• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure of that. What they will and what they should often the same for him methinks

He totes the company line and snuggles up with the reporting rah rah team making sure all is politically correct.
But of course I am biased against the TV crew

Might be but have not seen him go out on a limb for any individual opinion. Trying to be nice but guess he just rubs me the wrong way
Seems you used to really like Durrett and he almost always went with the company line.

I have not seen that in Halike's writing myself.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need another Galloway.
Ha I was a big Galloway fan until he got a bit senile and overly chummy to Nolan and chief Nolan basher minus one other guy still at the FWST

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems you used to really like Durrett and he almost always went with the company line.

I have not seen that in Halike's writing myself.
I thought he set the table well with rapid reaction. But was not a huge fan. Thought he was a nice guy who came across very genuine who loved his job. Some writers these days get ticked if a game goes to extras

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he set the table well with rapid reaction. But was not a huge fan. Thought he was a nice guy who came across very genuine who loved his job. Some writers these days get ticked if a game goes to extras
I think we can agree they are all better than Mr. Darvish Basher, Calvin Watkins.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got irritated with Halicke writing and side views so I unfollowed him. Maybe a generation gap to some degree. I am glad he got a job back but he comes across as overly needed to fit in and ingratiating.
100% know I run some the wrong way as well
Maybe just not a good fit

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can agree they are all better than Mr. Darvish Basher, Calvin Watkins.
That was a huge mistake that fill in. And some people buy into that garbage

For the record I would rather have Darcish back than Kershaw if a vet pitcher is needed

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash should have kept his mouth shut too

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin Harris, 1B/3B

Harris was acquired from the A’s in the Mike Minordeal of 2020, and he spent the year making his new organization look very smart. Harris hit from Opening Day until season’s end, and finished the year as the only player in the minors to hit better than .300 with 20 or more doubles, home runs and stolen bases.

From BA America- prospects that boosted their stock

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why it would not be a disaster to give up on a few to let others have their chance

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin Harris, 1B/3B

Harris was acquired from the A’s in the Mike Minordeal of 2020, and he spent the year making his new organization look very smart. Harris hit from Opening Day until season’s end, and finished the year as the only player in the minors to hit better than .300 with 20 or more doubles, home runs and stolen bases.

From BA America- prospects that boosted their stock
Scott Lucas had something similar to this today.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Lucas had something similar to this today.
On our podcast two Fridays ago, Sean Bass, Michael Tepid and I picked three players who improved their standing during 2021 and three who fell. My "up" picks:

1. IF Dustin Harris -- What I wrote after the August 2020 trade: "Like [Marcus] Smith, he’s contact-oriented. The differences are better power potential and a lack of defensive prowess. Third base is possible, first is probable, so the bat will determine his future. Given his age and the presumed demise of short-season ball potentially pushing some prospects upward quickly, Harris has a chance to skip low-A in 2021... Harris will need to keep hitting and display some power against age-appropriate competition to move up." He did not skip low-A, but he kept hitting, he displayed more than just "some" power, and he moved up. We'll find out in 2022 to what extent the Rangers believe he can play somewhere other than first on a regular basis.

2. IF Josh Jung -- Bold choice, huh? I originally had IF Luisangel Acuna as my #2, but since Michael Tepid also had Acuna, I chose another player to broaden the discussion. Even though Jung's a too-obvious choice, I do think he deserves mention. Jung drew raves during the 2020 workouts, but he still entered 2021 with no experience above low-A and questions about his spray chart and power. He exited 2021 as someone ready to play in the Majors on a regular basis. Right now. In my opinion.

3. RHP Owen White -- White missed his first three seasons to an elbow injury and the pandemic. In the third inning of his extremely belated pro debut, he failed to convert a defensive chance, and instead of redirecting his anger with deep breathing or a lotus pose, he punched the ground. Three months later, White and his healed hand finally showed why the Rangers picked him 55th overall in 2018. With four pitches topped by a mid-90s fastball, White struck out a whopping 40% of his opponents, and in his final regular season start he he carried a no-hitter into the 8th inning. (Fellow Down East hurlers Tekoah Roby and Marc Church were equally impressive and could have occupied this spot if not for elbow injuries, neither of which required surgery. Roby pitched last Thursday at instructionals.)

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On our podcast two Fridays ago, Sean Bass, Michael Tepid and I picked three players who improved their standing during 2021 and three who fell. My "up" picks:

1. IF Dustin Harris -- What I wrote after the August 2020 trade: "Like [Marcus] Smith, he’s contact-oriented. The differences are better power potential and a lack of defensive prowess. Third base is possible, first is probable, so the bat will determine his future. Given his age and the presumed demise of short-season ball potentially pushing some prospects upward quickly, Harris has a chance to skip low-A in 2021... Harris will need to keep hitting and display some power against age-appropriate competition to move up." He did not skip low-A, but he kept hitting, he displayed more than just "some" power, and he moved up. We'll find out in 2022 to what extent the Rangers believe he can play somewhere other than first on a regular basis.

2. IF Josh Jung -- Bold choice, huh? I originally had IF Luisangel Acuna as my #2, but since Michael Tepid also had Acuna, I chose another player to broaden the discussion. Even though Jung's a too-obvious choice, I do think he deserves mention. Jung drew raves during the 2020 workouts, but he still entered 2021 with no experience above low-A and questions about his spray chart and power. He exited 2021 as someone ready to play in the Majors on a regular basis. Right now. In my opinion.

