• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas: Glory Days

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To tell the alumni and fans that Texas is going to win the NC in his 1st year, when we all know this team is just average right now, is pretty stupid. You people are blowing this out of proportion.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To tell the alumni and fans that Texas is going to win the NC in his 1st year, when we all know this team is just average right now, is pretty stupid. You people are blowing this out of proportion.

Could you imagine these poster's reactions if he had said we are going to be in the NC playoffs?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was refreshingly honest to a group of alumni.

The only guarantee is a WIN over Nebraska. Charlie Strongs understands this fact.

He made it clear that Texas was not playing Nebraska 12 times in order to insure perfection.

Everything else is not a certainty for the Longhorns or any program.

I like it. The Mack Brown country club environment seems a distant memory.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine these poster's reactions if he had said we are going to be in the NC playoffs?

Exactly ^^^^^ You would have every single person, especially dumbfuck Sooner fans, screaming about how delusional Strong is and that Texas will be lucky to even finish 5th in the Big 12 and how we have no QB, and how arrogant Strong is, yadayadayadayada......

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly ^^^^^ You would have every single person, especially dumbfuck Sooner fans, screaming about how delusional Strong is and that Texas will be lucky to even finish 5th in the Big 12 and how we have no QB, and how arrogant Strong is, yadayadayadayada......

Sometime the truth just hurts!

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took them to their first bowl game in many many years and won the NC the next year. Fify

We're talking about the 1st year. Strong will take Texas to a shit bowl, the way Stoops did in his 1st year. Now, who's to say Texas can't be a contender for the NC in his 2nd year? Strong was addressing his football team this year and was perfectly honest. Not sure why this is such an issue; Texas is not a national championship contender this year at all; now, maybe he thinks otherwise and just wants his players to know they are not that good and need to work on getting better, who knows.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong does not give a fuck what anyone outside of his players think. Our players have been coddled, and babied for years.

Guarantee you, after his remarks hit the news, he told his players, "prove me wrong".

That locker room was the number one example of dysfunction for the last four years. Not anymore.

Good example of the coddling coming to an end: During the spring game, a senior linebacker made a good play. He immediately started tapping the top of his helmet, meaning he wanted to come out for a 'rest'.

Strong got in his face, told him to "get the fuck back in there" and then pointed at his replacement and gestured, yelling to "get the hell over here, I didn't send you in."

It's a different day at Texas. Someone should mark this part of the thread, and we can come back and look at it in two years...

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong does not give a fuck what anyone outside of his players think. Our players have been coddled, and babied for years.

Guarantee you, after his remarks hit the news, he told his players, "prove me wrong".

That locker room was the number one example of dysfunction for the last four years. Not anymore.

Good example of the coddling coming to an end: During the spring game, a senior linebacker made a good play. He immediately started tapping the top of his helmet, meaning he wanted to come out for a 'rest'.

Strong got in his face, told him to "get the fuck back in there" and then pointed at his replacement and gestured, yelling to "get the hell over here, I didn't send you in."

It's a different day at Texas. Someone should mark this part of the thread, and we can come back and look at it in two years...

I'm loving it!!!! Did you see another time during the spring game, 2nd quarter I believe, the offense went 3 and out again and was looking awful. You could easily read Coach Strong's lips and he said, "Punt it, fucking punt it! You're looking like shit out there!" Mack would have clapped his hands and told the guys, "It's OK, just go have some fun out there".

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter what the final ranking was. I'm talking at the time of the game, where NU was ranked higher. And nobody finds beating Nebraska as a great accomplishment. Again, when running your mouth against your Daddy, we need to put you people back in your place, simply b/c nobody outside of Lincoln give two shits about what NU did back in the 90's. Beating Nebraska during Big 12 play was a given. Great accomplishments were winning the '05 BCS title, winning the Big 12 in '96, '05 and '09, going 3-1 in BCS bowls, having the opportunity to play for another BCS title in '09, etc, etc. What is really a laugher are the moral victories you dumbasses claim, "well, Texas barely beat us in some games"......
-------
Back in Nebraska's "glory days", they always started out highly ranked & a loss here or ther would drop them a little lower. Then came the Solich Callahan years where more often than not Nebraksa still got the benefit of the doubt and could still pull a high early ranking. Not so any more. So you're dead wrong about what the final rankings meant. Because NOW we are lucky to even get mentioned in preseason polls and that's the way it should be. So, those years where we strted out ranked high don't really mean squat because they were based on our past. You ended up beating us yes, that's a given BUT we were not truly deserving of the rankings at the time. Simply put you beat average/good Nebraska teams NOT great ones--don't kid yourself.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton Santos, a sophomore UT LB, has his mom in the hospital and she urgently needs an open heart surgery to correct an aortic aneurysm. She does not have health insurance and the family can't afford to pay the operation on their own. A family started a donation page at YouCaring.com and it has already raised $30k of the over $100k needed. UT fans have begun retweeting the request.
UT?s Santos overwhelmed by support for ailing mom - Longhorns

