• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they did want to get it over they would have made some effort. they met twice: understand the 1st lasted 35 minutes and the 2nd was only for 10 minutes.
They can get this over with in about 1 day if they want to give away the farm but I'm positive that's not going to happen... :tsk:

I meant get it all over and done by the end of Jan at the latest and not screw up ST or shorten the season... :nod:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what CBS Sports had on the Rangers off season, to date:

team logo

Rangers
We have a simple rule for grading offseasons: if you sign two of that winter's top four free agents, you get an "A". The Rangers, by virtue of signing Corey Seager and Marcus Semien, get an "A". (Texas also inked Jon Gray and Kole Calhoun.)
Seager and Semien should prove to be huge boons for a lineup that was one of the worst in baseball last season. That established, it's fair to have skepticism about the Rangers competing next season -- at least as currently constructed. The pitching staff remains a mess, and Texas could use another outfielder.
The Rangers would appear to have around $20 million more to spend this offseason, so they ought to be able to address some of those aspects between now and Opening Day. GRADE: A
Hey stranger pull up a chair and stay awhile. Always good to have your opinion and knowledge.

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ideal rest offseason in order of want
Trade for Straw
Sign Kershaw
Sign Suzuki

That's going to cost more than 20m but I can hope

C - Heim/Trevino
1B - Lowe
2B - Semien
3B - Jung
SS - Seager
LF - Suzuki
CF - Straw
RF - Garcia
DH - Calhoun (but DH would be regularly rotated)

Kershaw, Gray, Hearn, Dunning, Alexy/Allard/Howard/Otto

I could see Otto and Howard functioning as long men out of the bullpen when needed (personally I think the bullpen is Otto's future), Alexy starting in AAA and Allard getting the first crack at the 5 spot

I would like Straw.. wonder what he would cost?
4 more years of team control and a very good ball player.
I’m sure he would cost a decent amount.
I’m not opposed to letting Adolis start in CF with Leody starting in AA/AAA.

It’s hard to find a true center fielder.
Maybe easier to grab a good COF

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they did want to get it over they would have made some effort. they met twice: understand the 1st lasted 35 minutes and the 2nd was only for 10 minutes.
As of this moment I think the biggest sticking points are: The time frames on Free Agency, Salary arbitration pay, Revenue Sharing and the $100M minimum team payroll, with the latter 2 being the big ones...

Revenue Sharing is what supposedly helps the smaller market teams stay afloat, without it you would probably see contraction which would screw alot of fans and alot of players...

To me the minimum payroll is dense as hell cause it would the bigger market teams to have to subsidize the smaller market ones even more, BTA that money is probably chump change to a few of the bigger teams soooo :noidea: You would also see inflated player salaries for no good reason it would be like a handout just for some of them breathing, and would cut down on the number of younger players getting their shot. And I doubt very much that it would increase competition across the league cause the players will know they're going to get their money no matter if they suck or not. (Now if the older players are greedy enough and lack enough integrity they'll jump all over this. and screw the younger players coming up through the system and the quality of the game for the fans)... :nod:

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this moment I think the biggest sticking points are: The time frames on Free Agency, Salary arbitration pay, Revenue Sharing and the $100M minimum team payroll, with the latter 2 being the big ones...

Revenue Sharing is what supposedly helps the smaller market teams stay afloat, without it you would probably see contraction which would screw alot of fans and alot of players...

To me the minimum payroll is dense as hell cause it would the bigger market teams to have to subsidize the smaller market ones even more, BTA that money is probably chump change to a few of the bigger teams soooo :noidea: You would also see inflated player salaries for no good reason it would be like a handout just for some of them breathing, and would cut down on the number of younger players getting their shot. And I doubt very much that it would increase competition across the league cause the players will know they're going to get their money no matter if they suck or not. (Now if the older players are greedy enough and lack enough integrity they'll jump all over this. and screw the younger players coming up through the system and the quality of the game for the fans)... :nod:

I agree. I don’t want a minimum payroll. It would result in just what you said, guys getting paid bigger contracts than they deserve just to satisfy the Rules.

I get the revenue sharing part, couldn’t have as productive/profitable league without those “poor teams”.

Just make it to where FA starts after 6 years of service time no matter what or 5 years of service/30 years old. Whichever happens first.
Make it to where if a player spends 65% of the year on the 26 man roster they get a full year of service time.
Change the rule 5 eligibility to age 25 regardless of when they were signed/drafted.
Tired of seeing foreign amateur free agents rushed to the 40 man before they’re ready so they aren’t exposed to the rule 5. I feel like some players get rushed before they’re ready and it derails their career:
Do a $850k minimum salary. Start arbitration after year 2.
Playoffs 12 teams. No 1 game wildcards. Make the 2 low wc play a 3 game series giving the 3 division winners and main wc a “bye”

Definitely get rid of the shift by having 2 fielders on either side of 2B on the dirt

Definitely do universal DH

Make the luxury tax threshold $230 million.

Stop penalizing teams for signing free agents
Still allow teams to gain an extra pick if they offer QO but don’t take it from the signing team.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can get this over with in about 1 day if they want to give away the farm but I'm positive that's not going to happen... :tsk:

I meant get it all over and done by the end of Jan at the latest and not screw up ST or shorten the season... :nod:
i will be surprised if they even meet by Jan 15

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely get rid of the shift by having 2 fielders on either side of 2B on the dirt

That is a tossup as to if it will happen or not but I would love to see it gone...
Definitely do universal DH

I'm pretty sure that will happen because the owners are amenable to it...
Make the luxury tax threshold $230 million.

That will probably happen...

Stop penalizing teams for signing free agents

Don't know if the smaller market teams would go for that since they depend on having more younger/cheaper players...

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do we do with Andy Ibanez?
DH?
I definitely want to see him get 450 AB

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what CBS Sports had on the Rangers off season, to date:

team logo

Rangers
We have a simple rule for grading offseasons: if you sign two of that winter's top four free agents, you get an "A". The Rangers, by virtue of signing Corey Seager and Marcus Semien, get an "A". (Texas also inked Jon Gray and Kole Calhoun.)
Seager and Semien should prove to be huge boons for a lineup that was one of the worst in baseball last season. That established, it's fair to have skepticism about the Rangers competing next season -- at least as currently constructed. The pitching staff remains a mess, and Texas could use another outfielder.
The Rangers would appear to have around $20 million more to spend this offseason, so they ought to be able to address some of those aspects between now and Opening Day. GRADE: A
Stop by more often.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would throw the players a bone by increasing the amount before the penalty tax hits. I think they have proposed going from $210 million to $214 million. Make it $225 and have that escalate each year of the CBA.

Get rid of revenue sharing and get rid of the draft pick penalty for signing a FA with a QO. Teams need to sink or swim.

Leave the draft as it is, with maybe the exception of limiting teams to a top 5 pick no more than 2 years in a row.

Adopt the DH for every team like should have happened a few decades ago.

Do not increase the number of teams in the postseason.

Keep arbitration as it is.

Make it harder for teams trying to game the system and gain an extra year before the player goes to arbitration.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Straw.. wonder what he would cost?
4 more years of team control and a very good ball player.
I’m sure he would cost a decent amount.
I’m not opposed to letting Adolis start in CF with Leody starting in AA/AAA.

It’s hard to find a true center fielder.
Maybe easier to grab a good COF
It's also the fact that he's a lead off hitter, which we really don't have right now

He'll cost some prospects, but nothing crazy

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranger party spoiled by CBA lock out. Wiki would have thunk? Typical Ranger fashion

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duck Allen was a force. HOF induction can be a joke unless you are a recognized member of country club. SMH