• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people buy sports teams to make money

they just got gifted $500 million by taxpayers to build a new stadium where the crappy seats cost $75 a pop. People will show up because of the air conditioning. They're gonna be rolling in the dough.
Most of this is spot-on, particularly about them rolling in dough. But, there are a select number of owners out there who care more about winning than huge profits. And buying a sports franchise isn’t always the best way to make money. It all depends on the market and the situation. Some teams are cash cows. Others barely operate in the red.

I think what’s got everyone so livid about Simpson and Davis is that they have been lying about their intentions since day 1. They won over the fanbase during the auction process because they positioned themselves as the owners who cared about winning and maintaining a respectable payroll. They conned the Arlington taxpayers into building a billion dollar stadium because it would “help us attract top free agents”. But they’ve done NOTHING but slash payroll and refuse to sign one single top free agent during their time as owners. The one exception was Choo, and that burned them. So the team tells everyone that they’re going to be very active in the top free agent market. They release new uniforms. They promise all kinds of fan fare for the opening season for the new stadium. And then they turn right around and do what they’ve been doing for years- sign bargain basement guys and hope for the best.

People don’t like being lied to. If you’re gonna go bargain basement and operate as a profits machine instead of as a contender, at least be upfront about your intentions like the A’s, Royals, and Rays do.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of this is spot-on, particularly about them rolling in dough. But, there are a select number of owners out there who care more about winning than huge profits. And buying a sports franchise isn’t always the best way to make money. It all depends on the market and the situation. Some teams are cash cows. Others barely operate in the red.

I think what’s got everyone so livid about Simpson and Davis is that they have been lying about their intentions since day 1. They won over the fanbase during the auction process because they positioned themselves as the owners who cared about winning and maintaining a respectable payroll. They conned the Arlington taxpayers into building a billion dollar stadium because it would “help us attract top free agents”. But they’ve done NOTHING but slash payroll and refuse to sign one single top free agent during their time as owners. The one exception was Choo, and that burned them. So the team tells everyone that they’re going to be very active in the top free agent market. They release new uniforms. They promise all kinds of fan fare for the opening season for the new stadium. And then they turn right around and do what they’ve been doing for years- sign bargain basement guys and hope for the best.

People don’t like being lied to. If you’re gonna go bargain basement and operate as a profits machine instead of as a contender, at least be upfront about your intentions like the A’s, Royals, and Rays do.

That’s what also is extremely frustrating. The last sentence of your post. Simpson and Davis run this team like we’re Tampa bay or Cleveland. The team has the Dallas Cowboys as their freaking neighbors! DFW has plenty of money to support the team.

money shouldn’t be a problem.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue is owners treat this like Big Business vs having a love affair with he fanbase. Cuban moves may be bad as well as arrogance of Jimmy but they really want to win.

Does not look like Rangers ownership want this. Perhaps they are poised to sell. Value probably at highest point

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really hate to overpay at first base IMO. Losing prospects currency does not thrill me at this point. Would rather use for an elite pitcher if the time is right but all messed up now

Looks like trying to make best out of bad situation. Could easily be seen as rhetoric unfortunately

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue is owners treat this like Big Business vs having a love affair with he fanbase. Cuban moves may be bad as well as arrogance of Jimmy but they really want to win.

Does not look like Rangers ownership want this. Perhaps they are poised to sell. Value probably at highest point
I would love for Cuban and Greenburg to lead a group of buyers. Then come in and clean house and reevaluate everything.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preach it Scotty. Preach it.
Sorry you're right I have gotten too passionate on this subject but now they are dropping out on Donaldson because they don't want to have bid on him. If they don't want to bid on him why would they have placed a legitimate bin on Rendon? They were never legitimately participates

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really hate to overpay at first base IMO. Losing prospects currency does not thrill me at this point. Would rather use for an elite pitcher if the time is right but all messed up now

Looks like trying to make best out of bad situation. Could easily be seen as rhetoric unfortunately
Castellanos might be a good move, but it would have to be the first of many moves to get us back to where we need to be. I just don't trust this group to make a series of good moves.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry you're right I have gotten too passionate on this subject but now they are dropping out on Donaldson because they don't want to have bid on him. If they don't want to bid on him why would they have placed a legitimate bin on Rendon? They were never legitimately participates
No. I was kldding you. You are right.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What did he mean by this?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is days like this that remind me that trophies on this planet are overrated

Still like to see a WSC before I kick the bucket

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What did he mean by this?
I took it to mea He thinks the Rangers honestly thought he could be had with a contract shorter than 7 years.

I think if they misread anything, it was the fans reaction when they decided to offer Rendon just enough to be turned down.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize I'm probably alone on this hill, but $35m/year for 7 years is an overpay for Rendon, and would have hated for the Rangers to pull the trigger on that. The only way that move makes sense is if the Rangers are a piece or two away from seriously contending, and they are nowhere near that.

I think its less the fact that we got outbid, 7 for 245 is very steep and dangerous, its the fact that they didn't offer 7 years, which was stated as the starting point from the get go

If everyone else that's serious is offering 7 years and you're sticking to 5, then you're not trying, you're just trying to drum up interest in the team, disingenuous interest

End of the day, its not the failure to get Rendon that hurts, its the fact that fans feel betrayed by our own team's dishonesty

I can't fault the team for Cliff Lee, he had his reason to go to Philly, but I felt like we at least put a competitive offer on the table and Lee had to choose,

Rangers ownership is behaving like a bunch of used car salesmen

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a large market team with small market tendencies.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Almost nobody wants Donaldson, and after losing out on Rendon, would've almost been a slap in the face to many fans, I know signing Donaldson would've made me angrier at this point

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost Mazara, kept Choo and lost out on Rendon in a matter of 2 days, yay offseason, just waiting on the inevitable Minor/Lynn trade at this point

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of speculation this off season out the window. Goes to show that nothing is ever certain until the ink is on the bottom line and dry.