• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked Pereda when I read about him the other day. I believe he was one of the ones you brought up last month as well.

He was one of the catchers that was available in the rule v but i didn't like him as much as others when i read about him

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you meant relevant but honestly i have no idea, a lot can happen between now and then
I really hope we do something whether its trading resources etc or signing some pitching that isn't recovering from TJ surgery

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope we do something whether its trading resources etc or signing some pitching that isn't recovering from TJ surgery

I think its more re-apportioning resources, we're still acquiring resources at this point, we're just trying to deal from positions of strength (ex: LHB COFs) and apply them to positions of weakness (ex: SP)

Most FA pitching we're getting is of the low risk, high reward, stopgap variety right now, i.e. Oakland A's last year, minus Manaea, most of them were off the scrap heap or no name guys (Jackson, Cahill, Anderson)

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I should be ready for spring training. I should be ready before that, actually,” Seise said. “At first I thought it was really tough, being pretty young and having surgery pretty quick. But, now, it’s been a learning experience. I’ll be stronger and more mature when I go into my first full season.”

“Everything feels phenomenal,” said Ragans, who was ranked as the Rangers’ No. 10 prospect by the Star-Telegram.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule shift? Joey Gallo's 'Christmas wish' would change the game for Rangers, MLB if granted

Last week, Hall of Fame baseball writer Jayson Stark wrote a piece about the possible end of shifting. Gallo retweeted the link and added to the top: “All I want for Christmas.”

The next day, St. Louis’ Matt Carpenter, the only player shifted more than Gallo, chimed in: “I’d fly to the North Pole with you and ask Santa in person.”

Gallo liked and retweeted the link.

To some, the idea of banning shifts to create more offense is a lazy way of addressing things. If a defense shifts, it creates other opportunities for an offense. It’s just up to the hitter to take advantage. And, no, we’re not talking about bunts.

New Rangers manager Chris Woodward doesn’t want Gallo to change his approach to beat the shift, per se. But he does want him to be aware of the situation.

“It's not that I want him to hit a ground ball to left field,” Woodward said. “When the situation calls for it, runner on second, two outs and there's nobody on the left side of the field, if he hits a ball off his left index finger, it's not a bad move, because he's going to get a base hit and we're going to score runs. He understood that. I don't want to define him as a, Hey, you've got to beat the shift every time.”

Gallo also understands that his Christmas wish is mostly just some self-deprecating humor. At least for now.

He took some time Tuesday to talk about his stance on the shift, but it came after his second hitting session with new instructor Luis Ortiz. They weren’t working on increasing his launch angle as they were on creating a shorter swing for him to use with two strikes to extend at-bats. Truth: If Gallo is a little more effective with two strikes, it could be as significant an improvement for him as a change in the rules.

“I’m working on things to get better for next season,” he said. “And that’s with the shift still in place. I’m not counting on anything.”

But before the winter is over, he just might change the game.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happ to NYY isn't a done deal, but if the 3 year contract is the sticking point, then the Rangers are probably out of it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next offseason may be better than this one, but the real fun doesn't come until two offseasons from now. The willingness to go two years on the pitching contracts and not three years pulls the curtain back just a little bit so we can figure out what they are planning for.

I know that is the best way to go, but it sure makes the winter meetings painful for us. Hang in there guys.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule shift? Joey Gallo's 'Christmas wish' would change the game for Rangers, MLB if granted

Last week, Hall of Fame baseball writer Jayson Stark wrote a piece about the possible end of shifting. Gallo retweeted the link and added to the top: “All I want for Christmas.”

The next day, St. Louis’ Matt Carpenter, the only player shifted more than Gallo, chimed in: “I’d fly to the North Pole with you and ask Santa in person.”

Gallo liked and retweeted the link.

To some, the idea of banning shifts to create more offense is a lazy way of addressing things. If a defense shifts, it creates other opportunities for an offense. It’s just up to the hitter to take advantage. And, no, we’re not talking about bunts.

New Rangers manager Chris Woodward doesn’t want Gallo to change his approach to beat the shift, per se. But he does want him to be aware of the situation.

“It's not that I want him to hit a ground ball to left field,” Woodward said. “When the situation calls for it, runner on second, two outs and there's nobody on the left side of the field, if he hits a ball off his left index finger, it's not a bad move, because he's going to get a base hit and we're going to score runs. He understood that. I don't want to define him as a, Hey, you've got to beat the shift every time.”

Gallo also understands that his Christmas wish is mostly just some self-deprecating humor. At least for now.

He took some time Tuesday to talk about his stance on the shift, but it came after his second hitting session with new instructor Luis Ortiz. They weren’t working on increasing his launch angle as they were on creating a shorter swing for him to use with two strikes to extend at-bats. Truth: If Gallo is a little more effective with two strikes, it could be as significant an improvement for him as a change in the rules.

“I’m working on things to get better for next season,” he said. “And that’s with the shift still in place. I’m not counting on anything.”

But before the winter is over, he just might change the game.
Didn't he say the same thing last year. And he batted .206 with over 200 strikeouts again. Maybe if he would go the other way once in awhile, the other teams might not put all the fielders on the right side.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pure rhetoric....Morton signs with Rays.

Would like us to invest in something but alas probably need a 3 year deal to show what we think of our team and it’s fut

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure rhetoric....Morton signs with Rays.

Would like us to invest in something but alas probably need a 3 year deal to show what we think of our team and it’s fut
It's being reported it's 2 years for 30 million.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect as usual, the winter meetings will end with the Rangers doing nothing.