Bashing Texas can begin anew.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Back in Nebraska's "glory days", they always started out highly ranked & a loss here or ther would drop them a little lower. Then came the Solich Callahan years where more often than not Nebraksa still got the benefit of the doubt and could still pull a high early ranking. Not so any more. So you're dead wrong about what the final rankings meant. Because NOW we are lucky to even get mentioned in preseason polls and that's the way it should be. So, those years where we strted out ranked high don't really mean squat because they were based on our past. You ended up beating us yes, that's a given BUT we were not truly deserving of the rankings at the time. Simply put you beat average/good Nebraska teams NOT great ones--don't kid yourself.

So, that 1996 11-2 Husker team which Texas beat 37-27, was it average or good? It was sandwiched between 3 undefeated teams, the 1994 13-0, 1995 12-0 1997 13-0 and the 1993 11-1 team.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, that 1996 11-2 Husker team which Texas beat 37-27, was it average or good? It was sandwiched between 3 undefeated teams, the 1994 13-0, 1995 12-0 1997 13-0 and the 1993 11-1 team.
-------
We got whitewashed by the #17th ranked team. And let's face it considering who all graduated from the year before, it was a rebuilding year for the Huskers. Now let me give you a bit of my philosophy on early rankings. Nebraska should have dropped out of the top 10 after the loss to ASU say to #15 or so. Granted that's just my opinion but they never should have remained in the top 10 after scoring nothing against Arizona State.

Now my two cents worth, being a yong team, we were overconfident both the games we lost. But the fact remains we lost two games in a rebuilding year. I'll leave it to you to decide whether we were average or good.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton Santos, a sophomore UT LB, has his mom in the hospital and she urgently needs an open heart surgery to correct an aortic aneurysm. She does not have health insurance and the family can't afford to pay the operation on their own. A family started a donation page at YouCaring.com and it has already raised $30k of the over $100k needed. UT fans have begun retweeting the request.
UT?s Santos overwhelmed by support for ailing mom - Longhorns

Bashing Texas can begin anew.

I think that is cool, but if he were just a student, would it even be in the news? And I'm talking any school, so not bashing.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
We got whitewashed by the #17th ranked team. And let's face it considering who all graduated from the year before, it was a rebuilding year for the Huskers. Now let me give you a bit of my philosophy on early rankings. Nebraska should have dropped out of the top 10 after the loss to ASU say to #15 or so. Granted that's just my opinion but they never should have remained in the top 10 after scoring nothing against Arizona State.

Now my two cents worth, being a yong team, we were overconfident both the games we lost. But the fact remains we lost two games in a rebuilding year. I'll leave it to you to decide whether we were average or good.

Rebuilding??? and they ended up #6. Good luck with trying to get others to buy into that. Nebraska was in the middle of a great streak.
1993 11-1, 1994 13-0, 1995 12-0, 1996 11-2, 1997 13-0. That's a 5 year record of 60-3. I don't know if any other team has done that. Why don't you try to prove me wrong. Somehow I doubt you'll even try.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------

Had Nebraska won against Texas, they were playing for their 3rd straight NC. I wouldn't exactly call them rebuilding that year either or young (especially on the defensive side). Sure, they lost Tommie Frazier (Scott Frost was already a Jr when he took over, so already had a few years under his belt running the offense in practice), but returned some key starters on offense and that defense returned the majority of the talent that helped win the NC the year before, so yeah, that was a damn good NU team that year. Plus, NU lost to an ASU team that was 3 pts away from winning a NC that year and finished #4, so let's not pretend like NU lost to some scrub team that should have dropped NU to #15 like you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska was #3 and would have played FSU in the Sugar Bowl for the title that season.
Texas whitewashed them and prevented them from playing a 3rd national title.

Let's not pretend that was some rebuilding year.
Their only loss until that point was to a team that finished #4 and was 1 minute from a national title.

A mediocre Texas team beat a great Nebraska team that year and ended their quest for threepeat.