• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas: Glory Days

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame]http://twitter.com/jnaj18/status/457640689245761536[/ame]

:laugh3:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how this Texas bashing thread turned into "well you only barely beat us all the time". Lets be honest, Nebraska is done as an elite program. They don't sit in a good recruiting base like USC, Bama, Texas, etc so they can't come back like those programs can. Add to the fact the Big ten will never let them recruit the brain dead thugs that Osborne built his great teams with, its over.

:L

They never did sit in those recruiting bases. You think the university originated in Texas, California, or Alabama and arbitrarily called itself Nebraska? One day in the early 2000's they decided to pick up and move to Lincoln where the name made more sense?

LMAO

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that hard to believe b/c the B1G is supposed to pride itself in academic excellence. I could have sworn the B1G allowed limited partial qualifiers. I'm too lazy to look it up so maybe a veteran B1G poster can inform us what the rule is on partial qualifiers in the B1G.

The Big Ten leaves it up to each school to decide for itself how it treats Partial Qualifiers. This, the BTN money, geographical and cultural similarities were the 'real' reasons UNL changed conferences.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten leaves it up to each school to decide for itself how it treats Partial Qualifiers. This, the BTN money, geographical and cultural similarities were the 'real' reasons UNL changed conferences.

I call bullshit Charlie. Ask any NU fan why Nebraska left for the BIG and it's all Texas's fault.....

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call bullshit Charlie. Ask any NU fan why Nebraska left for the BIG and it's all Texas's fault.....

I agree that almost every Husker fan will state it was UT's fault, but that's not the actual reasons.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumb players actually attend Univeristy of Texas but somehow they are not called partial qualifiers.

The year the players started, GSR is how many graduate in six years. SIX YEARS!!! At Texas, a football players is guaranteed to graduate around 50% of the time, in SIX YEARS!!!!!

2000 GSR Graduation Success Rate
Nebraska 83%
Texas 42%

Nebraska 78%
Texas 51%

Nebraska 72%
Texas 53%

Nebraska 68%
Texas 49%

Nebraska 67%
Texas 58%

Nebraska 68%
Texas 58%

2006 GSR Graduation Success Rate
Nebraska 76%
Texas 56%

Nebraska Academic All Americans 310
Texas Academic All Americans 126

In other news, Vince Young earned his degree in 2013 in Applied Learning and Development. Matter of fact, a LOT of the Texas athletes MAJOR In that. Applied Learning and Development must be for people to work at Daycare facilities because in the University of Texas Course Catalog it specifically states this

Applied Learning and Development "which does not lead to teacher certification."

From that I conclude that they are NOT TEACHERS, maybe janitors.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell a sports discussion has come to an end when someone brings up graduation rates or academics. smh

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell a sports discussion has come to an end when someone brings up graduation rates or academics. smh

I refer you to Dyer calling Nebraska thug players please. He called Nebraska brain dead, but it looks like the numbers reinforce that Texas players are brain dead and can maybe graduate half of the time to be a janitor.

Did you know that the Big 12 allows OVERSIGNING in Baseball. You know why, because it benefits Texas the most. The B1G allows ONE to be oversigned.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten allows oversigning in football, up to 3. The school has to send a report to the conference offices justifying the action.

Big 10 schools are required to establish a budget number for how many OFFERS they can give with an exception of no more than 3 over what they have room for under the 85 limit at any one time.
Big 10 « Oversigning.com

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten allows oversigning in football, up to 3. The school has to send a report to the conference offices justifying the action.

Big 10 « Oversigning.com

Your link shows that Mack Brown of Texas OVERSIGNS.

Your link also shows that the B1G had the most stringent rules according to ex-LSU coach Gary Dinardo.

Your link also says that the MAJORITY of the B1G teams do not use that oversign exception.

"That last line is the most crucial. Despite having an exception available to oversign by 3, the majority do not use the exception. One could argue that the reason the exception is not being used is because of the transparency in the process and any foul play, such as bogus medical hardships or forced transfers, would find its way to the light. Regardless, the exception is there provided there is a legitimate situation that would justify its use."

