• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if that warm body stinks at the position?
Ha. Yes. He may cost us runs and a few games through the year, but better than having the best player at the position for 7 years and blocking the org depth we just invested heavily in.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD and idiots are words that do not belong together

That's your opinion, and everyone is entitled to be wrong. JD is somehow still living on the Tex deal and little to nothing else. I guess getting Yu is a feather he has. Getting Cliff Lee I'll give him as well. There is just about nothing else he had done right to make this team a contender. We are to the point we hope to be competitive, no thoughts of winning it all.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's your opinion, and everyone is entitled to be wrong. JD is somehow still living on the Tex deal and little to nothing else. I guess getting Yu is a feather he has. Getting Cliff Lee I'll give him as well. There is just about nothing else he had done right to make this team a contender. We are to the point we hope to be competitive, no thoughts of winning it all.

Ha. Entitlement is a two way street at times
It is all a matter of perspective. He is heads and shoulders above past GMs of Rangers, was innovative in the international market and is building up the farm again. Of course he has made mistakes and has disappointed even me. I did want Rendon but picking up Minor, Lynn and Kluber are not the acts of an idiot. MLB clubs must think highly of him as his underlings have been coveted. But yes this is probably his last bite at the apple if we don’t return to high form.
And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion even on this board

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to take back some salary to make it work. They might want to get other teams lined up to make it all work.

Good thought. I hate to lose Jung though despite how good Rendon has looked. BTW. Still holding hope for Palumbo. He has the look of no fear in him. Maybe just a bit more seasoning is what he needs

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all a matter of perspective. He is heads and shoulders above past GMs of Rangers, was innovative in the international market and is building up the farm again. Of course he has made mistakes and has disappointed even me. I did want Rendon but picking up Minor, Lynn and Kluber are not the acts of an idiot. MLB clubs must think highly of him as his underlings have been coveted. But yes this is probably his last bite at the apple if we don’t return to high form.

Failure to resolve the Odor/Choo ordeal has done more to blemish his job than his failure to land the big fish. Why would he be expected to build the team while at the same time he allows the Odor fiasco.:L

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I can't speak for you or anyone else, but I'm going to go ahead and say that signing Adrian Beltre should be in the "things JD has done right" category.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Yes. He may cost us runs and a few games through the year, but better than having the best player at the position for 7 years and blocking the org depth we just invested heavily in.
We have Jung, Wentzel and Apostel so 1 or 2 are going to be blocked naturally by the other. Apostel could move to 1st but if not we're probably facing trading one or 2 of them before they are ready for the big leagues anyway. It is the natural progression of baseball.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can't speak for you or anyone else, but I'm going to go ahead and say that signing Adrian Beltre should be in the "things JD has done right" category.
One for SUPER PETER O:clap:

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Failure to resolve the Odor/Choo ordeal has done more to blemish his job than his failure to land the big fish. Why would he be expected to build the team while at the same time he allows the Odor fiasco.:L

This... Odor is absolutely the worst infielder with his salary. Brings nothing from the plate or the field. Time to move on from JD and his mistakes.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Jung, Wentzel and Apostel so 1 or 2 are going to be blocked naturally by the other. Apostel could move to 1st but if not we're probably facing trading one or 2 of them before they are ready for the big leagues anyway. It is the natural progression of baseball.
Keep the best and trade the rest is my motto when it comes to guys who could play here long term. Keep Apostel and Jung and trade Wendzel at some point. Not necessarily now though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thought. I hate to lose Jung though despite how good Rendon has looked. BTW. Still holding hope for Palumbo. He has the look of no fear in him. Maybe just a bit more seasoning is what he needs
I am not trading Huff, Crouse, Winn, Vanasco, Henriquez, Palumbo, Seise, Cody or those kids we just signed earlier this year. I would also like to keep one of Allard or Burke. Those guys are the ones I am hoping makes up our core in 2 -3 years along with Gallo, Calhoun, and maybe Santana. With Elvis along for leadership.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This... Odor is absolutely the worst infielder with his salary. Brings nothing from the plate or the field. Time to move on from JD and his mistakes.

Yay more hyperbole with no facts! But you played little league so we should trust your opinion?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trading Huff, Crouse, Winn, Vanasco, Henriquez, Palumbo, Seise, Cody or those kids we just signed earlier this year. I would also like to keep one of Allard or Burke. Those guys are the ones I am hoping makes up our core in 2 -3 years along with Gallo, Calhoun, and maybe Santana. With Elvis along for leadership.

Still burning that candle for Seise?

Agreed about Huff, Crouse and Henriquez though

Everyone else meh... never even heard of Vanasco

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Picking up Minor and Lynn were finger crossing hopes. Just like Smyly and other spares that haven't panned out. If he were smart he would be selling high before they regress to their mean. That's how you restock the farm system.

Instead he keeps selling the idea that "we can compete with this roster" when everyone knows we can't. So the result is year after year of draft picks between 9 and 15 and never really getting better. No one wants to be average every year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that too. so 4 good things in over a decade. Not good.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay more hyperbole with no facts! But you played little league so we should trust your opinion?
Um, he’s not wrong. I mean, technically it’s hyperbole because Chris Davis is worse. But Rougned Odor finished DEAD LAST among all major league qualified batters in 2019 in both batting average and on base percentage. And even with his “slugging” factored in, he had the 12th worst OPS in baseball last year. He was also a -0.3 WAR in the field. And he made over $8 Million.

Again, Chris Davis was worse from a WAR perspective and especially from a value standpoint. And perhaps if you cross-referenced all stat lists with salary lists you could find a few others as bad or worse than Rougie.

But he was at the bottom of the barrel now matter how you slice it. He was awful.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still burning that candle for Seise?

Agreed about Huff, Crouse and Henriquez though

Everyone else meh... never even heard of Vanasco
Regarding Seose. Not really, but he isn't worth anything right now anyway. Let's see how she plays this year and I may not care any longer. I am not holding my breath at this point.

Some see Winn as better than Crouse. Vanasco turned a lot of heads this year. You will hear a lot more about him in 2020 if he stays healthy.

I was not trying to imply that all of those guys are on the same plane. They are just the ones above my cutoff point for trades.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Kinsler has retired.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this decade began, I couldn't understand why people couldn't let JD's early mistakes go and realize he had been doing much better. Now, at the end of the decade, just the opposite is true. Folks can"t let the successes from the earlier part of this decade go and realize we have struggled a lot because of JD over the past few years.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you really think Colorado would take Odor and Choo in any trade offer? no matter how much money we threw in. that trade offer would be dead before JD finished offering it.
Indeed. Odor’s contract is toxic.