• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would most likely have to be a perfect storm type scenario. I really doubt if they are willing to quickly offer market value, for the number of years the market dictates, that they will come up short. They do have to be proactive and not sit back and view the landscape for awhile.

This is a year like no other from three different standpoints. We have a ton of room in the budget. We have most likely the biggest selection of top names in many, many years. We have lots of needs.

Therefore, no excuses accepted and none should be given.

I mean, yeah they could always do the same thing they did with A-Rod and offer an absurd contract above where previous markets were. But there aren't any A-Rod-level talents in this offseason, so I prefer they don't do that.

Let's say some GM comes right out of the gate and offers Correa 10/350. I'm not going to fault the Rangers for not going to 10/360 on him. And now you've got the market set. If the Rangers make competitive offers to the free agents in that market - meaning, they are at or just below what the player eventually signs for - then I'm not going to call that a failure.

I don't want the Rangers "doing whatever it takes" to give out top tier contracts for players who aren't top tier.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th
It is possible that the Rangers could make every effort and still come up empty.
that wouldn't surprise me at all. the Rangers especially under JD have a history of stating a plan of being active during Free Agency and we fans end up being utterly disappointed by what actually happens

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, yeah they could always do the same thing they did with A-Rod and offer an absurd contract above where previous markets were. But there aren't any A-Rod-level talents in this offseason, so I prefer they don't do that.

Let's say some GM comes right out of the gate and offers Correa 10/350. I'm not going to fault the Rangers for not going to 10/360 on him. And now you've got the market set. If the Rangers make competitive offers to the free agents in that market - meaning, they are at or just below what the player eventually signs for - then I'm not going to call that a failure.

I don't want the Rangers "doing whatever it takes" to give out top tier contracts for players who aren't top tier.
If that happens with Correa, then what I said about this being a year like no other from three standpoints is still valid.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

that wouldn't surprise me at all. the Rangers especially under JD have a history of stating a plan of being active during Free Agency and we fans end up being utterly disappointed by what actually happens

Don't really agree with the "stated plans" part, but fans are generally disappointed no matter what happens. I struggle to come up with anything the Rangers have done that fans thought was good.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When JD says Rangers will be paying market value- that to me is saying the ownership gave him a budget for free agents in the past but he was unable prior to convince them it was not enough to land the players he wanted

Yea he is putting everyone including himself to task

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
struggle to come up with anything the Rangers have done that fans thought was good.
I don't know about others, but here are some of mine.

Cliff Lee trade
Cliff Lee FA pursuit
Beltre signing
Vlad signing
Hamilton trade
Napoli trade
Picking Cruz back up after we released him
Development of Blalock, Kinsler and Davis
Lynn trade
Minor trade
Odor trade
Elvis trade
Committing to a rebuild
Darvish signing
Elvis extension
Drafting Leiter
Drafting Winn
Drafting Crouse
Drafting Jung
Drafting Foscue
Re-signing Adolis
Giving Feliz a chance to start
Lynn signing
Gibson signing
Minor signing
Hiring Maddux

I am sure there would be others if I would think some more about it. These all came to my mind in 6 or 7 minutes.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if they overpay for a FA or two. To me, overpaying only hurts the team if it creates a budget problem within the next few years. With all of the cheap, young talent we have coming on board, this team can only get in a budget crunch if they get in a hurry and sign 5 or 6 free agents now, and then have to trade away our young, cheap talent.

To me the ideal mix is 20 or 21 young, cheap talented players and 3 or 4 FA and a couple of trade acquisituons. If you can spend $185 million per year, and those cheap guys only cost about $30-35 million collectively, then you can afford to overpay for one or two of the others.

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmm

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Tigers throwing a 12 year $400 million contract at him.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about others, but here are some of mine.

Cliff Lee trade
Cliff Lee FA pursuit
Beltre signing
Vlad signing
Hamilton trade
Napoli trade
Picking Cruz back up after we released him
Development of Blalock, Kinsler and Davis
Lynn trade
Minor trade
Odor trade
Elvis trade
Committing to a rebuild
Darvish signing
Elvis extension
Drafting Leiter
Drafting Winn
Drafting Crouse
Drafting Jung
Drafting Foscue
Re-signing Adolis
Giving Feliz a chance to start
Lynn signing
Gibson signing
Minor signing
Hiring Maddux

I am sure there would be others if I would think some more about it. These all came to my mind in 6 or 7 minutes.

i meant collectively, not individually.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i meant collectively, not individually.
It seemed by the way you put it that you meant Rangers fans didn't like anything they did. I didn't get "collectively" from what you said at all.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God he is such an idiot
Well he is not a fav by any stretch. And yes this is a formerly players perspective who did what he wanted and how he wanted.
Will be interesting to see what Jeter thinks and does. Marlins IMO are favorites to land Carlos C

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Tigers throwing a 12 year $400 million contract at him.
They to me are the second favorite with Hinch connection and past money splashes

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s the most you would be ok with on a Correa Contract?

Mine would be $320 over 10
I wouldn’t love it but I would ok with it. And excited for the next few years.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed by the way you put it that you meant Rangers fans didn't like anything they did. I didn't get "collectively" from what you said at all.

Yeah it really wasn't directed at you or anyone else on here. Not sure how much time you spend hearing the opinions of fans outside of this board, but the vast majority of Rangers fans are idiots.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s the most you would be ok with on a Correa Contract?

Mine would be $320 over 10
I wouldn’t love it but I would ok with it. And excited for the next few years.
Honestly not sure I could root for him due to Astro bias but also obvious cheating re trash cans etc.
I hope he is overpaid elsewhere