• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas culture change.....

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok you spun it with a twist but the gist remains the same you guys. The main point is that it now seems Mac kept a lot of stuff hush hush and my guess is the inmates were running the asylum to some degree.

What will be interesting to see is if any of these guys that got dismissed start talking trash in the media and what comes up. These type of situations tend to have some risk involved of at least false allegations being thrown at the school its just the nature of the beast.

Go back and read some of my posts about the subject and you will find I'm consistent. Mack stopped recruiting players if a flag appeared. Those flags included trouble in HS with the law, not respecting their HS coaches, wishy washy commitments, pushy parents or HS agents. There may be more.

Personally, I believe recruiting do-gooders for football players and expecting them to play like All-Americans is nigh near impossible.

AFA what Mack did or didn't do during his tenure that was different with what is going on with Strong is a bit confusing. Why are so many players getting caught with positive drug tests during Strong's tenure and not during Mack's tenure? I've not read anything about Strong changing drug testing policies. It's possible that Strong is testing more players and more often. It's the only thing that makes sense. However, I don't know.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I doubt Mack's recruiting consisted of much more than sifting through the loads player packages dropped on his desk daily, and picking the ones with the best game film.

I think Strong will actually hit the road recruiting.

Did the Big 12 ever get rid of the limitation time a coach could be out of his office recruiting that Texas convinced all the peons to vote for? haha some kind of fools gold they were passing then.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I doubt Mack's recruiting consisted of much more than sifting through the loads player packages dropped on his desk daily, and picking the ones with the best game film.

Did the Big 12 ever get rid of the limitation time a coach could be out of his office recruiting that Texas convinced all the peons to vote for? haha some kind of fools gold they were passing then.

They will be lining up to "Come on Strong" :pound:

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm yeah, we also play at South Bend and then get Cal at home. I noticed how you left those two out.

You mean you have the Cal Bears at home next year? Better get tickets now. That will create a huge media circus. Will almost be like Super Bowl week. I mean Cal is ranked #62 (On the SeeBS 126 list). They have 3 wins over FBS teams in the last 3 season. None of those was last year. That is what you are hanging your hat on as scheduling a tough OOC game? Well, it might be for Texas.......currently ranked at #63 on the same list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and read some of my posts about the subject and you will find I'm consistent. Mack stopped recruiting players if a flag appeared. Those flags included trouble in HS with the law, not respecting their HS coaches, wishy washy commitments, pushy parents or HS agents. There may be more.

Personally, I believe recruiting do-gooders for football players and expecting them to play like All-Americans is nigh near impossible.

AFA what Mack did or didn't do during his tenure that was different with what is going on with Strong is a bit confusing. Why are so many players getting caught with positive drug tests during Strong's tenure and not during Mack's tenure? I've not read anything about Strong changing drug testing policies. It's possible that Strong is testing more players and more often. It's the only thing that makes sense. However, I don't know.

It means you're full of shit with the whole "Mack didn't recruit a guy if there were red flags."

Wild Turkey is right, you guys for years have been touting Mack Brown as this saintly high character guy who could afford to be choosy with regards to all the 6-star athletes in Texas that grew up having wet dreams about playing in Austin.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown left a mess of gigantic proportions. His recruiting the last five years went downhill, fast.
Yes, some of us (me) were hopeful, and that it wasnt as bad as it felt. But we now see why the teams lacked discipline, tenacity, toughness, and the will to win and above all else not lose.

Charlie Strong will be successful, as long as he tunes out the chorus of those who want to win now at any cost. He is determined to not only improve the traits I listed above, but to make better men.

He is ahead of the curve of the mess that football as a whole is facing today in the public perception. I think recruiting will improve, because talented players that want to play in the NFL dont want to get blackballed before they are drafted, because of undisciplined stupidity.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I loved Sam Ponder on Gameday: She was mad at Jimbo for dumping his planned interview with her because of Winston's suspension being changed to a full game. "

She listed, without attribution because they are common sense, Charlie Strong's core values when discussing Winston and the current state of football in general: paraphrased -
"You should not steal, you should be honest, you shouldnt use drugs, and you should treat women with respect, if you want to play"

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huwaryu_in_exile;5594944[B said:
]It means you're full of shit with the whole "Mack didn't recruit a guy if there were red flags."[/B]

Wild Turkey is right, you guys for years have been touting Mack Brown as this saintly high character guy who could afford to be choosy with regards to all the 6-star athletes in Texas that grew up having wet dreams about playing in Austin.

No, actually you are wrong. Are you a Texas fan? Do you live in Austin, and follow this shit like a fan? I doubt it. I think we know a little more than you do concerning this issue.

MB would ABSOLUTELY NOT recruit a guy who had any visible red flags. Now in the last couple of years, the recruiting fell off drastically, and MB obviously didnt do the legwork needed. But during his tenure, he recruited more class presidents, good grades, guys from families with mothers and fathers, etc. than is normal at most big-time programs.

