• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not to fond of a 4 year contract for a guy like Jon Gray at the moment.
If the team was very solid and our prospects very thin and we absolutely needed a solid innings eating 4th/5th starter then by all means.
But at this point I just want 1-2 year guys unless it’s one of the top guys like Gausman/Ray/Stroman. Even then I’m leery.

Thats why I wouldn’t mind Kershaw on a 1-2 year deal if he’s healthy. Or trading for Sonny Gray. I wouldn’t mind Nick Martinez either.

At the start of the off-season I was hoping we could get a guy like Matz, Desclafani or Wood on a 2/$30 $15 mill a year type deal but it’s obviously not happening.

Who knows… maybe the front office has some really smart guys that have analyzed all the available starters and have identified a few guys that can be had cheap/short term that they can help pitch better. Wether it be dropping a pitch or throwing a pitch more often.
I’ve seen a lot of pitchers have success after doing things like that.
Dropping the 2 seamer and throwing the change up a lot less while throwing the 4 seamer up in the zone and the slider down and away or down and in.
I just want a bridge to our top 5

Leiter, Vanasco, Winn, White, and Roby.

The bridge can include Dunning, Hearn, Alexy, and Allard in 2022; Henriguez and Kent in 2023. It can also include free agents on one or two year contracts.

Reactions: DTC

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want a bridge to our top 5

Leiter, Vanasco, Winn, White, and Roby.

The bridge can include Dunning, Hearn, Alexy, and Allard in 2022; Henriguez and Kent in 2023. It can also include free agents on one or two year contracts.
maybe we should just re-sign Jordan Lyles and just go with what we got.

oh and Happy Thanksgiving everybody

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m curious if Jon Gray is one of those guys the Rangers scouting department has identified as someone who could see a huge boost in production with a few tweaks

He seems to profile similar to Lance Lynn.
Fastball/Slider 85-90 % of the time.
Velocity around the same on the fastball.
What makes Lance Lynn’s fastball more unhittable than Grays? Location or movement?
Pitch selection/better scouting of opposing hitters?(more of a team/catcher thing)

Is it possibly Jon Gray could see his production go way up with a slight change?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m curious if Jon Gray is one of those guys the Rangers scouting department has identified as someone who could see a huge boost in production with a few tweaks

He seems to profile similar to Lance Lynn.
Fastball/Slider 85-90 % of the time.
Velocity around the same on the fastball.
What makes Lance Lynn’s fastball more unhittable than Grays? Location or movement?
Pitch selection/better scouting of opposing hitters?(more of a team/catcher thing)

Is it possibly Jon Gray could see his production go way up with a slight change?
That is a gamble that is only worth taking with a one year contract.

Personally, I would feel about the same if we sign Gray as I felt last year when we signed Arihara. I would be expecting an ERA of about 5.00.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I would feel about the same if we sign Gray as I felt last year when we signed Arihara. I would be expecting an ERA of about 5.00.

Yeah, I’d rather trade for 1-2 years of Sonny than go 4 for Jon.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t mind Sonny Gray, but ouch, not at that price.
AJ Alexy shouldn’t be included in any deal unless we’re getting a legit SP.

I wouldn’t mind IKF, Brett Martin and one of Sborz, Leclerc, Hernandez or Spencer Patton.

Or IKF, Wendzel and Avery Weems or something like that.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hyperbole much. Gray has talent Arihara basically has a guaranteed minimum contract and has looked terrible
He is no horse of mine though although he is an adequate pickup as a bridge and they are going to do it and need to do it to protect our pitching.

Not much of a gamble.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t mind Sonny Gray, but ouch, not at that price.
AJ Alexy shouldn’t be included in any deal unless we’re getting a legit SP.

I wouldn’t mind IKF, Brett Martin and one of Sborz, Leclerc, Hernandez or Spencer Patton.

Or IKF, Wendzel and Avery Weems or something like that.

Trading assets for Gray makes no sense unless you are going to flip him given our window

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading assets for Gray makes no sense unless you are going to flip him given our window

I wouldn’t mind trading guys like IKF and Brett Martin who aren’t part of the future for a bridge to our top pitching prospects

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyperbole much. Gray has talent Arihara basically has a guaranteed minimum contract and has looked terrible
He is no horse of mine though although he is an adequate pickup as a bridge and they are going to do it and need to do it to protect our pitching.

Not much of a gamble.
No, no hyperbole at all. I don't want to sign a guy who has a National League ERA that high for 4 years.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no hyperbole at all. I don't want to sign a guy who has a National League ERA that high for 4 years.
Comparing him to Arihara is a total stretch but yes I think he is 4 is too much. 3 would be a max.
Honestly he is about last on my wish list regardless. Ready to move along

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing him to Arihara is a total stretch but yes I think he is 4 is too much. 3 would be a max.
Honestly he is about last on my wish list regardless. Ready to move along
I compared what I expect of him to what I expected from Arihara because when we acquired Arihara I said I expected him to have an ERA of 5.00. That is what I expect from Jon Gray too, an ERA of 5.00.

Maybe I am odd, but I usually think 5.00 equals 5.00.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably around 5.00 or greater.

Hearn, Allard, Cody, Phillips, and Dunning are all very close. By this time next year there will be at least 3 or 4 more guys who are very close.

Alihara is a 5.00 ERA pitcher at best. We didn't need to sign a guy to a 2 uear deal to get that.

If we sign Jon Gray, I think he is a 5.00 ERA pitcher at best for us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t mind trading guys like IKF and Brett Martin who aren’t part of the future for a bridge to our top pitching prospects
Why not trade them for someone to help us in the future? That sounds like a much better plan to me. There will be FA pitchers who can eat innings this coming year. It is not a given that we will need anyone past 2022 to eat innings. We just need them in 2022 because we have so many young pitchers who can't throw more than 150 innings or so in 2022.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not trade them for someone to help us in the future? That sounds like a much better plan to me. There will be FA pitchers who can eat innings this coming year. It is not a given that we will need anyone past 2022 to eat innings. We just need them in 2022 because we have so many young pitchers who can't throw more than 150 innings or so in 2022.

I would much rather sign a guy than trade away guys. I’m just keeping my eyes open on who’s available. The pitching market seems to be drying up fast.

Maybe Tyler Anderson or Nick Martinez to eat some innings.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather sign a guy than trade away guys. I’m just keeping my eyes open on who’s available. The pitching market seems to be drying up fast.

Maybe Tyler Anderson or Nick Martinez to eat some innings.
If we can get Kershaw and Martinez that would be fantastic. One would be enough probably.

Reactions: DTC