• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas & Georgia Tech to B1G rumors

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody have any info on the rumor of Texas & the B1G being in negotiations for the past few months?...of course, the talks are supposedly under an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

Here is a linky to a post from the moderator of a Texas board:

Texas to the Big 10????

I would guess it's BS (like most rumors), but ya never know!

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be amusing to see Rutgers vs. Texas for a conference game...think that would be a record distance for conference foes amongst the power conferences.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bullshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GT rumor had been persistent. I don't think they are long for the ACC. B1G wants to get into Atlanta.

GT I could see, Texas part is bullshit though.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas must want something more from it's fellow Big XII members.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt the fee for leaving the acc 50 million now? or more?

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More. Much more. GT would have to give up the TV revenues from all of their home games for the next 25 years. The ACC has a revenue sharing contract similar to the Big 12's.

GT won't be going anywhere for a very long time to come.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same is true for Texas.

Obviously this is a rumor without substance.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice the moderator of the other board didn't link to the original post. Texas isn't leaving the Big 12.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More. Much more. GT would have to give up the TV revenues from all of their home games for the next 25 years. The ACC has a revenue sharing contract similar to the Big 12's.

And I am very much in support of this. As a GT alumnus, it has always been my preference that we build up the ACC rather than trying to jump ship to another conference.

The ACC schools are a good match in terms of school size, academic focus, and travel distance.

For GT, the SEC is only a good match in travel distance. Most SEC schools are large public universities with meh academics.

For GT, the B1G is only a good match in academics. Most B1G schools are large public universities that would be long travel distances for away matches.

The ACC is a good place for GT.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, Oliver Luck's name pops up in all sorts of rumors. Big 12 Commish, Texas AD, commish of some other conference, etc. The only one that has been substantiated is that Luck said no comment on the Texas AD job, which means YES to that rumor.

I believe this Texas to B1G rumor began from either MHver or the other person from West Virginia(EER?), who I don't remember. I believe those two are battling over the rights to the National Enquirer also. It is just pooh being flung around and hoping some sticks.

There is also the rumor of Texas + Kansas + Oklahoma + three more schools for a 20 team B1G.

There is no doubt the B1G is talking to several schools. The B1Gs TV contract is up in three years, and Delany wants at least two more teams, BADLY. The B1G has also had talks with Kansas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech.

As Red_Alert states, Texas is looking for concessions from the other Big 12 schools not named Oklahoma. Probably pertains to more football games being put on LHN, if not all Texas games being put on the LHN. There is the clause in the Big 12 GOR that if a school can find a better place for its football games to be on, so they can make more money, then the school can do it and the Big 12 won't fight it. Texas can make more money with their games on the LHN via the ESPN contract.

In actuality, Texas is still in talks with every conference. Texas is willing to take a deal from any conference where Texas makes out like a bandit. Any school would love to be in the position that Texas is in and would do the exact same thing if they could. But there are probably just five schools in the country that can do that and all of those schools are in highly populated states.

Think about this

Larry Scott is probably the most gun shy with Texas of all the conferences. Texas burned him once and the PAC 12 powers that be(read California schools) are not willing to meet Texas demands at this time. Not to mention, the PAC 12s TV contract is done signed and sealed. Right now, the PAC 12 is taking their pound of flesh from Texas and is not agreeing to any demands that Texas is making. But they might because of the expansion clauses in the contract.

The SEC has A&M. Since A&M is HOT and in the SEC, A&M recruiting is going gangbusters. A&M just took in $750 million from donors. Texas has poo pooed SEC over academics for decades. Slive won't cave in to any Texas demands, and the SEC schools are LOVING taking their pound of flesh out of Texas. The SEC is willing to see how the A&M connection gets the SEC into Texas. Right now, the SEC is in LOVE with A&M being in the SEC and not having to deal with Texas and the Texas demands.

That leaves the ACC and B1G for Texas to deal with. The ACC just signed their deal and has yet to incorporate Notre Dame and sees how that plays out. Too many unknowns for the school presidents at this time. Throw in the new football playoff and they are really confused and prefer to do nothing.

That only leaves desperate Delany and the B1G to negotiate with. The question is, will the B1G cave into the Texas demands, the main one is all about the LHN. If the TV dollars are high enough, even the objections from Nebraska could be over ruled about letting Texas into the B1G.

Another Texas demand is that they want more schools from Texas so that Texas won't have to play up north all the time. Just for fun, I bet that Texas is also asking for financial help from the B1G to help Texas pay for leaving the Big 12. Which of course, as we all know, Texas always lets everyone know how rich they are. The best way to stay rich, use other people's money.

To answer the question

Is Texas talking to the B1G? Yes, unofficially.

Will anything come out of it, such as Texas being invited to the B1G? NO.

Will the little 8 of the Big 12 cave in to the next demands from Texas, so Texas won't leave? Wait and see.

If that radio station out of Ohio has not reported on it, then you can pretty much think this is a dead rumor.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same is true for Texas.

Obviously this is a rumor without substance.
-
Not true there are outs in the deal. If tier 3 pays more than the conference payout Texas can leave. I seriously doubt TExas woudl be goign to the Big 10 though. I would think it would be the Pac if anything. I also doubt Texas moves without OU or another TExas school.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All of that is up in the air. The Maryland exit negotiations and court cases that are going on now will set the precedent. I don't know where you heard the 25 year TV revenue thing. That is the first I have heard of it. Even if 50mil is held up, that will pay itself off in 3-4 years in the B1G. The new ACC deal is a lot of talk without a lot of teeth. The ACC is far from stable right now. Multiple schools are being approached by multiple conferences. Those are NOT just rumors either.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'll really T me off if Texas were to leave the B12.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that is up in the air. The Maryland exit negotiations and court cases that are going on now will set the precedent. I don't know where you heard the 25 year TV revenue thing. That is the first I have heard of it. Even if 50mil is held up, that will pay itself off in 3-4 years in the B1G. The new ACC deal is a lot of talk without a lot of teeth. The ACC is far from stable right now. Multiple schools are being approached by multiple conferences. Those are NOT just rumors either.
-
I doubt the 3-4 yr payoff. That would imply that the ACC payout will be 12.5-16.7 million more than the ACC per yr. I do not believe the difference in money is that wide.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any concession of future TV money is flat illegal anyway and could be defeated in court according to most lawyers that I have talked to.

GT UNC to B1G

FSU, Clemson to B12

Virginia Tech, NCSU to SEC maybe?

Pitt and Virginia Tech could end up in B1G as well. If so I imagine SEC may visit Louisville as the 16th.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any concession of future TV money is flat illegal anyway and could be defeated in court according to most lawyers that I have talked to.

GT UNC to B1G

FSU, Clemson to B12

Pitt and Virginia Tech could end up in B1G as well. If so I imagine SEC may visit Louisville as the 16th.

No on Louisville, already have Kentucky since these things seem to be more about gaining markets than quality football teams.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I doubt the 3-4 yr payoff. That would imply that the ACC payout will be 12.5-16.7 million more than the ACC per yr. I do not believe the difference in money is that wide.

With a new TV contract and Btnetwork money, that is what most projections say. I still think the buyout will be negotiated down quite a bit.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GT UNC to B1G

FSU, Clemson to B12

I like that plan. Where can I sign for this?