3. RHP Owen White -- White missed his first three seasons to an elbow injury and the pandemic. In the third inning of his extremely belated pro debut, he failed to convert a defensive chance, and instead of redirecting his anger with deep breathing or a lotus pose, he punched the ground. Three months later, White and his healed hand finally showed why the Rangers picked him 55th overall in 2018. With four pitches topped by a mid-90s fastball, White struck out a whopping 40% of his opponents, and in his final regular season start he he carried a no-hitter into the 8th inning. (Fellow Down East hurlers Tekoah Roby and Marc Church were equally impressive and could have occupied this spot if not for elbow injuries, neither of which required surgery. Roby pitched last Thursday at instructionals.)
That’s awesome

You have a podcast??

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s awesome

You have a podcast??
Lol. No, I guess I should have made that more clear. This was from Scott Lucas' podcast.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I guess I have too much tome on my hands, but I came up with my Rangers 40-man roster in reverse order of importance to the team, as I see it. The order is very much subject to change. If I did this again next week you would probably detect some vacillation on my part. I could probably be convinced to move some guys up or down a few spots, but not more than a few.

The list currently has 46 names on it. We have to get down to 40 before the FA names are removed, so those first three guys cannot be removed first.

Feel free to criticize my list, but before you criticize it too much, try coming up with one of your own. It was a very interesting exercise.

Jordan Lyles FA

Brock Holt - FA

Charlie Culberson - FA

Josh Sborz

Anderson Tejeda

Dennis Santana

Jharel Cotton

Spencer Patton

Spencer Howard

Eli White IL-60

DJ Peters

Drew Anderson

Curtis Terry

Jonah Heim

Brock Burke

Joe Palumbo

Sherten Apostel

Ronald Guzmán IL-60

Matt Bush

Demarcus Evans

Edwar Colina

Kyle Cody IL-60

Leody Taveras

John King IL-60

Yonny Hernandez

José Leclerc

Kolby Allard

David García

Yohel Pozo

Jose Trevino

Yerry Rodriguez

Isiah Kiner-Falefa

Brett Martin

Willie Calhoun

Andy Ibáñez

Nick Solak

Jonathan Hernández IL-60

Nick Snyder IL-60

Joe Barlow

Glenn Otto

Nathaniel Lowe

Taylor Hearn

Dane Dunning

A.J. Alexy

Adolis García

Sam Huff

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Jeff Wilson.

Two right-handers returned to the mound last week at the instructional league after lengthy rehabs for elbow injuries, and neither pitcher’s arm fell off.

First up was Ricky Vanasco, who tossed a perfect inning in his first game since 2019 at then-Low A Hickory. Vanasco underwent Tommy John surgery in September 2020 after feeling his ulnar collateral ligament give while pitching at the alternate site.

Some believe Vanasco is the Rangers’ top pitching prospect, topping out at 100 mph with his fastball and complementing it with a plus-changeup.

TK Roby completed a scoreless inning in his first game since May at Low A Down East. The 2020 third-round pick had a tear in the UCL that did not require surgery but kept him from pitching again during the regular season.

The Rangers might be aggressive with both pitchers in 2022 if they remain healthy. Vanasco, for instance, could open at High A Hickory with the aim of quickly moving to Double A Frisco.

That was the path the Rangers chose this season for left-hander Cole Ragans, who hadn’t pitched since 2017 because of two Tommy John surgeries.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levi Weaver has listed some needs the Rangers have and he gives some possibilities to fill those needs. The first need is one that always seems to be blown out of proportion, veteran leadership. He gives a list of players to consider. He says the following.

"To fill this particular need, the player’s projected stats in 2022 aren’t as important as the “intangibles” they’ll bring to the clubhouse: a respected voice, some skins on the wall, and the ability to lead by example."

Candidates: Jesse Chavez, Nelson Cruz, Sean Doolittle, Clayton Kershaw, Kyle Seager, Chris Taylor, Justin Verlander, Starling Marte

I strongly disagree about those players stars not being important. I also disagree with this being that big of a deal at this point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver's next need he mentioned was that of long term star power. Here are his candidates.

Candidates: Bryant, Correa, Kershaw, Ray, Rodón, Corey Seager, Story, Stroman

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levi Weaver has listed some needs the Rangers have and he gives some possibilities to fill those needs. The first need is one that always seems to be blown out of proportion, veteran leadership. He gives a list of players to consider. He says the following.

"To fill this particular need, the player’s projected stats in 2022 aren’t as important as the “intangibles” they’ll bring to the clubhouse: a respected voice, some skins on the wall, and the ability to lead by example."

Candidates: Jesse Chavez, Nelson Cruz, Sean Doolittle, Clayton Kershaw, Kyle Seager, Chris Taylor, Justin Verlander, Starling Marte

I strongly disagree about those players stars not being important. I also disagree with this being that big of a deal at this point.
Right or wrong the FO has mentioned vet leadership. Whoever they pick up I hope they are good I see where Kris B played 1B recently. He seems pretty happy to be with the Giants though

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right or wrong the FO has mentioned vet leadership. Whoever they pick up I hope they are good I see where Kris B played 1B recently. He seems pretty happy to be with the Giants though
Veterans are great to have if they have great stats. The only place you can afford to have a veteran leader who doesn't produce good stats is backup catcher. We may already have that in Trevino.