I don't think your link supports what you thought it did.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it does. The Big Ten supposedly doesn't allow oversigning(which you brought up) and yet allows exceptions to the rule. I call it being two-faced.

I notice you make a lot of allegations but never supply links. I'm done with you.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEBRASKA will never be the same without the Prop players.
It was well known amongst the coaches that Nebraska had an open admission policy under Osborne.

All the Texas hatred started with the Longhorns insistence on full qualifiers.
Nebraska wanted PQs. Texas did not. Texas won the debate 11-1 in the Big 12 voting.

Nebraska doesn't have enough talent in state.
And they cannot get elite sunbelt athletes to come to a cold weather plains state.
The PQ angle was their ace in the hole recruiting niche.

In fairness, Nebraska did an amazing and commendable thing with these guys.
Society might have turned their backs on some, but Nebraska embraced them and elevated them.

Nebraska deserves all the credit for doing an amazing job with PQs.
It was a good thing to do.

But, without the PQs, Nebraska is simply not going to ever be the same program again.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it does. The Big Ten supposedly doesn't allow oversigning(which you brought up) and yet allows exceptions to the rule. I call it being two-faced.

I notice you make a lot of allegations but never supply links. I'm done with you.

I brought up how the Big 12 allows OVERSIGNING in baseball.

GSR is easily available, matter of fact it is part of the NCAA pages

Graduation Success Rate | NCAA Public Home Page - NCAA.org

You should actually read the link you posted. It does sort of say that Jim Tressel of Ohio State oversigns with an average of 20 recruits per year, but it also shows that MACK BROWN oversigned with an average of 21.33 recruits each year. I realize that in Texas math, 21.33 is less than 20.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumb players actually attend Univeristy of Texas but somehow they are not called partial qualifiers.

The year the players started, GSR is how many graduate in six years. SIX YEARS!!! At Texas, a football players is guaranteed to graduate around 50% of the time, in SIX YEARS!!!!!

2000 GSR Graduation Success Rate
Nebraska 83%
Texas 42%

Nebraska 78%
Texas 51%

Nebraska 72%
Texas 53%

Nebraska 68%
Texas 49%

Nebraska 67%
Texas 58%

Nebraska 68%
Texas 58%

2006 GSR Graduation Success Rate
Nebraska 76%
Texas 56%

Nebraska Academic All Americans 310
Texas Academic All Americans 126

In other news, Vince Young earned his degree in 2013 in Applied Learning and Development. Matter of fact, a LOT of the Texas athletes MAJOR In that. Applied Learning and Development must be for people to work at Daycare facilities because in the University of Texas Course Catalog it specifically states this

Applied Learning and Development "which does not lead to teacher certification."

From that I conclude that they are NOT TEACHERS, maybe janitors.

Texas graduation rates by players is not very good, but will get better under Charley Strong, I'm sure. He meets with the education people once a week; Mack met with them three times in 15 years.

It is also a fact, that it is a little harder to get a degree at UT.

Per several lists on the interwebz, looked at graduation rates for state universities. Texas is #22. I've not found Nebraska's yet. However, they were NOT in the bottom 25, so that's good.

Univ of Nebraska at Lincoln
Grad rates: at 150% equals 64% at 100% equals 29% Median SAT score 1150
Univer of Texas at Austin
Grad rates: at 150% equals 80% at 100% equals 53% Median SAT score 1240

So, for the student body, there is a higher SAT score needed for UT, and the graduation rates are higher than Nebraska's.

Now, I don't really think this means a damn thing about the football teams of each school. So you should probably quit bringing up this academic shit. Because, academically, UT will beat Nebraska.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEBRASKA will never be the same without the Prop players.
It was well known amongst the coaches that Nebraska had an open admission policy under Osborne.

All the Texas hatred started with the Longhorns insistence on full qualifiers.
Nebraska wanted PQs. Texas did not. Texas won the debate 11-1 in the Big 12 voting.

Nebraska doesn't have enough talent in state.
And they cannot get elite sunbelt athletes to come to a cold weather plains state.
The PQ angle was their ace in the hole recruiting niche.

In fairness, Nebraska did an amazing and commendable thing with these guys.
Society might have turned their backs on some, but Nebraska embraced them and elevated them.

