• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "second part" of your statement could apply to ALL of those guys

I disagree partially. Look at how many pitchers have recently received tommy John surgery. The success rate is high, pitchers are coming back and performing at a high level. I'd argue that Perez, Holland, and Darvish should be expected to recover and come back strong from their injuries. Harrison, Profar, and Hamilton are iffy tho. Especially Harrison and Profar.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can an offense be so bad across the board. Even from those who have been successful in the past. I just don't understand this total incompetence.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which is worse, the announcing duo of Buzz-TAG or the pathetic excuse for an offense the Rangers trot out every day. Two senile old coots rambling on about nonsense or 6 out of 9 hitters with below a .200 average? Tough call.

At least Lewin made games interesting to watch... :pout:
And you could always count on a Hunter Pence is from Arlington..note.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree partially. Look at how many pitchers have recently received tommy John surgery. The success rate is high, pitchers are coming back and performing at a high level. I'd argue that Perez, Holland, and Darvish should be expected to recover and come back strong from their injuries. Harrison, Profar, and Hamilton are iffy tho. Especially Harrison and Profar.

The odds are also good that Profar recovers now that he's actually undergone the surgery, will he live up to the hype? No one can know... Is he behind in his developement? Sure... but that wasn't the point,

It doesn't change the fact that we still have a former #1 prospect waiting to return next year, which I would garner to say is better than having the former #85 prospect coming back next year

That's the point I saw being made, we have a lot of talent on the shelf for an extended period of time (again), whether they all make it back is irrelevant

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget about the friendship that exists between Michael Young and Vernon Wells. Every game they played together, Lewin brought it up. I'd still rather have Lewin than Busby. Rhadigan was by far the worst tho, he was so bad that I quit watching for awhile until he got fired and I think the team was pretty good that year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya know I rained on Lewin, almost unmercifully. And now look what we've got.

A classic, "be careful what you ask for, you might get it" scenario. :L on me!

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg has a ton of awesome notes in his report this morning.

According to Jeff Fletcher (Orange County Register), as far as the “player to be named later or cash considerations” component to the trade is concerned: “If [the Angels] do get a player, it will be a low-level minor leaguer. If they get cash, it could be $1.”

Ken Rosenthal (Fox Sports) reports that Hamilton, whom Arte Moreno happily handed a full no-trade clause in December 2012, vetoed a trade to another unidentified club before the Rangers deal came together, and that in the deal he turned down he wouldn’t have had to surrender any of his salary.

Remember how badly things ended for Hamilton on the field here in Texas? My own memory of it was distorted by the really ugly final week that the entire team played, punctuated by Hamilton’s series in Oakland and Wild Card game against Baltimore. Even counting the brutal end of the regular season, Hamilton hit .280/.351/.560 in the August-September-October final third, numbers that shocked me when I looked them up yesterday.

Nick Martinez, a college second baseman, pitched 26.1 innings in three years at Fordham University. He’s pitched 26 big league innings in 2015. He leads Major League Baseball in ERA, and nobody has had a better March/April mark (at least 25 frames) since Roger Clemens’s 0.28 ERA in 1991, when Martinez was eight months old.

Josh Hamilton has a locker next to Matt Harrison and Martin Perez. He arrived in Surprise yesterday for what’s expected to be roughly a 10-day stay in extended spring training, followed by a 10- or 14-day rehab assignment with Round Rock before he’d be considered for big league activation.

Harrison’s departure from Surprise may not be far behind Hamilton’s. According to local reports, he has two more live BP sessions scheduled, followed by two planned extended spring starts (of one inning and two innings) and then a rehab assignment of his own.

Ross Detwiler was decent last night, making easily his best start as a Ranger, but he’s now on the same pitching schedule as Round Rock righthander Chi Chi Gonzalez, who hasn’t been dominant but may not be far from being called upon.

Texas is hitting .212/.297/.322 as a team. Sure, without counting Shin-Soo Choo’s impossibly anemic numbers, the team slash is a marginally more presentable .222/.301/.334. But without Prince Fielder, the rest of the Rangers are hitting .194/.284/.305.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The worst offensive month in team history since the inclusion of a DH. Stunned. I'm just... stunned.

"Said Magadan, who is in his third season as hitting instructor: “They haven’t forgotten how to hit. Sometimes they put too much pressure on themselves and it carries over to other at-bats, but they haven’t forgotten how to hit.”

“It’s just unheard for so many guys to be struggling at the same time, especially with men on base,” Magadan added. “When guys struggle, it puts pressure on guys at the back of the lineup to do stuff for you. You need contribution from them, but you don’t want to be counting on them for your offense.”

Yes, we know it's unheard of, Magadan. Not really helping your own case.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal (Fox Sports) reports that Hamilton, whom Arte Moreno happily handed a full no-trade clause in December 2012, vetoed a trade to another unidentified club before the Rangers deal came together, and that in the deal he turned down he wouldn’t have had to surrender any of his salary

Why would Moreno do this?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I get bored at work....

Rangers4_zpslj2m3cww.jpg

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does not seem smart to me.

I honestly don't think people get to be billionaires by being stupid.

Now foolish, that's a whole nuther-can-of-worms.

But this said, if he purposely just ate about $70 million for no good, apparent reason, then maybe I've been wrong all along about that first statement.