• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Re Owen White

This is the best Ranger SP prospects that come to mind. We will need offense for sure but if we get one SS and Suzuki it would be some very positive steps. This CBA is such a wild card on how things turn out

Leiter starting at Hickory has always made the most sense to me.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to take an opportunity to wish all of you guys a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

As sports fans we have a lot to be thankful for. We have local teams in all four major sports. I can remember when we only had the Cowboys. I am also thankful we get to come on here and discuss the Rangers.

Personally, I have a whole lot to be thankful for. God blessed our family with our 7th grandchild this year and He also provided a liver for my youngest son this summer.

Happy Thanksgivng!!!

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't recall anything about an extra year. Memory ain't what it used to be but my recollection is the value of the TEX offer was higher than the value of the PHI contract. Maybe it was 6 guaranteed with an option on the 7th? And PHI guaranteed the full 7?
I had forgotten about that too until I read a story a few days back that mentioned it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Re Owen White

This is the best Ranger SP prospects that come to mind. We will need offense for sure but if we get one SS and Suzuki it would be some very positive steps. This CBA is such a wild card on how things turn out
That would make me plenty happy. The only reason I mention Kershaw and Martinez is because I keep hearing that the Rangers want two starters. If they do get two starters, I think those two would be the best options, with our top pitching prospects ETA in mind.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. RHP Owen White, Rangers

Though the pitching was weak this fall, White stood out among the best arms in the league. A second-rounder in 2018, White didn’t throw a professional pitch until this season thanks to Tommy John surgery in 2019. He logged only nine starts and 35 innings in the regular season, mostly at Low-A, and posted a solid 3.24 ERA with a crazy 14.6 strikeouts per nine innings. He headed to the fall league to get more innings.

Though his walk and strikeout totals regressed — the latter especially should have been expected — White recorded a 1.91 ERA and 1.165 WHIP in six starts for the Surprise Saguaros. His four-seam fastball sat mostly 93-96 mph, and he displayed two good breaking balls, a slider and a curve. Both spin pitches prevented opposing hitters from sitting on his heater. And more than most fall league pitchers, who were clipped short for workload reasons, White managed to turn over lineups and log around five innings most starts.

Some scouts see him as a potential No. 3 or 4 starter in a big-league rotation. The Rangers have a lot of sneaky-good pitching in their system, one scout said, and White is “separating himself among those guys.”

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make me plenty happy. The only reason I mention Kershaw and Martinez is because I keep hearing that the Rangers want two starters. If they do get two starters, I think those two would be the best options, with our top pitching prospects ETA in mind.
Yes I am less picky about a starter because these next two years we will be still trying to make impact

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said J Gray will command a similar contract to Matt. He might be good pick up. Bridge a couple of years and or maybe flip.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said J Gray will command a similar contract to Matt. He might be good pick up. Bridge a couple of years and or maybe flip.
How many years? He has been projected to get 4.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 3 or 4
It it takes that length then I hope we don't get him.

After looking at his numbers, I don't want him for even a year. Stroman will be a much better pitcher for the length of the contract that Gray probably gets.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Heyman tweets that the Mets would have matched the four-year, $44MM offer from St. Louis but were never afforded the opportunity."

Yeah, you have to offer more if you really want him.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It it takes that length then I hope we don't get him.

After looking at his numbers, I don't want him for even a year. Stroman will be a much better pitcher for the length of the contract that Gray probably gets
Thinking pitching at Coors inflated his numbers.
To me he might be reasonable for now as I think we need some brigade pitching at least this year

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking pitching at Coors inflated his numbers.
To me he might be reasonable for now as I think we need some brigade pitching at least this year
His splits point to the opposite being the case. He was over a run better at home.

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m not to fond of a 4 year contract for a guy like Jon Gray at the moment.
If the team was very solid and our prospects very thin and we absolutely needed a solid innings eating 4th/5th starter then by all means.
But at this point I just want 1-2 year guys unless it’s one of the top guys like Gausman/Ray/Stroman. Even then I’m leery.

Thats why I wouldn’t mind Kershaw on a 1-2 year deal if he’s healthy. Or trading for Sonny Gray. I wouldn’t mind Nick Martinez either.

At the start of the off-season I was hoping we could get a guy like Matz, Desclafani or Wood on a 2/$30 $15 mill a year type deal but it’s obviously not happening.

Who knows… maybe the front office has some really smart guys that have analyzed all the available starters and have identified a few guys that can be had cheap/short term that they can help pitch better. Wether it be dropping a pitch or throwing a pitch more often.
I’ve seen a lot of pitchers have success after doing things like that.
Dropping the 2 seamer and throwing the change up a lot less while throwing the 4 seamer up in the zone and the slider down and away or down and in.