rangers did during that time

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Okay, so you don't want to answer.

It is one thing to talk in generalities. I just think it is really helpful to flesh those generalities out into how they would affect my team, or any particular team, specifically. When it affects my team, ideals have to become convictions and not just ideals.

Myself, I hope that any team that needs to rebuild, like the Rangers did, will always be able to rebuild similarly to how the Rangers did. I am glad the Rangers decided not to cling to mediocrity any longer, unlike the team across the street had done for years and years.

I have no place for teams that have to be cheap every year. I do understand not spending at the wrong time.

Actually, I doubt anything that is being proposed will affect the way the lower rung teams handle their roster. They are not going to become spenders like it is hoped they will. And make no mistake, this whole issue is an issue with the union because they are hoping to make the lower rung teams spend more.

The teams a little higher up might increase spending slightly due to the vastly expanding playoffs. Although, that will probably be offset by some teams, a little higher up still, spending less because they don't need to spend as much with expanded playoffs.
Old men talk in generalities l. Sorry if I did not provide enough.

Was not that fired up with keeping Holt and Culbertson. Did not mind them flipping pitchers and Gallo. Glad they traded Elvis and Odor. Don’t mind them picking up a pitcher this year.

To me there is a difference tanking day one vs ASB. Probably stuff I am forgetting but there