The reason he did this? Because when he was hired there was a HUGE discussion at UT about whether they could ever return to CFB prominence with 'good kids'. His predecessor had a number of bad apples, and the UT leadership didnt want to recruit those type of players anymore.

MB said that he could win with 'good kids' and recruited that type. Of course, young college students sometimes get into trouble when they leave home for the first time, etc., but he generally did what he said he'd do.

He did recruit a few guys who obviously were NOT at the top of their class, class president,etc., such as Vince Young. But VY had NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE. And he NEVER GOT INTO TROUBLE AT UT.

So, in the end, you are wrong.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the last few years, MB had checked out. Obviously, some of his usual recruiting checked out as well. Plus, with him not being with his team, or around the program like he should, and with all the staff fights and firings and changes, the players were left basically on their own.

And that is what CS is now having to clean up.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means you're full of shit with the whole "Mack didn't recruit a guy if there were red flags."

LOL Huwaryu is taking this Baylor fandom seriously he's gunning for Longhorns now!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

On this particular subject, you are completely clueless. Mack stopped recruiting a LOT of kids that had red flags......probably the most famous is Fred Rouse, who ended up going to FSU, and his past caught up with him. There is a LINE of former recruits he passed on because of character questions.

Mack didn't TOUCH a kid with known issues at the HS level, he was notorious for this.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this particular subject, you are completely clueless. Mack stopped recruiting a LOT of kids that had red flags......probably the most famous is Fred Rouse, who ended up going to FSU, and his past caught up with him. There is a LINE of former recruits he passed on because of character questions.

Mack didn't TOUCH a kid with known issues at the HS level, he was notorious for this.

So what you're implying is that under Mack Texas was allowing misguided behavior and turning good kids into bad ones.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're implying is that under Mack Texas was allowing misguided behavior and turning good kids into bad ones.

Quite possibly. Mack dropped Rouse and AJ Nichols for character reasons off the bat. He passed on a LOT of instate talent because of arrests and issues reported by coaches.

It's becoming clear now that once they got here, he let them do whatever they wanted

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The facts are, that after the 2009 Championship game, MB flipped out. He was going to retire as champion, and Muschamp was the HC in waiting. Since the Longhorns lost, MB went into some kind of freaked out mode; the dysfunction became a way of life on the team. When Texas started losing in 2010, he started blaming the coaches, who had 'let him down', and it was a bad scene. Muschamp bailed, he fired Greg Robinson and others.

He then brought in Diaz, Harsin and others. Other big teams had hit another gear in recruiting strategies, and MB was suddenly behind the times. The coaches were fighting, and the players were left in a limbo zone. Harsin got out as fast as he could, Diaz was fired, and still the players were screwed.

That is what happened. MB was both things: he was really good for most of his tenure, and his recruiting was top notch. But when he checked out after 2009, he and Texas was left behind.

That is reflected in his recruits running off the rails at Texas. They players were pretty much left on their own. They had ZERO leadership, and that was reflected on the field.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the stories I could tell. But this isnt the place, and what is done is done. It's a new day. Let's move on.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The facts are, that after the 2009 Championship game, MB flipped out. He was going to retire as champion, and Muschamp was the HC in waiting. Since the Longhorns lost, MB went into some kind of freaked out mode; the dysfunction became a way of life on the team. When Texas started losing in 2010, he started blaming the coaches, who had 'let him down', and it was a bad scene. Muschamp bailed, he fired Greg Robinson and others.

He then brought in Diaz, Harsin and others. Other big teams had hit another gear in recruiting strategies, and MB was suddenly behind the times. The coaches were fighting, and the players were left in a limbo zone. Harsin got out as fast as he could, Diaz was fired, and still the players were screwed.

That is what happened. MB was both things: he was really good for most of his tenure, and his recruiting was top notch. But when he checked out after 2009, he and Texas was left behind.

That is reflected in his recruits running off the rails at Texas. They players were pretty much left on their own. They had ZERO leadership, and that was reflected on the field.
On the bright side it has now been proven Muschamp would have been a disaster so at least you don't have to live with a "what could have been scenario". I mean if Muschamp was killing it at Florida it would suck so much worse.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can start by recruiting a quarterback. Blake Bell could start at Texas, no doubt.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the quarterback position. Another part of the mess.

But, let's move on.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok you spun it with a twist but the gist remains the same you guys. The main point is that it now seems Mac kept a lot of stuff hush hush and my guess is the inmates were running the asylum to some degree.

What will be interesting to see is if any of these guys that got dismissed start talking trash in the media and what comes up. These type of situations tend to have some risk involved of at least false allegations being thrown at the school its just the nature of the beast.

I think it was more an absentee landlord. It isn't unprecedented. Gundy threw off 9. Muschamp threw off a ton. Saban came in with a broom.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was actually known for crossing kids out after Romance. It was a rather debated topic on Texas boards. Many were tired of "a bunch of choir boy Centex kids". Hardly assures that kids won't discover 6th street and drugs when they get on campus