Nebraska deserves all the credit for doing an amazing job with PQs.
It was a good thing to do.

But, without the PQs, Nebraska is simply not going to ever be the same program again.

I will bet you a one year avatar bet that the vote was NOT 11-1.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas graduation rates by players is not very good, but will get better under Charley Strong, I'm sure. He meets with the education people once a week; Mack met with them three times in 15 years.

It is also a fact, that it is a little harder to get a degree at UT.

Per several lists on the interwebz, looked at graduation rates for state universities. Texas is #22. I've not found Nebraska's yet. However, they were NOT in the bottom 25, so that's good.

Univ of Nebraska at Lincoln
Grad rates: at 150% equals 64% at 100% equals 29% Median SAT score 1150
Univer of Texas at Austin
Grad rates: at 150% equals 80% at 100% equals 53% Median SAT score 1240

So, for the student body, there is a higher SAT score needed for UT, and the graduation rates are higher than Nebraska's.

Now, I don't really think this means a damn thing about the football teams of each school. So you should probably quit bringing up this academic shit. Because, academically, UT will beat Nebraska.

But it is you Texans that bring up how dumb Nebraska football players are. Please read this thread, JohnDyer and texasExes both mention it but supply no support. I merely point out the Texas athletes(note there is no mention of student) are not very bright and back it up by linking the NCAA Graduation Success rates. Heck, Texas baseball has been on academic probation in the last five years and LOST scholarships for poor academics.

As for overall academic institutions, there is absolutely no doubt Texas is better than Nebraska. Show me where I have EVER stated otherwise. I did not attend Nebraska myself.

But I will gladly argue technicalities with Texans that get their panties bunched up when the facts they think they are presenting actually look worse when applied to the Longhorns.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it is you Texans that bring up how dumb Nebraska football players are. Please read this thread, JohnDyer and texasExes both mention it but supply no support. I merely point out the Texas athletes(note there is no mention of student) are not very bright and back it up by linking the NCAA Graduation Success rates. Heck, Texas baseball has been on academic probation in the last five years and LOST scholarships for poor academics.

As for overall academic institutions, there is absolutely no doubt Texas is better than Nebraska. Show me where I have EVER stated otherwise. I did not attend Nebraska myself.

But I will gladly argue technicalities with Texans that get their panties bunched up when the facts they think they are presenting actually look worse when applied to the Longhorns.

Well, fair enough. I only speak for myself, and since I graduated from UT, I am biased to be sure.

I respect any college football player who graduates. It's hard to graduate from a good university. I don't care if your major is underwater basket weaving. It's as much an education in navigating a bureaucratic maze as anything.

And no matter who started it, people really should give Vince young a break. Yes, he was a complete dumbass to throw away millions of dollars on nothing. He was offered assistance when he turned pro, by world-class money people(Texas exes, people who've made millions on stocks and managing money) and he turned them down, because he wanted 'his people' in charge of his money. I feel sorry for him for doing so.

However, he did come back, and do the BS needed to get his degree; it may not be anything big, but he did go to class and put in the work to do it. There are not many big-time athletes from poor backgrounds who would do that. And I give him credit for doing it, because I know how hard it was to get my degree. If you have a degree from a good school, they you understand. If you don't, then you cant possibly understand what it takes to stick to it and get it done.

I have never said Nebraska players are stupid. I understand the back-n-forth that goes on messenger boards between rivals, whatever. And yes, Texas players graduating has been lacking very much. But that country club atmosphere is over. And, we do have a number of smart players who do graduate. For example, Fozzy Whitaker graduated, and was in graduate school his senior year. We have the special forces guy, who won an academic award last year, and who is still there this year. So we do have a few.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read the entire thread just the last few posts. Nebraska is the leader in academic-all american's in the NCAA, so our athletes are not dumb. If you go to Institutions and look at college ranks, Nebraska is listed as 101st ranked University, Texas is ranked 52nd.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Now if you want to throw down the argument that it would be tougher to go to school at Texas than Nebraska I would probably laugh. Sure, maybe slightly, but lets not exaggerate here. Most public Universities are very similar and the only real difference in toughness is when you get into those Ivy league schools and shit.