• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to the press conference yesterday and have heard and read a lot of conversation about it. Myself, I came away from it wishing Josh would have been a bit more humble and apologetic. I think he dropped the ball in those aspects. I didn't go into the presser with the attitude that he had to say something special to make me a fan again though. I think that is because I never felt anywhere near the ill will towards him as some have.

I did enjoy Michael Young's interview on The Fan yesterday regarding Josh returning to the club especially when asked about the suggestion that Josh had quit on the team.

I have no idea what Josh gives us, but I will say again that I think JD made an excellent move here. The risk is very low and there is some significant upside possibilities.

One aspect that I never heard mentioned was the chance that if he does do well that we could trade him. I wonder if he has a no trade clause. Not that that is going to come into play this year, but I wonder what the possibility is in the future.

Josh has a full no trade clause, and I am quite certain Josh came back here because this is where he intends to play until he isn't playing any more.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the acquisition of Hamilton, I wonder if Rua might see some time at 2B & 3B to offset some of the time he'll lose to Hamilton in the OF.

Excellent question.

Has he any experience at SS? If he has we can let Rosales go, and let him be a super utility player for now anyway.

Not a big fan of not giving him regular ABs though.

That is a terrible idea. He needs to be playing one position every day whether it is here or Round Rock. The super utility position did wonders for Profar's development after all. Frankly, if Choo keeps this up much longer I say launch him to the sun and put Rua out there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh has a full no trade clause, and I am quite certain Josh came back here because this is where he intends to play until he isn't playing any more.

My thoughts exactly.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a terrible idea. He needs to be playing one position every day whether it is here or Round Rock. The super utility position did wonders for Profar's development after all. Frankly, if Choo keeps this up much longer I say launch him to the sun and put Rua out there.

Is everyone, everywhere going to be Profar for the rest of our frigging lives?

Besides, when Profar was asked to do this, he really had no experience doing anything but SS and a little 2nd. Plus, when they stuck him in this role, he was only 20. Rua is 25 and may be much more able to handle the situation.

Also, it would be a chance to get Rosales outta here too.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope he gets to play everyday in Round Rock until someone up here goes down with an injury. Now if Odor continues to struggle and they decide to send him down then I would be all for Rua playing 2B on an everyday basis.

Was my main thought process behind the Rua comment...

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he needs to be playing everyday.

The bad thing is that people still judge Profar's ability based on those few(relatively speaking) at bats he had while being mishandled by Wash.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Young explains why he thinks Josh Hamilton didn't quit on Rangers and why he supported the trade | Dallas Morning News

“First it’s pretty interesting to throw out there if you don’t know for sure, to sit there and suggest a guy quit, especially when you’re talking about a dropped ball. That’s a physical error, that doesn’t mean a guy quit. There were mistakes that entire season, that entire series. The wildcard game is interesting. People seem to suggest Josh quit because he saw a certain amount of pitches because that led him to get an out quickly for an 0 for 4. Well that’s who Josh is. When Josh was here he was basically a left-handed version of (Vladimir Guerrero). Josh was aggressive. Josh was very instinctive. If he saw something there he went after it. That was the same approach that led to him have a four homer game and hit a first-pitch homer in the 10 inning of a World Series game. … Quit is something I don’t toss out there unless I’m absolutely certain and know Josh didn’t quit on us. If that did happen I wouldn’t have been completely back on board with Josh coming back here, which I am.”

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems extremely ironic with all the problems the team is struggling with, Josh Hamilton returning is going to help. Not saying he won't produce. Not saying it's not a good move because only time will tell but I do say it is ironic to see him returning at this most problematic time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems extremely ironic with all the problems the team is struggling with, Josh Hamilton returning is going to help. Not saying he won't produce. Not saying it's not a good move because only time will tell but I do say it is ironic to see him returning at this most problematic time.
Yes, it is very ironic.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is everyone, everywhere going to be Profar for the rest of our frigging lives?

Besides, when Profar was asked to do this, he really had no experience doing anything but SS and a little 2nd. Plus, when they stuck him in this role, he was only 20. Rua is 25 and may be much more able to handle the situation.

Also, it would be a chance to get Rosales outta here too.

I just don't see it being good for his development.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. This team has way too many problems without adding another. Just to much crap going on to address and fix over night. Didn't happen in Rome and it won't here either.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get me wrong. I'm not married to this idea. B/c that's all it is, fodder for thought.

With Rua, being a natural INF to begin with, I was very impressed how quickly he adapted to being in LF. He may be one of those guys that can now wear the "several hat position" and not have it overwhelm him.

But, if this at all effects his potential with the bat, then it's not only a bad idea to try this, it's a terrible one.

Last edited:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Rosales doesn't play SS any more either despite being a UIF. His role is to backup Beltre and sorta be suitable sub at 2b. He fills two spots on the roster. Corner and middle sub. Reason he's got two jobs and as with anyone with two jobs means he does neither real well -- is because TEX is carrying a Rule 5 fifth OFer.

With addition of Hamilton, the sub-.100 Choo, Rua potential, Smolinski struggling, Peguera showing spots of Cruz-like potential but one too many LH batsand then the Rule 5 DeShields.

Really don't need to carry 5 OFers and not having real CIF and MIF backup coverage. In no way should Rua be turned into a super IF OF sub.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosales doesn't play SS any more either despite being a UIF. His role is to backup Beltre and sorta be suitable sub at 2b. He fills two spots on the roster. Corner and middle sub. Reason he's got two jobs and as with anyone with two jobs means he does neither real well -- is because TEX is carrying a Rule 5 fifth OFer.

With addition of Hamilton, the sub-.100 Choo, Rua potential, Smolinski struggling, Peguera showing spots of Cruz-like potential but one too many LH batsand then the Rule 5 DeShields.

Really don't need to carry 5 OFers and not having real CIF and MIF backup coverage. In no way should Rua be turned into a super IF OF sub.

I'm betting Delino gets the boot when Josh is ready.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Law listed his top 25 players under 25 playing in the bigs now. He listed Odor as, "just missed" of which he was one of only 2.

For whatever that's worth.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting Delino gets the boot when Josh is ready.

Can't imagine this isn't the plan.

Now, I was listening to Hitzges a few minutes ago, and he quoted EG with saying Hamilton will be activated/starting on May 11.

Norm seemed to think this is a physical impossibility.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I was listening to Hitzges a few minutes ago, and he quoted EG with saying Hamilton will be activated/starting on May 11.

Norm seemed to think this is a physical impossibility.

Would have to agree. Going to need alot longer than 2 weeks to get in to a rhythm. He hasnt went through extended spring training yet... May 11 is pushing it.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wash: :pout::pout::bawling::bawling:

Site needs a laughing smiley that transitions into a crying one. Cause that's how I feel about this tweet.