• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect and perhaps this was a joke but how are Rangers to send a guy that old to the minors? There are rules right?
He was
No disrespect and perhaps this was a joke but how are Rangers to send a guy that old to the minors? There are rules right?
Sorry I assumed it was minor league deal obviously not which just proves the Rangers intent to tank

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was

Sorry I assumed it was minor league deal obviously not which just proves the Rangers intent to tank
Let's see who the starter is and who the backup is. Then we will know if it is simply rebuilding or tanking while we rebuild.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see who the starter is and who the backup is. Then we will know if it is simply rebuilding or tanking while we rebuild.
No intent to tank. Rebuild is all and he knows better.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I thought based on what IKF did in 2018 that he would be the backup so does this mean that the Rangers are planning on Mathis being the primary backstop

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis was brought in to set a precedent for defense up the middle and aid in the development of young pitchers and catchers.

IMO there is only so much a coach can bring to the table bit a good catcher can manage in game situations on a pitch to pitch basis. If we are to improve offensively then players like Mazara, Odor, Gallo and Guzman must do better.

With a two year contract, Mathis is only a bridge irregardless

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis was brought in to set a precedent for defense up the middle and aid in the development of young pitchers and catchers.

IMO there is only so much a coach can bring to the table bit a good catcher can manage in game situations on a pitch to pitch basis. If we are to improve offensively then players like Mazara, Odor, Gallo and Guzman must do better.

With a two year contract, Mathis is only a bridge irregardless
I've say it before and i'll say it again: if the Rangers are rebuilding then going with Trevino and IKF at catcher makes more sense than wasting a roster spot on a Mathis. I don't care what Mathis brings behind the plate it serves no future purpose for this team

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've say it before and i'll say it again: if the Rangers are rebuilding then going with Trevino and IKF at catcher makes more sense than wasting a roster spot on a Mathis. I don't care what Mathis brings behind the plate it serves no future purpose for this team
You might think different if Trevino and IKF don;t pan out.
So you don't think Mathis can offer development to young prospect like Trevino? Have you even considered that IKF might be traded or win a starting position?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might think different if Trevino and IKF don;t pan out.
So you don't think Mathis can offer development to young prospect like Trevino? Have you even considered that IKF might be traded or win a starting position?
if you don't give them the opportunity you won't know if they will pan out or not. that is part of the developmental program the Rangers should be employing

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you don't give them the opportunity you won't know if they will pan out or not. that is part of the developmental program the Rangers should be employing
C'mon Scottie. If either one goes down for any reason another catcher is needed. We need to carry two catchers and IKF, a UIF.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trevino was injured and doubt he will make it on the 25 man roster out of ST. We might even grab another catcher on a one year contract who gets the bulk of work.

As DT states IKF may be a catcher in training and more likely a super utility IF. They let Alberto go and if Profar plays 3B who subs at SS?

IMO development is more then just giving guys a shot. It is taking on MLB skills which Mathis might impart.

Trashing this pick up because it blocks a guy like Trevino is ill informed. No one thinks this pick up was because Rangers are in win now mode

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Scottie. If either one goes down for any reason another catcher is needed. We need to carry two catchers and IKF, a UIF.
in a full developmental program if we carry 2 catchers and IKF then you bring up the next ready player from the minors which is Morgan and team them with Trevino and IKF. carrying Mathis does not make any sense in my book

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevino was injured and doubt he will make it on the 25 man roster out of ST. We might even grab another catcher on a one year contract who gets the bulk of work.

As DT states IKF may be a catcher in training and more likely a super utility IF. They let Alberto go and if Profar plays 3B who subs at SS?

IMO development is more then just giving guys a shot. It is taking on MLB skills which Mathis might impart.

Trashing this pick up because it blocks a guy like Trevino is ill informed. No one thinks this pick up was because Rangers are in win now mode
I don't think we are in a win now mode either. I think we should be in a full rebuild mode during the season finding out what we have. use the 2019 season as a training board

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in a full developmental program if we carry 2 catchers and IKF then you bring up the next ready player from the minors which is Morgan and team them with Trevino and IKF. carrying Mathis does not make any sense in my book
And who is that ready player? It is not going to be Morgan b/c he is not ready.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Morgan won't see the light of day in MLB next year and is not the next man up. Rangers added Bandy who will start at catcher in Nashville. He is your minor league depth.

Morgan is a long shot to be added to the 40 man and may not even get an invite to ST

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I thought based on what IKF did in 2018 that he would be the backup so does this mean that the Rangers are planning on Mathis being the primary backstop
I guess that is yet to be determined.

As far as if they are tanking or not, I do think how much they use Mathis will give us a glimpse. Trading Minor could be another indication.

Tanking, like many other things, can be done in degrees. To me, not being concerned with the number of wins is one version of tanking. Purposely trying to lose as many games as possible is on the other extreme, an extreme that I don't think occurs too frequently in baseball. If the Rangers tank they will be much closer to the first version and nowhere near the second version.

If the Rangers bring in Mathis to start most of the time and they also trade Minor, then that is a strong indication that they are planning on some version of tanking. If they do that then I don't view it negatively in the least. They aren't going to win the division or even be close to a wildcard so who cares if they win 75 games or 60 games. I don't think they can do that in the new ballpark in 2020 though. They don't have to push to win 90 games in 2020 in the new ballpark, but they are at least going to try and be close to a .500 team then.

As far as Trevino goes, he is simply not ready to play up here. His bat is not good enough. He needs more development in the minor leagues

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that is yet to be determined.

As far as if they are tanking or not, I do think how much they use Mathis will give us a glimpse. Trading Minor could be another indication.

Tanking, like many other things, can be done in degrees. To me, not being concerned with the number of wins is one version of tanking. Purposely trying to lose as many games as possible is on the other extreme, an extreme that I don't think occurs too frequently in baseball. If the Rangers tank they will be much closer to the first version and nowhere near the second version.

If the Rangers bring in Mathis to start most of the time and they also trade Minor, then that is a strong indication that they are planning on some version of tanking. If they do that then I don't view it negatively in the least. They aren't going to win the division or even be close to a wildcard so who cares if they win 75 games or 60 games. I don't think they can do that in the new ballpark in 2020 though. They don't have to push to win 90 games in 2020 in the new ballpark, but they are at least going to try and be close to a .500 team then.

As far as Trevino goes, he is simply not ready to play up here. His bat is not good enough. He needs more development in the minor leagues
Good post Bennie. Maybe someone might learn something from it.