• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get Kershaw and Martinez that would be fantastic. One would be enough probably.
i don't want Martinez. i understand he did good in Japan but i just remember how bad he was here

pf we go 2 FA starter then make it good

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This proposal (Leody Taveras, AJ Alexy and Nick Solak) for Sonny Gray reminds me of the Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young trade.

I wouldn’t want to do it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This proposal (Leody Taveras, AJ Alexy and Nick Solak) for Sonny Gray reminds me of the Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young trade.

I wouldn’t want to do it.

Man, you need to quit reading what that nolanwritin guy puts out. Lol

Reactions: DTC

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interest in Kershaw at the price he will want. He can't stay healthy enough these days, to make enough starts to warrant the $. No need to trade assets to get a guy that won't help enough to make the postseason like Sonny Gray. Stay the course on the rebuild, sign a mid-tier FA pitcher and some offense which is desperately needed and dont waste $ on a guy that will be hurt half the season.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interest in Kershaw at the price he will want. He can't stay healthy enough these days, to make enough starts to warrant the $. No need to trade assets to get a guy that won't help enough to make the postseason like Sonny Gray. Stay the course on the rebuild, sign a mid-tier FA pitcher and some offense which is desperately needed and dont waste $ on a guy that will be hurt half the season.
Perhaps Kershaw is more a clubhouse and marketing move in the owners and the FO minds.

Me I don’t really care but yes we desperately need a couple of bats for starters that we can retain. And we do need bridge pitching.

Going to be quite a few players non tendered and released in the next few days and then our attention will be turned to the lockout we hope won’t be too extended.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if i read everyone's posts correctly, we have now shifted back to the "only sign pitchers etc that we can sign to 1 or 2 year deals and then unload at the trade deadline" way of thinking. am i wrong with this understanding?

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if i read everyone's posts correctly, we have now shifted back to the "only sign pitchers etc that we can sign to 1 or 2 year deals and then unload at the trade deadline" way of thinking. am i wrong with this understanding?

I’m ok with either/or, a 1-2 year cheap pitcher or a 5 year ACE.

If we get one of Gausman/Stroman/Rodon/Ray I will be happy.
If not one of them I don’t want to sign Jon Gray to a 4 year deal, I’m glad we didn’t sign Matz to that 4 year deal.

Either an ACE or a short term bridge.
I don’t want to overpay for a #3/4 starter on a long term deal considering all the pitching we have coming up.

Now, if we had a very strong team and a depleted farm system with little pitching on the way over the next few years and needed some #4-5 guy to eat innings I would be ok with Jon Gray or Matz..

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If not one of them I don’t want to sign Jon Gray to a 4 year deal, I’m glad we didn’t sign Matz to that 4 year deal.

I don’t want to overpay for a #3/4 starter on a long term deal considering all the pitching we have coming up.

Now, if we had a very strong team and a depleted farm system with little pitching on the way over the next few years and needed some #4-5 guy to eat innings I would be ok with Jon Gray or Matz..
this i can agree with. i don't want to sign to continue the BS of signing low level FA pitching to one or two year deals with the first thought being maybe we can trade them at the trade deadline for something. personally it is time for the Rangers to make logical moves that get us to the next level and adding crap isn't that move. over the next 2 or 3 years we have some outstanding projectional talent coming our way but they will need time once they get to the mlb level to develop their full potential and having strong talent to guide them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myself, I would rather wait and trade for an ace when we have a chance to go to the WS. If they have to go get a free agent ace, I would rather wait until next offseason, hoping that we don't have to give up a draft choice for doing so.

The reason I like Kershaw is because of the off chance that he regains his form while here on a short term deal and we can convince him to sign a longer deal. If it doesn't work out then nothing was lost as they can certainly afford him over the next couple of years.

I think there is a very good chance we may already have an ace in our system.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson says:

"Which takes us to the five big-name free-agent shortstops, all of whom remain available. The Rangers have met or held conversations with at least four of them, including giving local boy Trevor Story a tour of Globe Life Field."

"The other three are Corey Seager, Marcus Semien and Carlos Correa. That leaves Javier Baez, the only one who doesn’t have a qualifying offer attached to him. It’s unclear if the Rangers have contacted him."

Sounds like Story is in the lead and Baez is last. That seems to be what everyone has been expecting though. I am a little surprised that Story is the only one to be brought in for a visit. Makes me wonder if he would have done so had he not lived just a few miles away.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not exactly a strike but same difference

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still think they are going Corea. This is their plan B unless things drag out

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Conversely

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the likeliest suitors for Correa

4. Rangers

Texas seems to be hinting that it is going to spend this offseason, though local kid Trevor Story might be a better short-term fit. Then again: What business do the Rangers have thinking short-term? If they want to get back to the top of the American League West, they’re going to need stars, and Correa is a big one. And it’d have extra oomph stealing him from their in-state rivals.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson ranks our SS prospects. The top one is Josh Smith.

Josh Smith

The least-known of the Rangers’ top prospects is Smith, who came to them in the Joey Gallo trade and finished his season at Double A Frisco. He will make a push for the Rangers’ roster this season, even if they sign a free-agent shortstop.

Smith is a left-handed hitter who makes a ton of contact, like Kiner-Falefa, but swings mostly at pitches in the strike zone. That translates into a higher on-base percentage, more hard contact and more power than Kiner-Falefa.

Smith played for four teams in 2021, batting no lower than .294 at any stop. He finished with 13 homers, 20 doubles and 26 steals. He’s just a solid player who will become more versatile.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still-waiting-where-are-you.gif

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson ranks our SS prospects. The top one is Josh Smith.

Josh Smith

The least-known of the Rangers’ top prospects is Smith, who came to them in the Joey Gallo trade and finished his season at Double A Frisco. He will make a push for the Rangers’ roster this season, even if they sign a free-agent shortstop.

Smith is a left-handed hitter who makes a ton of contact, like Kiner-Falefa, but swings mostly at pitches in the strike zone. That translates into a higher on-base percentage, more hard contact and more power than Kiner-Falefa.

Smith played for four teams in 2021, batting no lower than .294 at any stop. He finished with 13 homers, 20 doubles and 26 steals. He’s just a solid player who will become more versatile.
interesting but four teams in 2021 is suspect

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring on JD Davis